PII range report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by RGK, Jan 7, 2012.

1. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Just returned from one of Louis Awerbuck's Yavapai Firearms Academy defensive handgun courses.

Also the first shoot with my Les Baer PII since I got it last Fall!

The gun was flawless with American Eagle FMJ and a joy to use. No regrets on going with a Baer! The Tripp Cobra mags were awesome, but in my PII the Wilson ETM with optional low profile steel baseplates did not properly seat and I couldn't use them. I could have sworn that I function checked them when I got them. Fortunately I had backup mags. I need to slightly modify the Wilson baseplates so the mags insert a bit deeper. The Silent Thunder OWB holster also worked well, but the sharp PII front serrations chewed up the leather a bit.

Obligatory pic below (Wilson mag on the left, Tripp on the right).

rgk

[​IMG]

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks pretty good! Les says the Premier II is their flagship gun, and I can appreciate why. What sort of distances did you go with it on your first outing? :smilie:

Andy

3. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    As this was a tactical type course, distances were under 12yrds, and some drills were far under 12yrds!

rgk

4. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. And don't worry about the serrations tearing the leather in the holster. That will only happen for a little while and then the gun will actually start burnishing the leather. The gun and holster will essentually get used to each other.

5. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    It's really tough to beat that pistol for the money. Nice to see it wet and dirty. I have the first OWB silent thunder ever made and although I don't use it anymore, my Baer serations chewed it like cud for quite a while.

6. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I loves the BAERS! :thumb:

Looks like your breaking it in right.Lots o' lube and good mags along with Les' favorite brand of ammo!

DAT85

7. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Nice. Thanks for sharing. Great pic too. Baers are excellent guns. I am yet to try a Silent Thunder holster. They seem to be designed for a quick draw and reliability.

8. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Ignorance here. Does LB not dehorn their slides?

9. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    On the basic PII, no. On their other models with more of a tactical or carry focus, my understanding is it's pretty minimal.

rgk

10. Rod38um

Rod38um Opinionated Shooter

Oct 5, 2011
    Congrats, you cant go wrong with Baer!

11. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Took off 0.01" from the top of the Wilson ETM mag baseplate (lo-profile steel) to prevent contact with the front strap and allow the Wilsons to seat/lock.

Returned to the range today and put 300rds through the PII in 55min. Love the guilt-free break-in shooting! The Wilson mags now work great.

rgk

12. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Did the sharp serrations on the front of the grip bother your hand during extended shooting?

13. SatCong

SatCong Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    But you can order it.I got it on my Concept VI.:thumb:

14. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Front strap checkering? Not a bit.

rgk

[​IMG]

15. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    Nice looking Baer, how many rounds did you fire during the course.

16. RGK

RGK New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Probably <200. Class size was 12 and we ran 6-man relays. Lots of discussion between drills. Having only two functional mags (Tripps) definitely kept my shot count down a bit. Great course/instructor!

rgk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted