Picking up my first 1911

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by 1911newb, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Hey folks,

So I live in California, and I purchased my very first 1911. It's a Springfield 1911 Loaded Parkerized in 45 ACP. All I wanted to know was, is there anything I need to be weary of for this model? When I was checking it out before purchase, everything seemed pretty good to me, and it's kind of foolish, but I also got swept up by the fact that it was the last one being sold in my county (after visiting a few other gun shops) and purchased it right then and there. Anybody have tips in terms of maintenance? Or things I should do with the gun before taking it to the range? Anything I should replace right off the bat to avoid any headaches? This gun was fairly expensive (to me), so I'm just a little weary as to anything I should do in terms of handling, maintenance, and upgrades; tips and trick and the like. I've seen some things in regards to idiot mark. Anybody have a good video on doing the mod? Or maybe I should be putting in the Nighthawk Slide Stop?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Rizzo, SW1911302, isialk and 11 others like this.
  2. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    If you feed it after midnight it will turn into a gremlin.

3. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    I'll make note of that lol

Buck Buck and isialk like this.
  4. Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Congrats. My advice is hold on to it, good chance you will have more and if you hang out here a collection. I wish I still had my first 1911.

Golfnut27, HooDoo Man, isialk and 2 others like this.
  5. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Thanks! Will do! This is by far the prettiest gun I've ever owned. I have definitely seen the nicer ones from Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Guncrafter, and such and I definitely see a lot of convincing having to be done to the wife for those too. I sure as heck know it took a lot of convincing for her to go a long with this one haha.

isialk and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  6. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    1911s are very very bad, you can never just have one. You will always try and find a better pistol to carry and you will always come back to a 1911, no matter how much your friends tell you that you need more capacity or lighter weight, you will go to the range, they will shoot your 1911 and then either buy one or just drool over yours, welcome.

Rick McC., Manny, SW1911302 and 6 others like this.
  7. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    The funny thing is, I was that guy. I preached about mag capacity, shot placement, the "advantages" of the light weight of my Glocks over steel framed guns and the like......that is until I shot my grandpa's Springfield 1911. My world kinda got flipped upside down after that haha.

8. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    1911newb don't worry it happens all the time. When I go out with friends to the range I pull out my 1911, everyone always says why do you carry something that only holds 8 rds in the mag, fires such a big bullet and is so heavy?

I put a few mags down range and just say cause I hit what I aim at, you want to try.

Then all they talk about is how smooth a 1911 shoots, how good the trigger is, etc...

Always fun and never gets old. Welcome to a good forum, good folks and good info.

9. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Thanks! I could already see their faces resembling mine haha. I'm looking forward to gaining as much info as I can, and even more so to actually picking up the gun after the 10 day waiting period!

isialk and boatdoc like this.
  10. ReaperCustom45

ReaperCustom45 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    You picked a good first 1911, being in CA we don't have as many options, but that one should serve you well. Most important things to know when it comes to 1911s:
    1. It's not a Glock, keep it clean and lubed for best performance
    2. Use quality magazines such as Wilson Combat, CM, ect
    3. Be prepared to have a different set of grips for everyday of the week. It's a simple way to completely change the look and feel of the gun, and it gets addicting!

11. 1911newb

1911newb Active Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Alright, will do! Already guilty of number 3. Bought some grips from Devil Dog Arms and I don't even have the gun in my hand yet!

Phil Sprague, Josey and isialk like this.
  12. Guns& knives 123

Guns& knives 123 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Congrats on the first, you just took the red pill and you're about to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes, better buckle up and enjoy the ride...

13. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to the world of 1911s, this purchase will definitely not be your last... These guns have a funny way of multiplying.

Nothing shoots quite like a 1911, but they definitely need more love than modern polymer firearms. Definitely pick up some Wilson Combat magazines, they are a MUST for the ultimate in reliability. The magazine is the most likely failure point for most firearms, and it's especially true in the 1911.

Keep her clean, and keep her lubed. That all-metal finish can NOT take the same abuse that a plastic-fantastic can. Opinions vary greatly on lubes, but IMO use the "good stuff" since this is much more of a precision tool than a Glock or M&P.

If you carry, and care about your gun's finish, stay away from Kydex and get yourself a nice leather holster. I'm a fan of Garret Industry holsters (leather lined Kydex) since I already spent years using Kydex prior to (re)discovering 1911s. There's plenty of references in the forum for quality holster makers.

You're already aware of what the idiot marks are. As long as you're careful and lining things up correctly, they should not be a problem. Ofcourse, this depends on your personal klutz factor.

I have not used Devil Dog grips, but I do want to share that my first purchase after a new 1911 is a set of slim VZ grips. They are game changers and definitely made the magic happen for my medium sized hands.

Hope you thoroughly enjoy your new 1911!

14. ReaperCustom45

ReaperCustom45 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    It's only going to get worse, there's a near infinite amount of grips out there. If I had the extra money, I'd probably have 50+ pairs by now. Lot's of people like VZ grips, I'm partial to the Pachmayr signature series grips for comfort.

cgff, Rizzo, 1911newb and 2 others like this.
  15. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Lube it ,shoot it ,and enjoy it . You have been bitten by the 1911 bug can't turn back now.

Golfnut27, 1911newb and boatdoc like this.
  16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    To break the pistol in , lube the pistol well and run it wet for about 500 rds , don’t clean it during this process keep it oiled, the “slurry” created will help parts mate ,smoothing the action and improving
    Reliability.
    After this process detail strip the pistol ,clean throughly and inspect parts .
    The detail strip will help you learn the platform and how the parts
    Function and operate together .
    At this point you will learn what needs to be addressed ie:
    Trigger pull , extractor tension ect. use quality ammo and magazines.
    Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the slippery slope.

Spokes, Rizzo, 1911newb and 6 others like this.
  17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    @welcome.gif from the Free State of Georgia . . .

PCZoid-grips-final - 06.JPG

PCZoid-grips-final - 08.JPG

FWoo45, Mattthefatt, 1911newb and 8 others like this.
  18. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy

Mar 27, 2013
    excellent choice. some people hate on the non-"top of the line" 1911s.

springers have a reputation of running like tack driving, sewing machines.

a reputation that is well deserved.

they are sort of like the timex of the 1911 world. they just work (well, with a modicum of care)

my last springer never got cleaned, I dabbed some 5w30 on the rails from time to time, and, tried to shoot the life out of it...it just snickered at me, and, called me a rookie.

Rizzo, 1911newb, isialk and 1 other person like this.
  19. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy

Mar 27, 2013
    the first thing you need to change is it's round count. it'll let You know if it needs attention anywhere.

20. Old Sarge

Old Sarge Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2020
    My Springfield works fine, just clean and oil..welcome to the site

20200216_145950.jpg

Golfnut27, Rizzo, Mattthefatt and 8 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted