1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a chart attached which points out how just trying to find the lightest 'piece' can be counter productive - take a look at the holster weights and the total weights. Throw out the two J-frames which hold their 1/2 ranking throughout, and you can make an argument for the lightest holster you can own that does the job. After weighing a lot in the house, the lightest is Kydex, bar none excluding some belt slides - noteably the Galco JAK slide which a co-worker introduced me to years ago. I was just curious how a supposedly light weight piece could get so portly till I did some weighing this week. Like the difference in a Sparks Criterion and Summer Special is ---- almost four ounces. Steel frame 1911s are somewhat short of light even with short butts, bobbed butts. Even the allow frame mentioned below, a Brown Kobra Carry LW, is something short of light! I was bored and weighed some of my favorite carry packages.

If you have a question, ask. If I've got it, I'll weigh it for you.

Attachments

·
Get off my lawn...
17,439 Posts
Very nice research! I always factor in the ammo weight, but never gave any thought to the holster weight. Your Criterion (Commander size) is 7 oz. my Criterion (Government size) must be approximately 9 oz. It adds up fast...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.