Photos of My First 1911 Build

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Jan 20, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I appreciate all of those who have followed my first 1911 build with their comments, suggestions and torments. It has taken some time and I've had a few set backs:frusty:. I have learned a lot about 1911's and how they work. I don't claim to be a pistol smith:hail: or 1911 expert, I can however take one apart replace parts and put it back together. I've learned to fit; barrel bushings, slide to frame, grip safety, trigger, slide lock and barrel. I would like to learn more and build another 1911 but I need more tools to go to the next level. This is my first build and was built on a Wilson Combat frame/slide and I used mostly Wilson Combat Bullet Proof parts with a Nowlin Speed Demon ignition system. I shot it today after a final tune up. I put 100 rounds through it with no hiccups, no problems at all. I found it to be smooth and accurate (accurate for me). All in all I'm very happy with the outcome and a little proud in there also. The pictures I'm posting will be the before pictures as it now goes for engraving and then to be finished. Two points I would like to make;1st-if you're in a hurry don't try to build your own 1911 go buy one already built, 2nd-If you want to build one thinking you're going to save money go buy one already built. I will be glad to see questions, comments and criticism.
    Regards;
    Bill:grin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Well, you're on your way. Congrats.

If I may suggest, you might be better serve to go with a beavertail grip safety from either Wilson or Smith & Alexander. These will have the correct tang radius for the Wilson frame. The STI beavertail, thats on there now, has a different radius, thus the reason for the gap difference between the frame and BTGS. Of course this only serves as a mere cosmetic reason. But a lot of people pay attention to such area.

If you're going to change it, I'll take the old BTGS off your hands. :wink:

3. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    I'll give you credit you know your beaver tails! It is indeed an STI and a long story how it got there. I have a WC BTHG which is going to have to be replaced please don't ask why. I will say I am happy with the STI, it works very well and while it wasn't a drop in fit it was close. Thank you for the comment. I want as nice a looking build as possible and little things make a big difference.
    Bill

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Rewarding and impressive. Good job:thumb:

5. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Congrats.

I tried once, next time someone gets to do it for me. :frusty:

6. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Good job! Congrats.

7. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Awesome job my friend:thumbsup:

8. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Agreeing with and following up on your recommendation I am now in possession of a new Wilson Combat 298S beavertail. Would you want to stop by and help me fit it! All kidding aside after looking at it and my factory made Wilsons you're right the STI works but just doesn't look right. I want this to be a nicely finished project and the little things like the BTHG should fit and look proper. I appreciate the heads up although it hasn't been installed yet. My care package from Midway came with a new trigger pull scale. My build measures 3.5 pounds which is what I was trying to achieve, I think I'll leave well enough alone.
    Bill

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted