1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The end of another busy day

Making precision metal checkering GREAT again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pete's , it's my great pleasure to know you and benefit from your obsession for getting things exactly right. I've never heard from or seen one complaint from all the work you've done for Colt over the years. Most of the time we hear from folks who have taken the time to look at it and admire it very closely. Keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome friends!

Today since it's 12/31/2020 I'm going to change my first Scotch Brite wheel, the workhorse of a metal shop, must be 25 years old so I figured it don't owe me anything.

You may be wondering how I get such extraordinary life out of the wheel?

One reason is; freezing it 30 degrees below ZERO before use. This keeps everything running cool and makes the wheel exceptionally hard producing mirror finishes. Only thing I wish I'd bought a frost free freezer.

The little Baldor 1/3 horse power buffer is also one of the best machines I ever bought, back then they where $139 and free shipping for orders over $150 and the wheels were $19.99, smoking good deal.

I like the Light Deburring 7S density 6" dia. by 1" wide, and a 9S x 1/2" wide

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Looks like you got a case of “cutting oil” in that fridge as well.

From you 2nd favorite carbide end mill guy :geek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Below is a video from my 1911 Studio's showing tuning the ejection pattern on a scoped 9mm Bianchi Cup pistol to clear the scope mount.

In my 'Tip of the Day' segment or 'throw you a bone', take the video with cell phone in slow moe mode to study the pattern.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Folk's the chip pile is getting deeper!

One secret to making nice fine piles of super chips is the high helix 5 flute, coated, finisher mill with chip breakers spaced throughout the flutes, these 'breakers' will cut the chip so you don't get big piles of long strings of chips, the long chips are harder to exhaust from the mill and will double back and get recut, and bad thing.

Another 'secret' is a ultra super grade of high pressure flood 'cutting' oil. A lot of folk use water base 'coolants' I believe out of convenience because oil is messier, I think the water quenches carbide to rapidly and fractures it and dulls it.

I have to chuckle when people use motor oil like Mobil 1 as a 'cutting oil'. Cutting oils have no lubricating value and are designed to cut. Motor oils are designed to lubricate and reduce friction and wear, make thing slip & slide. You need the opposite with a cutting oil, it needs to dig in and cut, not resist cutting, a lubricant will want to make a the tool deflect.

I once had a job cutting big pipe threads on a threading machine using dies forming the threads. We ran out of cutting oil so someone ran out and bought motor oil, as the die started cutting the threads the steel bound up in the die and rung off the threads, almost ruined the die.

Here's the allusive 5 flute finisher

Another secret to the chip pile is a super sharp cutter, here @ Metal Smithing Laboratories I developed a microscopic honing compound added to the cutting fluid harder than diamond, as the mill cuts slathered in the fortified cutting oil, it actually hones the cutting edge sharpening the tool as it cuts, making the cutting edge sharper and sharper, thus eliminating the need for new tools. Tools will remain sharp to infinity & beyond! (USA Patent Pending, waiting on approval from the chineezz gum't)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 5 flute high helix chip breaker finishing mill is used to true the frontstrap before cutting the checkered toofs, so we a working around a true surface. The frontstrap may look uniformed, but they are finish ground by a hand finisher, like on a grinding belt. These below will have to be adjusted and re-run............

Here @ 1911 Metal Smithing Technologies I work 7 days week (or when I am not fishing of crabbing) supplying the pistolsmithing community with precision metal checkering.
Even when it appears I am resting or sleeping I am still working, (I am probably writing CNC G-code programming in my memory bank to be downloaded in morning)

1 - 20 of 134 Posts