1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Dan Wesson revolver fan for several years and currently own 5, but no 1911's until today. I picked up a used Vigil 5" in 9mm with the threaded barrel. I was up to 5 1911's, but sold three over the last couple of years and was down to my Ed Brown Special Forces 5" & my Remington R1 Carry Commander, both in .45 ACP. I've been wanting to try a Dan Wesson and a 1911 in 9mm, so I killed two birds with one stone with this Vigil. I really like the way the slightly rounded grip feels in the hand & may like it as much as my bobtail grip on my Ed Brown, but I won't know for certain until I get it out and shoot it. The round count is about 2,500 but she seems as tight as a new gun. I hope to get her out to the range this weekend. It's a fairly inexpensive way to try out both the DW & 9mm and I like the idea of the aluminum frame in a 9mm.

I'd be interested in opinions on recoil springs: when to replace and ideal weight/lbs.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,167 Posts
I assume that sights are that tall to see over a surpressor?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
9 to 11 lbs recoil spring
9lbs main spring
Congratulations on the new to you DW.

Reactions: jertex

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just received a response from CZ/Dan Wesson on the recoil spring - they recommend a 10lb spring and replacing it between 3,000 & 3,500 rounds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I switched my Valkyrie/CCO-9mm to flat wire 15K interval.
WC GI guide rod + NHC 13” flat wire, good to go on +P and +P+.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice find! Are you planning on threading something onto the end of that barrel?

Reactions: jertex

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Congrats!! I recently picked up a Vigil 9mm Commander, had a brief hiccup with the mag release, got it squared away & love it!

Sorry can’t help with springs, shoot the hell out of it!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very nice! I notice members mention round count a lot. Should I be keeping a log of how much ammo I shoot? Is this only if I have plans on selling in the future? No 1911 owned yet but will record round count when I get one. I could only guestimate round count right now with my other weapons.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Good purchase! I have a 9mm Vigil CCO. I still like my Guardians more, but still a nice gun. I use 12lb. Wolff's for the commander slides and change them every 3000 or so rounds. My guess is they would likely go a lot further, but I feel safer changing out the firing pin spring and Wolff comes with the FP spring. I dry fire a lot so it's cheap insurance. I also log my round counts for all my 1911's which I don't do for my Glocks. The log will help keep track of spring replacement and you can log FTF's or whatever as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts