close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up another SP101....

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Nakanokalronin, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Picked up another SP101....with grip range report.

I used to have a 2-1/4" SP101 in .357 awhile ago, sold it for a stupid relationship I was in and regretted it ever since. This time I was going to make it just a tad different though by adding some Badger grips and a Gemini gold bead sight I bought off of a Ruger forum member.

I'll be shooting it this coming week but I'm not sure if its worth a range report since its not something new or uncommon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I'd be interested in a range report. Earlier this year I got my first "snubbie .38" - a Smith & Wesson 642 - and am beginning to appreciate the platform more.

Those grips are quite intriguing. How do they feel? I'm interested in your thoughts on them.

Andy

3. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Congrats, I love the SP101. I have a S&W Nightguard and always contemplate ditching it for an SP101...

4. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    The grips defiantly fill your hand more than the stock grips. The angle of the grip can be described best as thrusting a sword. From the reports I've read, the recoil is either the same,tamer or uncomfortable. The uncomfortable reports comes from people who's hand dimensions didn't work with the grips. I wear an XL glove and these fit perfectly in my hand so only thing left is to see how the recoil is. Full power .357 loads in my original SP101 was no problem at all.

This may end up replacing my 638 after some testing. It would be filled with .38(+P) loads for ankle carry or in my 5.11 shirt when on a bicycle and filled with .357 loads when hiking / camping as a companion to my Redhawk in 45LC.

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Very nice! The SP101 was my first revolver. Great guns

6. Gunshine

Gunshine New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I really like those grips.

7. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    The Badger grips seems to have more reports of less felt recoil over the stock rubber grips which I'm curious to find out if that is indeed true. Not sure if its the finger grooves or the altered angle but it feels better even aiming one handed.

8. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    Went to the range and shot 50rds of .38spl, 50rds of .38spl +P and 50rds of some full power .357 ammo.

Recoil is not bad at all with .38spl or .38spl +P. With .357 loads it was a little bit of a handful but its really not any worse than with the stock grips. I was shooting Remington .357 semi-jacketed hollow point rounds which always has people and range guys asking wth I'm shooting. Its some pretty potent stuff and the first 3 cylinders full was just fine which is more than one would probably use in a defensive situation.

I do have to say that shooting the .357 rounds in double action only was easier than it was with the stock grips. All in all I'm very satisfied with the grips and the SP101.

9. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for the range report. I have been thinking long and hard about getting one of these as my first wheel gun.

10. mdThanatos

mdThanatos Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Manny, I don't think you can go wrong with the SP101 or even the GP100. I like Ruger revolvers quite a bit, have had 6 total.

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Had some guy wanted to trade me one of the SP101 for a Glock. Didn't do it thought. Would like to get one, one day.

12. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the range review. :thumb:

I was pleased to read the part about shooting in double-action. I think there's a good argument that too many people with snubbie revolvers only practice under "ideal" conditions and not how they'd actually be used.

Andy

13. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    I agree. When I go to my local range and someone has a revolver, they usually sit there cocking the hammer and shoot single action the entire time. I cock the hammer for the first cylinder or two or if I'm trying for accuracy at longer distances, otherwise its double action only.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted