Pellet Smoker/Grill

Discussion in 'Munchies' started by fatbaldguy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I bought a Traeger from Costco two years ago, I took it back four weeks later. It had a hard time coming up to temperature.

2. das_dude

das_dude “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude Supporting Addict

Nov 2, 2015

3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Yoder YS640S. 300 lbs of American Steel. And lots of cooking space. And the built in Fireboard is a cool tool.

Cheeks1989 likes this.
  4. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I’ve had a Traeger for 3 years. It works fine. Pellet grills are an easy way into smoking meat. I would like an offset smoker now though.

The Blackstone Grill has really heightened my enjoyment of outdoor cooking though.

CardiacColt68 likes this.
  5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    “I don’t believe in one grill...”

Yeah I hear you.

I grill and smoke quite a bit.

My Weber and my Oklahoma Joe’s offset wood smoker does everything thing I need to do.

And yet... I want a Yoder... and a Kamado Joe....

Dad gummed addictions...

CardiacColt68 and FWoo45 like this.
  6. Mack01

Mack01 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 26, 2019
    Another Rec-Tec fan here RT-700 never have had a problem with it and their customer service is outstanding.

KTXdm9 and FWoo45 like this.
  7. CardiacColt68

Dec 17, 2015
    DO IT. I have the Yoder and a 12 year old Green Egg. Great combo.

Cheeks1989 and gps man like this.
  8. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    I just ordered a MAK pellet grill.

The company seems to have a good reputation (and it's nice to purchase a product made in the USA).

FWoo45, CardiacColt68 and Cheeks1989 like this.
  9. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I hear good things about Yoder. That said I’m down here in Texas where we take BBQ seriously. In fact we put on a BBQ competition in November where some of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo competitors come to hone their craft.

That said I don’t have room for a traditional offset log smoker. I just ordered a CookShack/Fast Eddy’s FEC-100 pellet smoker. They’re better and worse units out there but a lot on competitions across the USA have been one with them.

D46FF308-7F69-471E-8FAF-B2FA51B95A77.jpeg

BBP, FWoo45, gps man and 2 others like this.
  10. CardiacColt68

Dec 17, 2015
    I’m no professional, but IMO it’s about 10% equipment and 90% cook. I know some people that can cook great food on Weber Kettle grills or even over an open wood fire. But much like guns there is nothing wrong with having great tools.

FWoo45 and gps man like this.
  11. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I can shoot pretty good with a glock. I can shoot just as good or better with a nighthawk and would prefer to carry it.

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    And just for the record, there’s a world of difference between grilling and smoking.

RIS, CardiacColt68 and FWoo45 like this.
  13. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    ED16867D-4BD1-4B77-B0B5-417BAFA9F124.jpeg 0445A4FD-FDC5-42CA-87C7-D847E04F82B6.jpeg This was taken last night and was the first food I have had off of a Traeger. Been friends with these folks since before my wife and I got married 14 years ago and some how they have always just came to our house. Not my way to cook but it wasn’t terrible.

14. 1MoreFord

1MoreFord New Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I've got a Camp Chef SG24 on the way so I can join the club. I plan on running either Lumberjack or B&B/BBQ Delight pellets in it since I can get them locally at a good price. Sure hope these things work as well as folks say they do.

15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I hear great things about B&B. I used them in my last few smokes with great results.

16. 1MoreFord

1MoreFord New Member

Mar 12, 2020
    My grill arrived and I got it put together.

The first run with B&B Pecan pellets wasn't very good. The second run at a lower temp and higher smoke number went better and the third run at still a lower temp and still higher smoke number was the best yet.

Even though the cooks have been getting better I'm still going to make the run to the next town and pick up some 100% hickory Lumberjack pellets to try. I think they may be the ticket for me.

17. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Which B&B pellet were you using? Championship Blend?

You’re in Arkansas so you’ll prob do a good amount of pork & beef. What woods do you traditionally smoke with over there. In Texas it’s traditionally Post Oak for beef (and most everything else).

Also what temps were you running for what meats?

18. 1MoreFord

1MoreFord New Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I got their Pecan to start with. It's an Oak blend and all B&B are actually BBQr's Delight pellets rebranded.

Hickory is the best known smoking wood here as far as advertising is concerned. Those of us who cook at home will mostly use Hickory or Oak. But some will also use Fruit woods, Pecan, or Mesquite as they see fit or happen to have at the time. Stick burners tend to use Oak or Hickory as it's generally easier to find while charcoal burners who use chunks, and pellet burners tend to use more varied woods.

The first cook was a spatchcocked chicken at 325°F. The second cook was a short cook of some brats at 300° and the last cook was loin back ribs at 260°.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted