close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photo Contest sponsored by VZ Grips.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trent, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Okay everyone it is time for our first contest here at 1911 Addicts sponsored by the guys over at VZ Grips. The contest will start today and end at 11:59 PM on September 5th.

[​IMG]

Okay guys, this is how it will work.
    • Each member may post one picture of you favorite 1911 and a explanation of why it is your favorite. It doesn't have to be a novel, if it doesn't take a lot to explain why, that is fine.
    • The entries will be judged off originality of the picture and the explanation of why it is your favorite. (Don't worry if you aren't a "good photographer". That won't be an issue.)
    • All entries will be judged by Myself, Mike at VZ Grips, and one other member of the 1911 Addicts team.
    • The winner will be allowed to pick out one pair of 1911 grips with whatever options they please (i.e. bobtail, ambi safety, etc.). Carbon Fiber grips are not included in the contest.

Alright guys, let's see some pics! Oh, and make sure to spread the word to your friends so they can get in on the action.

Also be sure to check out VZ's website for all your grip needs!!! www.VZGrips.com

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    And don't worry, staff members are not eligible to participate in contests.

3. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    This is my very first semi-custom 1911 and I had to sacrifice two other firearms for this one. It will go to the grave with me. It was a bunch of guys who are mostly here that helped push me towards a Baer and I have not regretted the decision. I took this pick on a marble slab because like the slab the Baer looks just as hard with frag grips.

[​IMG]

4. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is my first Semi-Custom (Les Baer Custom Carry) it is my favorite as it was a gift from my wife for my 30th birthday, it is the one gun I own I can say will never leave my side.

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

This Wilson CQB was also my first semi-custom. I never had thought at any point in time I would be able to afford a Wilson and I would just have to lust over them for years!! Luckily, I came into some money quickly and my girlfriend surprised me by paying the rest off for a christmas present and here it is!!! This is my favorite 1911 because it is my workhorse!!! I received it in March and so far it has 5,200 rounds through it. I use it mostly in IDPA/USPSA and have won many matches with it and placed very high in others! It is my most prized possession and no matter how many other 1911's i own after it, it will always be my first semi custom

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    This is the first 1911 I ever shot, at about the age of 9.

This is my Dad's 1914 Colt (both retired from USMC in 1969). It's lacking the original barrel and grips, and the grip safety is A1, because the original (which I also have) is soooo short! Being 100% as originally built really isn't a big deal with this one. The fact that it traveled to SE Asia with my Dad, and brought him home safe, is!

This was not an "issue" weapon for him in SEA. During the Korean Conflict, my dad was a machine gunner, carrying the Browning light (relative term here) .30 (M1919?). This pistol is one he "picked up" and was allowed to keep by his platoon leader. Later in his career, when he became an NCO, and since RHIP, he started to carry it as his personal weapon. First trip was to an unscheduled vacation to Gitmo during the Cuban Missile Crisis, then later to Viet Nam.

I have stewardship of this one as he is permanently disabled and doesn't have the hand-strength anymore to control it as he'd like. He still has, carries, and shoots quite well, a little Llama .32ACP copy in miniature (I have a second as a spare, but his just keeps perking right along).

My Dad with his youngest great-grandson:
    [​IMG]

My favorite 1911:
    [​IMG]

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Brash and smooth as silk, a flat out wicked pistol.. Everything a 1911 should be.. Cheers.. Ron

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  8. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is my favorite 1911. It's an original USGI Colt 1911 made in 1918 during the first World War. It belonged to my mentor who was a past President of the National Sculpture Society. He sculpted the Presidential portraits for 2 US Presidents and many Governors, mayors, celebrities, etc. How he got the 1911 is another story. He was a Army Air Corps pilot in WWII. This 1911 came home with him and it resided, boarded up in a wall in an old fabric dye mill on a river that doubled as his studio for many years. The reason it was boarded up for so many years is because his family has struggled with mental illness for many generations. He put it there so his son wouldn't use it on himself or others. One day he told me about it and after hearing his story, I recommended that he should take this special memento of his service out of its hiding place and clean it up so it didn't corrode. He drew me a map of where it was and asked me to clean it for him. He was in his 80's at the time. I sneaked down to it's hidden location, disassembled the wall where it was hidden and spirited it home for a much needed cleaning. When I brought it back to him the next day, he gave it to me and told me to keep it and not to tell his son. It's very special to me because I was the only person that this very special and accomplished man told his story to and the only person he trusted enough to give it to.

deadite

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Springfield Armory EMP 9mm by John Harrison

[​IMG]

This is my only, and favorite 1911 I own. This gun is IMO, a masterpiece built by one of the best smiths in the world. This is simply my "go-to" gun for everything, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I got this gun in the winter of 2010, I sent it off in early 2011, and got it back during the summer. I have 2,100 rounds through this EMP and it's been used, but not abused. I've run it dirty and put it away wet, I use it for EDC, range, and USPSA. It sees a lot of use and I am damn proud of this little gun.

Because this gun is my USPSA SS gun, it could use some super aggressive grips, which of course I don't have. I'm fighting the abnormality of using a 3" 1911 for USPSA, one match at a time. It's one hell of a gun.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Neighborhood kitty snuff yard

Aug 19, 2011
    Well here is a story of a poor college student, and the trials and tribulations he went through entering into the handgun world:

When I turned 21, I had some money in my pocket, and I wanted my first handgun to protect myself with and to have fun with. I worked at a federal base at the time and had buddies that worked in the firearms department, and I thought to myself, 'Self, who would be better to ask about handgun recommendations for a first time gun buyer, than some guys who have 100's of them and work with them everyday?. I being the young, naive(dumb), and dashingly handsome(up for debate) twenty-one year old that I was, thought that there would be a perfect answer, and they would be the ones to give me that handgun recommendation. Well I only knew one thing when I started my quest for my first handgun, and that was I knew I wanted a 1911. My best-friend had a Springer GI, and he let me shoot that bad boy, and boy was it sweet and sexy.

So I took that one concrete perimeter and talked to the guys with the knowledge, all 3 of them seemed to agree on which 1911 to get, and you'll never guess the brand........Taurus. 'Oh boy', they would say, "That thing is sweet, priced right and has all the custom options, that you only get on a 2k+ 1911, but you'll pay 1.6k just for the name and nothing else!'. 'My god', I thought to myself, "A 2k 1911 for 500 bucks? Hot damn that has got to be the gun for me.' What can I say I was young, and in love with a sexy pistol named Taurus, oh did I mention I was young and dumb?

So being the savvy shopper I was, I hopped on the internet to look for some more information and good prices. My god, I thought i broke google, it practically explode with such phrases as: Piece of ****, waste of money, Jam-o-matic, worst 1911 on the market, and some guy name Flipper saying they were the best bang for your buck 1911 out there:grin:. So I said how can this be? I had many experienced firearms guys tell me that it was great, but I should have known, you don't ask polymer guys advice on 1911's.

So what did I do? Did i give up my search and just jump on the polymer bandwagon that everyone seem to think was the best bet? NO, that 1911 with the "old-time" design, crappy 7 round capacity, and unreliable function, had me hypnotized. The grip angle, the beautiful design, the history, the accuracy, well I couldn't think of as many back then as I can now, but I knew that that baby was the gun for me. So I decided it was going to be a carry gun so let me see what options I had in the 3.5" area.

When I came across a little company called Rock Island Armory, and Lo and Behold it had great reviews, people loved these little things. So i asked my "expert" friends, and what did they said? 'Blah! A gun from the Philippians? Don't do it! Get a glock!" Well I thought if that is the best reason they could come up with, I was going to go with my heart (plus what is the difference between a Philipino gun and a Austrian gun?)! So I ordered myself a half tactical/half GI compact RIA. Boy did I love that thing, small, light, accurate, reliable. I was in love, I thought I'd have that thing forever.

Then, a few months later, my big flaw came creeping up, my incessant need to change things, to have something new, came creeping up. I started finding flaws with my little wonder gun, "THAT GROSS, billboard on the side! The Cast Frame!" Those were my piss poor excuses, and you know what I wanted to replace it with? I dare not say the name of that evil that overtook me with desire, I will only say that I sold my RIA and purchased a gun that lead me to a certain website where we all met.

Well I will not go into any details about that handgun made of pure evil, because I am ashamed of that part of my life. So I started to look for the gun of my dreams, and I went to the local gun store after a few months of searching, and there she was.........Wood grips, clean, used but not abused, fullsize, elegant billboard, no FCS, and a good company to boot. A Springfield Armory GI model, the one that started the whole love affair. How could I say no? It was starring at me with a low round count, no idiot marks, and gorgeous looks. So I put the evil gun up on an classified website, told the buyer to meet me in front of the gunshop, sold it for 500, bought the Springer for 400, bought a Kwart holster and some ammo, and have been carrying it ever since. I love it, it is amazing and I carry it every day, It is comfortable and reliable all I need out of it, it delivers. Now we are both living happily ever after, keeping my Fiance safe, and looking good while doing it.

That was the story of my love and infidelity with 1911's, a mistake i will never make again, and I am happy to share it with you guys!

Also pictured is my Remington .243 my dad gave me when I was 16, I've killed every deer with it, and I got my first buck last year, and that is the antler picture! This is the only gun i love more than my 1911, it is accurate, lightweight, and has never failed me. Plus It means a lot to me, my father is a great man.
    Thanks for listening guys and good luck to everyone!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Like I said, it isn't the picture quality so much. It is more the quality of the time put into the setup and theme, and the story behind it.

12. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
  13. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Good hahahaha

14. brisk21

brisk21 Member

Aug 20, 2011
    This is a full collection pic. The 1911 is at the top for a reason. I have quite a few guns. I have a hunting rifle that I inherited from my grandpa. I have a .38 S&W revolver that my father carried as a police officer many years ago. I have a .22 pistol that my wife bought me for Christmas our first year we were married. I have 2 great carry handguns in the LCP and the PPS. My dad gave me the 10/22 and the 870. I purchased everything else with my own hard earned money. If I could only keep one gun, it would easily be the 1911. If I could only own that one gun, I would carry it even though its too heavy. I would hunt with it even though its just a handgun, I would defend my home with it even though it doesn't have a rail for a light. I would let go of every single gun I have before the 1911, even the sentimental ones. There are more practical guns that I own. There are guns that fire cheaper ammo. There are guns that hold more ammo. None of that really matters because the 1911 is the BEST gun that I own, and its the BEST gun that you own.

[​IMG]

15. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm a beyond horrible photographer. Just send me some sweet grips because I am cheap and don't want to spend the cash for them. :biggrin1:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  16. Scamp

Scamp Boomer Sooner

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks to a lot of the guys that are here now, I am now broke all the time, and it all started with this RIA 1911.

[​IMG]

17. OrlandoRealtor

OrlandoRealtor Kimber Ultra SS Raptor

Aug 23, 2011
    I like the Grips that came on my Ultra Raptor!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  18. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This was once a Springfield Amory GI model, the only thing that remains is the frame and slide. Everything else has been upgraded to milled/tool steel/heavy duty/match parts from EGW and Wilson Combat. It was a long arduous journey in trying to find a smith that could do the frontstrap treatment and refinishing that I wanted. I settled in with Springfield Armory Custom Shop and that was a superb choice along with the Armory Kote matte. The grips are custom by Scott Sensing. Oak is my favorite type of wood and he was able to perfectly craft these for me and I applied the finish.

The intent of the build-up was to 1) learn the platform and operator level maintenance, 2) a hard use dependable weapon for CCW, 3) hand-me down family heirloom type of thing for my son whenever I croak.

[​IMG]

19. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    My first post so I hope this works...

Below is my current home protection. I have a Kimber Super Carry Pro for CCW but my TRP is the gun I carry while at home, in cold weather and sleep next to. Its the gun that my girlfriend sleeps next to when I'm not home. It's my no questions asked, go to gun. And it needs a set of VZ Operators II!!!

[​IMG]

20. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I'll give this a try...[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.