1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know from my previous threads here, Pistol Annie and I have spent the past year taking a variety of gunsmith classes at schools in Troy, NC and Tishomingo, OK. I have accumulated something on the order of 320 hours of work ranging from basic gunsmithing to benchmetal to mill/lathe work to precision semi-auto barrel fitting, with 1911 Design/Function/Repair, Precision 1911 and Competition 1911 in between.

Annie has focused more on aesthetics. She took some basic gunsmithing, an official 1-day GLOCK Armorer course, and then went into engraving and stippling. In March she will learn the basics of Cerakote application. She likes GLOCKS, because of the wide variety of drop-in parts and the easily modified polymer frames. So here's a picture of my old Gen 3 G19 she's working on now.

perfecting-the-GLOCK.jpeg

This is the fourth full gun (incl. her two G34s and G19) she's reworked - after working through about a half-dozen cut frames for practice. She's removed the finger bumps I found irritating, and is doing a double undercut and some rounding on the trigger guard. Then she will re-pattern the grip with something that she likes.

When she's done I'll post finished pictures. I may drop in a CMC trigger. Annie likes Apex, but I'll probably try something different. Just because. Maybe I'll let her use it as a test dummy for the Cerakote class.

I don't shoot the gun often because I don't much like it, but the work she does really made a difference in comfort on her guns. So, who knows? I might enjoy the finished product.

Finished pictures in a few weeks.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,525 Posts
Try a Johnny Glock trigger, nothing else compares

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a G34 frame in need of a rescue if your interested.

I’m on the cusp of attempting a epoxy silicon carbide job to cover a botched stipple (by others).
Let’s see how she does on this one before we get carried away

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try a Johnny Glock trigger, nothing else compares
Apex - $150
CMC - $185
Johnny - $200-$360

Why am I not surprised that would be your favorite? They sure are shiny. Annie's reaction was borderline erotic ;-)

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,525 Posts
Apex - $150
CMC - $185
Johnny - $200-$360

Why am I not surprised that would be your favorite? They sure are shiny. Annie's reaction was borderline erotic ;-)
Well, you can make the uptake virtually zero and they break like glass, it's not a 1911 trigger but as close as you'll get with a Glock and turned my G43 into a shoot-able weapon from a piece of junk but I do understand the cost factor.

Read his reviews, they speak for themselves.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Read his reviews, they speak for themselves.
I did. They have an almost religious fervor. I have little doubt they are worth the money. And the polished parts and CNC trigger shoes are works of art. If I were really into Glocks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good on you for taking on all the classes. Especially with your SO. Good on both of you.
Thanks. We were lucky that we had the time and opportunity. We were both late starters in the world of firearms and it has been awesome to have that kind of “shortcut” available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
THanks for posting another great thread on gunsmithing education. it is inspiring

I admire the quest for knowledge you and Annie have taken up. I would lov e to follow in your foot steps one day--if I ever get to retire

Reactions: TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Annie's working on the front strap now. In-progress photo. Not sure about this pattern, but we'll see.

The-GLOCKstrap.jpeg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts