Pellet Smoker/Grill

Discussion in 'Munchies' started by fatbaldguy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    The Pit Boss Sportsman 820 is calling my name. Reviews are pretty good. Anybody have one? Ease of cleaning? Should I just go ahead and get the Camp Chef that is comparable?

azpoolguy and Colorado Sonny like this.
  2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    In for the info.

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    There was an extensive thread on smokers a while a go, but you started it! :D

fatbaldguy likes this.
  4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    I'm lazy. I had read it and couldn't find it quickly. I need an education pretty durn quick.

Colorado Sonny, Greg M. and gps man like this.
  5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I got nothing.
    I use either an offset wood smoker or a Weber kettle.
    A buddy swears by a Yoder over Traeger.

Dub likes this.
  6. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’m looking at pellet smokers as well, and in my research and talking to friends who are serious meat cookers, Pit Boss is what’s been recommended to me.

7. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    I'm in for the info.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  8. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Hitchin up here too.

9. Cheeks1989

Cheeks1989 Active Member

Nov 13, 2019
    I have a Yoder it’s amazing. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

CardiacColt68 likes this.
  10. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Which one do you have. They look nice.

11. Cheeks1989

Cheeks1989 Active Member

Nov 13, 2019
  12. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Edjumacation can be espensive! ;)

fatbaldguy and Capthobo like this.
  13. Sniper 217

Sniper 217 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Green Mountain Grill here. I like it quite a bit.

retrieverman and FWoo45 like this.
  14. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    I think a lot depends on budget and how often you'll use it.

I wanted to try a pellet smoker and bought the vertical Pit Boss for a few hundred dollars. I don't use it much, but it's worked well except when it's windy out. I'll get flare ups and huge temp increase.

I think it's worth the money. Definitely some better quality smokers out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Colorado Sonny and retrieverman like this.
  15. JonFrank

JonFrank Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I really really enjoy my pellet grill.

It’s not the best grill on the market. And it’s certainly not the best smoker out there.

But for convenience...it does both well.

It’s a wonderful compromise.

Thing with pellet smokers is they all (I’m fairly confident) run off a controller. It’s my belief that, other than how long the steel will last in the elements, the controller algorithms/pid settings make the difference.

I fell into a gently used Traeger from a family friend. After a few years of using it I upgraded the controller to a Savannah Stoker that holds much more consistent temps.
    IMG_0490.jpg

It’s great for weeknight cooks and holds its own with smoking meat on the weekend. It still won’t beat a traditional wood smoker.

16. Cheeks1989

Cheeks1989 Active Member

Nov 13, 2019
    I’m surprised they don’t have bbqdelight on the list. Cookinpellets are my favorite also followed by bbqdelight.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  17. Green Face

Green Face Good/Fast/Cheap

Apr 16, 2017
    I have been a pellet grilled for quite some time. I had a Traeger Ironwood that worked very well in the time I owned it, I sold it when we moved out of state. I then had a RecTec that was also very good. I sold it for something more portable, and went with a Grilla Chimp.

A bit of insight on quality and the trendy items like sear vents on the PitBoss. PitBoss is cheap stuff, thin metal, and they put a sear vent on the drip tray. Does it work, yes. Is it high quality, no. There’s instances with grease penetrating though the sear vent on the drip tray and causing fires. Good luck finding replacement parts (hot rod, etc).

Traeger is nothing more than a name at this point. Quality suffers and is about the same as PitBoss or Green Mountain Grilla. Traeger uses thin steel for all the components and the only stainless parts you’re going to get is the drip tray. Traeger Customer service will fight you every step of the way if you have issues. Parts are readily available at many local sources (Ace hardware and Some big box stores).

RecTec is good quality for the money. They’re a great balance of quality vs money. You get a lot of stainless steel, barrel, drip tray, fire pot, and diffuser. They have WiFi controllers, which is handy. Customer service is very good, and they get you parts quickly if you need them.

Grilla uses a carbon barrel, but they do have a very thick stainless drip tray, fire pot, and diffuser. No WiFi (yet). The controller is easy to use and very stable in controlling temp. Customer service is top notch, should you need it.

There’s much more expensive and higher quality stuff out there, Smoking Brothers, Yoder, MAK, etc. Are they worth it? IMO, no. They do the same job, but do have the advantage of being American made with some nice options like being all stainless.

My final advice would be to look hard at RecTec or Grilla.

Lineman1982, gps man and Mack01 like this.
  18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    In for the info. I've had a traeger, upgraded the controller, replaced parts, blah blah, gave it to my folks. They don't use it, I should take it back. Now i have a GMG, wifi, been pretty happy with it but the wifi craps out sometimes. About a 50/50 split of my crap router and the grill screwing up. It works pretty darn good for what I use it for and I used to work with a guy on their support team so I just call him whenever. I don't believe in one grill. That's like saying one 1911, or one woman, or one flavor of ice cream, or one brand of bourbon, you get my drift. I don't think that pellet grills work well as an end all be all. I cook outside 95+% of the time. I also have a gas grill (Weber, only way to go), charcoal (again Weber, there are other good options though), and an outdoor flat top (mine's a Blackstone but there are plenty of options). I still want a ceramic egg grill and maybe one of those cajun fryers. YMMV.

gps man and ILED93 like this.
  19. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Another vote for Rec Tec. I've had mine for years. Consistent temp and great smoke.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted