PDW for Wife- newbie here please help me decide

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Levi Streiter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    She has been asked many times... she doesn't know enough to have an opinion, and is trusting my judgement for her. Quite a novelty in 2020 right?

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Does she want to be armed?

FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.

3. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Yes. We're also planning on going to the range for dates, one of the few things still open lol

bnaples likes this.
  4. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    What guns has she shot and found comfortable to use? Maybe that would be a starting point in the search.

FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  5. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm telling you....i expected very little from a 400 dollar gun. This thing runs like a top and is very simple to break down and clean. It's a winner in the 22 realm. It is oddly shaped when used as a pistol but quite capable. I have the adapter for the brace but still waiting for the brace.

livinthelife likes this.
  6. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    We went to a range with handguns awhile back... she did fine. She was actually kind of insulted last night when I questioned whether or not she could handle a harder hitting round like .300, so that may be the answer. By the way, you a guy or gal? Your profile picture shows gal

7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I have been guilty of saying "let her pick something she FEELS suits her" but it occurs to me that there are women (and men) in the army and police who don't get a choice. They are TRAINED to shoot what is issued. She can shoot anything she can pick up and load... if she will.

My closest Lady acquaintance has progressed beyond what Hubby and I recommended based on FEEL and conventionality, but it is progress, not first impressions.

8. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    My avatar is my daughter & my son. Hope this works out for her, best.

FWoo45, gps man and UBOATDOC like this.
  9. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm always armed. Shield 9mm, Shield EZ 9mm, S&W 642, 340PD, 342Ti, 642, 60-7, Sig 365, HK Expert 45, even a 1911 weather permitting. (most usually but not always only one at a time)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    livinthelife, FWoo45, gps man and 3 others like this.
  10. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Mouche, You will be forgiven....I am sure.....well before either HooDoo or me.

gps man and Scaramouche like this.
  11. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    For home defense I keep a variety of handguns around the house. Hi-cap 9mm in all the bathrooms, HK 45 Expert in my bedroom along with an auto loading gas operated 12 ga shotgun. 40 S&W in the Kitchen, SA TRP 45 elsewhere. Various other handguns here and there.
    My suggestion is to educate on gun safety, then on weapon operation. Then go somewhere to try as many as possible and let her make an educated AND informed choice.
    For me, there is no one gun for home defense but many choices. Where my houses are situated I don't have to worry about over penetration, only about having enough weapon to do the job and having one very close no matter where I am. I also keep several AR style 5.56 here and there. My guns are also out of sight and no one has yet seen any of them when in my home.
    Another thing to get is a good set of electronic ear protection. If trouble comes knocking and there is opportunity to put them on, do so and then turn them up as loud as possible so as to hear everything even better.
    Let her become proficient with as many different guns as possible. Even a 22 magnum is a decent choice for use in the house, just a bit loud.
    Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    That’s a lot to be carrying around all at once! Lol

1911 crazed likes this.
  13. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    9mm pistol caliber carbine.
    Red dot sight.
    White light.
    Laser.
    Shoulder stock/brace.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    FWoo45, UBOATDOC and gps man like this.
  14. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    Those are obviously just some of the choices. There's a few more but not worthy of mention.

UBOATDOC and gps man like this.
  15. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    If we are talking about something for home defense, a full size handgun with a red dot is a perfectly viable option. Its much easier maneuver indoors. Its also easier to hold a handgun in one hand and a phone in the other vs. a rifle.

In the past year I've become more interested in a Flux defense chassis system for the p320 and will probably pick one up once they become available again. Its closer to an actual PDW compared to an SBR or PCC.

FWIW, I've had some time working with PDWs and they aren't very comfortable to use or shoot. They tend to compress my shooting position a lot. Handguns and SBRs feel much more natural to maneuver. They are also pretty niche items and a significant compromise between a handgun and an SBR.

Many have said it before, but I'll echo the sentiment again. Your wife will probably be more comfortable with the thing *she* chooses. If she doesn't have a lot of experience she probably doesn't know what features she really wants, so its up to you to show her as many options as possible.

(not my pic)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  16. Greg75

Greg75 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2020
    H&K SP5K PDW

17. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    women seem to like the Beretta CX4 Storm. Short, light, low-maintenance, very reliable and will accept factory 20 and 30 round mags (9mm).

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    If you want short and light I’d recommend the Sig MPX-K. These things shoot ridiculously soft and even with a suppressor will be easy to maneuver. Plus with mag extensions your row running 40+1 rounds.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-mpx-k.html

180B90EE-A737-44F0-8BDC-C93F955279D6.jpeg

19. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    These look great- if I can find one anywhere. Banshee and JP GMR15 also good for 9mm

20. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I don’t know much about the Banshee but the JP is a fine weapon, more for competition though. The piston system in the MPX makes it shoot very soft. A lot of the 3 Gun guys have switched from JP’s to MPX. I have the MPX PCC, it will put every shot in the X ring as fast as I can pull the trigger. I have it loaded with some pretty hot Underwood +P+ (147gr @ 1175fps - 9mm Major) as a second floor house carbine.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted