close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photographing guns with a "Point & Shoot" camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Quack, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I was just messing around taking photo's for the site and decided to take a photo using my "point and shoot" camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5).

In this first photo, I took a basic shot of the setup in the dungeon (basement). The background is "Arctic White" photography background paper. The light is a single strobe, but any diffused light source would work as well.
    [​IMG]

Here's the photo right out of the camera. You can see that i used fishing line to hold the gun upright. It's a little under-exposed, but that's ok.
    [​IMG]

After importing the photo onto my computer, i used Lightroom 3 to blow out the white background. When this is done, most of the fishing wire dis-appears, but if you look at the top of the slide by the ejection port, you can see some of the line left. The shadow's are reduced, but i'll get rid of them in the next.
    [​IMG]

Using one of the brushes in LR3, I use a +4.00 exposure brush to get rid of the shadow and the little spec by the rear of the frame. i also got rid of the last of the fishing line.
    [​IMG]

Here's the camera that i used:
    [​IMG]

I also have 2 other how-to's on my blog.
    http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2011/02/photographing-gunspart-2.html
    http://quacksgunstuff.blogspot.com/2011/02/photographing-guns.html

ZoidMeister and miketx like this.
  2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool. Thanks for posting. Those pics came out really cool.

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Cheater!!!!! Just kidding!

I took a photography class in high school with a Nikon 35mm B&W film and I loved it. It was really neat developing your own pictures and messing with exposures and the different chemicals. I would really like to learn the "new way" of digital photography but I never got a real camera. I've wanted a DSLR since I took that class, but I can't afford one.

So I just use a cheap point and shoot! No paper, no lights, no "altering" the images. What I post is straight from the camera (obviously because it sucks LOL). :lol:

4. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Don,
    You are indeed a very good photographer! If you shot as much as you took photo's, I would not f**k with you!

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    i used to shoot 1000 rounds a week back when i wasn't working much

6. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE!!! A lot of people think its as good or better then throwing lead downrange

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    yep, i did that (and still do) too. when i first moved up to Ohio, i only worked 7 days the whole summer.

8. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    WOW! That would have been the life!

9. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Can you use the Color Right Pro with a point and shoot? That was an excellent tip, and gets used just about every exposure these days :thumb:

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    good to hear. it's the best white balance tool that i've used so far. if you can manually set the WB on the P&S, then i don't see why it wouldn't work. hmmm...i gotta see if my LX5 can set a custom WB.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    You didn't get rid of all the fishing wire. :tongueout:

12. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Didn't really know where to put this as it really more would apply to a DSLR camera. A picture of a nice little zoom lens!
    [​IMG]

13. Danno

Danno New Member

Aug 22, 2011
  14. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
  15. spleify

spleify Paracord nut!!

Feb 23, 2012
  16. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Very nice with a point-and-shoot. Shows how lighting is the key.

I consider myself an amateur photographer. I used to spend a lot of money, time, and physical and mental energy on it.

Enter, three little kids. I just got to a point where there was no point anymore, although I did attempt to get great shots of them.

Now, I'm finding that the opportunities are returning as the kids get older. I can feel the hobby coming back to life.

I'll be checking out your tutorials.

17. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

Dang! What's she overcompensating for?

Polizei1, you can get one of the newer Olympus models for well under a grand these days. I got mine for about $650 new, with two lenses. It's a great camera for a beginner and even the semi-pro, and very well priced for the amount of camera it really is.

18. atl_sti

atl_sti New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I need to learn to take photos like this, I'm just not a patient man.

19. 71jb

71jb New Member

Oct 2, 2015
  20. miketx

miketx Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    I took this with a Fuji Finepix.

Open-Cylinderps.jpg

The primer strike was not really there and I thought it needed it for some reason so instead of firing a round I photoshopped it!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted