Picked up 2 pistols today

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ShootSuppressed, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ShootSuppressed

ShootSuppressed New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Picked up 2 pistols today....updated

Well yesterday I got the call that 2 of my pistols were ready to be picked up. The first is a Colt 1918 Repro that was dropped off at Vandenberg Customs, and the second is a Nighthawk Custom Talon II. We will get to the Nighthawk later.

The Colt had the following parts fitted: Ed Brown NM bushing, Novak front sight, 10-8 NM rear sight, 10-8 slide stop, Ed Brown Thumb and Grip safety, 10-8 flat trigger, 10-8 mag release, Harrison Ignition, Checkered front and MSH, Lowered and Flared ejection port, high cut front strap. The finish is a ceramic Gunkote.

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0070.jpg

The second is a long story, and a not so happy one. I ordered the Nighthawk 31 weeks ago. This is my second one, the first is an AAC in 45acp. When I ordered the AAC 2 years ago, I was told it only came one way, no options. So when I wanted another one I called AAC and discussed getting another AAC model but in a commander size. The guy at AAC was pretty rude, and said they have no specific contract with Nighthawk about how the gun is built. So...I called Nighthawk and ordered exactly what I wanted, an AAC Commander. Nighthawk said it was no problem and the wait began. A month into the waiting, I get a call from NHC and was told they cant make an AAC Commander due to the specifics of the AAC/NHC relationship. Which I was told didn't exist. They told me they could make the exact gun I wanted, but with out the AAC logo on back and the lightning cuts on upper slide. I was hesitant, but agreed. Greg asked if I wanted a different top cut or serration, but I told him a rounded top. I also wanted one of their holsters to match the gun, since it has the threaded barrel and tall sights.
    Fast forward to today, I pick up the gun and I was really disappointed. First no holster, but I wasnt charged for it, strike one. I open the target to find out the gun is labeled as a Talon II, then I look the gun over and find out the Rear Cocking Serrations are squared not rounded and the top is Serrated, not round. Which is the way a Talon comes stock, I guess. I know it is just cosmetic, but I don't like the way the receiver has everything rounded, while the slide is all squared and blocky. To me it doesnt look right.

IMG_0078.jpg

I am not sure what to do about the Nighthawk. The pistol is beautiful and is built nice, but its not what I wanted and am kinda upset/pissed off. I think I am going to a LGS to see if I can trade it for an Enforcer or a Vickers. The shop has had them for a while, so maybe they will be willing to trade. If not I may put it up for sale. Sorry for the crappy pics, I can post some specific pics if someone wants more.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    congrats and at the same time sorry to hear this. I hope you can get things settled and get what you want.

3. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    Please share with us you ordered it from so we can stay away from them. Sorry about your luck.
    Bill

4. ShootSuppressed

Oct 24, 2011
    I ordered it directly from Nighthawk since I was using the Mil/LE discount.

5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Well, the Colt looks nice! They really brought up that front strap.

As far as the Nighthawk goes, that has to be frustrating. Sometimes I'm sure it feels like ordering at a fast food drive-through window and getting home to realize the order was wrong. Except with a wait of 31 weeks and a few thousand bucks.

Someone just needs to tie a card with the build instructions to the trigger guard so it's always there through the process! I am continually perplexed by how relatively common these simple errors are with shops of this type.

I hope you get it resolved.

Andy

6. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    1 - The colt looks awesome.

2 - Don't let the NH ruin the colt. I hope you get it fixed, I would be bent if I dropped that kind of money on a semi custom for it to show up done half correctly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. ShootinSteel

ShootinSteel Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 7, 2012
    They are both beautiful guns. Sorry you didn't get what you asked for with the NHC. SS

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Get your money back on the Nighthwak. It is not what you ordered.

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    This, or have them build you a complete new gun and add some options for free. Total BS on NH's part. Period.

10. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. This is also why I always pay for this stuff using a credit card, because I can dispute a transaction if they will not work with me.

11. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    ^^^This plus interest.
    What a crappy way to run a business.

12. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Unacceptable. Return that. Get money. Nighthawk keeps doing this, only one way they'll learn is to stop taking people's money.

13. ShootSuppressed

Oct 24, 2011
    I tried calling Nighthawk once on Friday and twice today, with no response. Finally after an email asking for a return call I got one, but couldn't answer it since I was in a meeting at work. He said he would try to get back with me tomorrow.
    Hopefully I have a couple options, but I am definitely not waiting 30+ weeks for another pistol. The Colt took one week to get in the parts and three weeks for the build, and I couldn't be any happier with it.
    This was going to be my last Nighthawk anyway, especially now with the way the Colt turned out with only a 4 week turn around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  14. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    If that's their response, I'd tell them to stick it up their ass and refund my ENTIRE money. Totally unacceptable IMO.

15. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats on the Colt! Sucks that NH Fusionized you, hopefully you can get it straightened out somehow.

16. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Lol. Wow. It took 15 posts for someone to make the comparison.

17. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    Is that typical for Fusion also?

18. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Colt looks great...sans trigger

NH: Hope you have your exact order specs in writing. Either way I wouldn't accept the pistol. I'd want a full refund immediately and there's no way I'd give them a second chance. Crazy

19. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Depends on who you ask.

20. ShootSuppressed

Oct 24, 2011
    I do have the original invoice showing it to be an AAC Commander, but not the updated one stating it to be built as a Talons II.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted