1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather is 70 and overcast here in north Mississippi so thought I’d make up for a week of pin withdrawal.
Used my old practice range today as my main range has standing water on it.
Only one pin table on this range so I did a lot of back and forth setting pins.
Shot 400 rounds and only had 2 spinners.
The game we play down here and in North Carolina is 5 pins from a 42” high table. Table dimensions are 5’ by 8’ and pins are 4’ from back edge. All shooting is from 25’.
You are only allowed 6 rounds no matter what type gun. Revolvers can run equal with autos.
You must go fast BUT you had best not go so fast that you miss.
For the shoots you start with the gun on a 36” high rail in front of the shooter. At the start signal raise gun and commence. Your time is from the start signal until your last shot.
Your score is the aggregate time of four runs.
Any pin left standing adds 2 seconds. Any pin left down on the table adds 1 second.
Don’t go so fast that you miss!
Sub 3 second runs are about par for the good shooters who practice a lot. Occasionally, a shooter will get a sub 2 second run but if you try to string four of those together a miss is sure to happen. The great equalizer that quickly levels the field.
Most serious competitors use 200 or 215 grain H and G type flat base semi wad cutters over a healthy dose of Blue Dot. A few use powders with burn rates between Unique and Blue Dot but you need a velocity between 950 and 1050 FPS with acceptable pressures.
Thought I’d give a little over view of a game we play here.
You are welcome to try your luck with us anytime.
Branch Table Outdoor furniture Twig Outdoor table
Still life photography Revolver Bowling pin Gun accessory
Grass Branch Tree Land lot Soil

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Weather is 70 and overcast here in north Mississippi so thought I’d make up for a week of pin withdrawal.
Used my old practice range today as my main range has standing water on it.
Only one pin table on this range so I did a lot of back and forth setting pins.
Shot 400 rounds and only had 2 spinners.
The game we play down here and in North Carolina is 5 pins from a 42” high table. Table dimensions are 5’ by 8’ and pins are 4’ from back edge. All shooting is from 25’.
You are only allowed 6 rounds no matter what type gun. Revolvers can run equal with autos.
You must go fast BUT you had best not go so fast that you miss.
For the shoots you start with the gun on a 36” high rail in front of the shooter. At the start signal raise gun and commence. Your time is from the start signal until your last shot.
Your score is the aggregate time of four runs.
Any pin left standing adds 2 seconds. Any pin left down on the table adds 1 second.
Don’t go so fast that you miss!
Sub 3 second runs are about par for the good shooters who practice a lot. Occasionally, a shooter will get a sub 2 second run but if you try to string four of those together a miss is sure to happen. The great equalizer that quickly levels the field.
Most serious competitors use 200 or 215 grain H and G type flat base semi wad cutters over a healthy dose of Blue Dot. A few use powders with burn rates between Unique and Blue Dot but you need a velocity between 950 and 1050 FPS with acceptable pressures.
Thought I’d give a little over view of a game we play here.
You are welcome to try your luck with us anytime.
View attachment 380369 View attachment 380371 View attachment 380373
Hey Rmac,

You wouldn't have a video you could post up, would you?

I've never been to or seen a pin shoot before.

Z

Reactions: isialk and rmac

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have bowling pins at the shoot location. Set this up at the next one. Would be fun!!!
Ed, I have a folding steel table I’ll bring to the next shoot. We’ll have to work out the ammo to use to prevent bounce backs.
It would be fun at the June Addicts Shoot.
It has not been mentioned because of working out the ammo bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.