close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Photography sub-forum

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Quack, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Since jst1tym asked, here it it.
    talk about your camera gear, show non-firearm photo's, post how-to's and anything else that is related to photography.

2. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    This is gonna be a cool section!

3. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Looking forward to learning how to take pics that are worth a damn. :biggrin1:

4. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Good one, Quack. Glad you put this one in as I'll be putting up some stuff that's NOT digital!............

tw

5. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    I had tons of film photo's, but don't know where they're at now :(

6. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    This will be a great subforum! And I'm sure will draw many out of the shadows with questions that never really had a proper place to start a thread. As mentioned in my original request to Quack, I'm clearly just a novice with so much to learn. In the past I've directed many questions to Quack about picture fundamentals, lighting, and digital camera know how. My greatest teacher has just been experience behind the lens. To gather practical digital camera know how, I turned to books...lots of them, on many different subjects. I first wanted to understand my camera better than the little manual that can at times be a bit more confusing than helpful, though as a quick on the go referrence it helps to keep you shooting in a jam. I ended up purchasing a book specific to my camera that went into great detail with clear and colorful illustrations to best define major/minor functions of the camera. Additionally, it'll open the door a little to unlimited possibilities of expanding the knowledge base.

From there, the info gleaned I was able to more accurately pin-point what type of lenses would best suit me for the kind of photography I wanted to do. Additionally, accessories and new gizmos that give the photographer a helping hand can serve to save time and eliminate unwanted guesswork to get that right shot the first time. Case in point. Quack pointed out to me that my white balance could use a little help with a photo I posted, and suggested a small hand held device called Color Right Pro. When used in just about any kind of lighting, this device when used as instructed can correct the white balance perfectly, with just a fast adjustment setting. Pretty much since, I've directed many, many questions his way, especially about indoor lightbox shooting. BTW, he has a simple to follow easy instructions on how to build a homemade indoor lightbox. He's a wealth of knowledge, believe me!

As for gear, everybody has a favorite, much like chevy vs ford vs .....From early on in the film SLR camera days I bought a Canon. And pretty much to this day still use them. There are however many others Nikon, Pentax, Kodak, Lelica, just to name a few, that are favored by many, and all with great merits. I've upgraded a couple of times to my current Canon and after settling on a camera, lenses are usually bought and sold to find what works best for you. I've narrowed my lenses down to three. A EF 17-40mm, EF 70-105mm, and a EF 70-200mm. These are suitable to what kind of exposures I make.

Equippment is important however, the person behind the lens makes the shot. There is no magic bullet here, outside of being photography gifted (having a good eye) make the shot, shoot, shoot, and more shooting! Read books, ask questions, try experimenting with new ideas..Post your exposures here, get some constructive criticism, and direction. I'm sure without doubt that there are many digital photographers that are willing and glad to give some suggestions. Everybody gets better, especially with a tool like the internet to share your photographs...Enjoy, and thanks Trent and Don for making this subforum happen :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Ah, on second thought maybe it wasn't such a popular idea....afterall, it is a gun forum :oops:

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Just entered the world of DSLRs earlier this year. Nikon D3100 here with 18-55 and 55-200 Nikkor VR lenses.

[​IMG]

Here's a few pics with it. I am nowhere near the photographer Quack is, but someday I hope to snatch the pebble from his hand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    ^ Way to read the rules Moderator...No gun pictures. :wink:

Crap, sorry. Didn't see that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  10. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Beautiful pics Hokie.

11. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

No doubt, Trent

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks Brian. :thumb: Looking forward to working with them a lot more with the new MacBook Pro.

13. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    you really like the Color Right Pro, don't you? :lol:
    I think it's one (if not the best) accessory to buy for a dSLR.
    i've tried white a few different white balance tool and the CRP is the best/easiest produca that i've used.

14. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Absolutely one of the very best products I've used. And in the Color Right Pro demonstration they use a Canon like mine to demonstrate with, so the instructions are very clear. I followed the instruction to a "T" and the shot came out perfect. This device is the best. If white balance issues put you a little off the shot, thry this, It can save time and perfect a great shot...

15. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    One other neat little device I recently bought is the C8 Phottix Cleon II wireless remote control set. Good for shooting off tripod for smooth sports shooting, and/or astronomy, macro shots, portraits. Plus eliminating any possible shake or movement when shooting off tripod for lightbox shots. Haven't used it yet but will post a review of it's uses when I can!

16. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Hokie, I just went over this thread again and realized I may have missed these photos. Great exposures, the first one is my favorite, good eye :thumb:

17. goyena72

goyena72 My RO

Feb 23, 2012
    Took these at Valley of fire..near Las Vegas MY PICTURES 143alt.jpg

18. Gun-nut

Gun-nut Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Great pics goyena! I've been to Vegas many times but never went exploring much out of the city. Next visit I will have to find some time. How far away from downtown is it?

19. goyena72

goyena72 My RO

Feb 23, 2012
    Thank you. Maybe 45 minutes.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted