1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my short three months here I have gone a little crazy. My first purchase was a couple of Del Fati belts from Dangerous Brian and the gates didn't give, they were opened wide by the guy manning them. The Baer on bottom was my first firearm purchase here. I missed a beautiful ACW because I was "thinking". I was nearly heartbroken and decided that I would jump when it was time and not allow that to happen again. @lazeration8 posted the Baer for a great price and I jumped quick. I don't think it would have lasted an hour if I didn't grab it. Great guy, great seller and a great gun. Next up was the DW V-Bob that @theolog had on the classifieds. The clincher for me was the serial number. My son will be 18 on 9/16 and the serial is 169(16/9 isn't TOO much of a stretch, is it?). He is a fine young man, owns and maintains his own firearms already and will have his name and family nickname engraved on it before September. I have nothing but good things to say about him as well. Third was the GI NN hard chrome. This was part of the collection that includes the recent revolvers and Hi Powers Wichita Gun Club is selling. I was watching three guns while waiting for the rest to be posted. There was confusion and I was waiting for guns that weren't going to be posted. All three that I had my eye on sold. Ryan @WGC sent me a private message, unsolicited, to explain what happened and apologize even though he owed me nothing. I was impressed, honestly. Twenty minutes later the buyer backed out and I did not hesitate. Ironically, I think I'll be putting that one up on the classifieds myself. A wise man told me "GI makes nice guns, for someone else.". I cannot explain, it is a stunning firearm and in amazing condition. The trigger is remarkable and yet it does not tickle me as the others do. Finally, our dear @TheCollector wanted to part with his Benchmark Precision Commander. I had never waded into the full custom waters, but I knew I was headed that way. We worked out a deal that was suitable for us both and I picked it up yesterday. I'm not sure how many owners it's gone through, but the "unfired" bit will last another few hours. I am very impressed with every little detail and BP is on my list for those I would like to have build my first custom from the ground up. My youngest dog took a turn for the worse in what turned out to be a bladder cancer diagnosis while we were in the middle of our deal and Buster proved himself a passable therapist, not to mention an absolute gentleman. @WHDS Camo sold me a set of SK Mammoth Ivory grips that pleased me and @il duce a backpack that is headed this way now. I am free to be open and honest here. I am able to ask and answer questions freely. I am simply who I am and this forum allows it and celebrates it, even when it is at odds with the opinions or points of view of other members. I do not take debate personally and it is liberating. I am happy here and have found many of what I call "my people". Thanks for having me and I can't wait for what's next, whatever that even means.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Go for it, retirement is so over rated! I joined this forum about a year ago, didn’t own and never owned a 1911. After several deals, both buying and selling a few, I feel like I’m on the right path. Enjoy your purchases as they are very nice. I’ve never been steered wrong with answers to my questions here and it’s absolutely a great group to get advice from.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of the four pictured which one do u feel is the best?
That's a great question. I have fired the Baer enough to know it's a winner. The DW only had three mags through it by me to be sure it was good to go and will be fired a lot after my son's birthday in September. It has a wonderful trigger and looks to be a great gun. The GI has been in my possession for about ten days and I have not fired it. The trigger is nice and it is in great shape, but that's as far as I've gone with it. The BP has been in my hands for 26 hours and if it shoots like it looks and feels I think it will get the honors.

I am thankful that I would have a hard time answering the question "Which do you feel is the worst?". At this point I am convinced that all four were good buys and the right gun for me at the right time for the right price. I think if I ever own another hard chrome gun it will be a two-tone, but even still I don't regret buying the GI at all. It's a well built gun and I know it will be traded for something else if it doesn't set my heart on fire when I shoot it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve been looking for an understanding “rehab” to no avail.

If I ever find one I’ll post the specifics so others can ease their way through withdrawal.

Good luck with your collection.
Your A2 Commander keeps calling me and now a Volkmann is in the classifieds. Brutal, yet still I have no interest in a cure for this particular sickness.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once all the evidence has been presented - the GI will emerge as the winner.

The DW will give you a strong urge to heavily customize it....

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,563 Posts
OP do yourself a favor and buy the Volkmann

Reactions: DRD and Merton

·
Registered
808 Posts
OP do yourself a favor and buy the Volkmann
Sound advice.
Info only, not recommending anything. Now about the GI: If you just don't like the feel or look of the GI, that's one thing, but if you don't like the way it shoots, and it's new or nearly new, give it time. Mine have ranged from tight to very tight when new but after a few hundred rounds, I loved them. They're really fine pistols.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts