1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work on a farm here in Colorado and it's very dusty. The fine dirt gets in everything. It will get in the lining of your shoes and you can't get it out. Question: what do you think would be the best sidearm for a very hot fine sand/ dusty environment?

·
Registered
219 Posts
In Desert Storm, the Beretta were carried in plastic bags in the holster because the dust fine sand got into EVERYTHING! The Beretta 92s were having enough problems with junk magazines, with the dust they were no goes! Of course some lucky souls got 1911s and guess what? They worked fine! DRY lube, knock the dust out of them when you went in a tent and good to go.

A revolver might work fine, but make sure it is easy to take apart/repair. I've had new Ruger DA revolvers jam up on me the second cylinder full due to dust/grit under the ejector star and had to pound the cylinder open. Fine dust will get into everything and lock a DA revolver up, although I have not had that problem with any (mostly Ruger) SA revolvers.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,612 Posts
I have a small farm in Maine, probably not as dusty as where you're at but I usually carry either the 1911 I have the least amount of money in or my .45acp Ruger Vaquero. Lately the Vaquero has been getting the nod since I finally got a good holster for it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking my Ruger Wiley Clapp Gp100 or one of my HKs but then started to wonder if a striker fired or Hammer fired would be best in a super dusty environment.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Have a m58 pawnshop beater I rescued thats about ideal at the ranch.
Had it Melonite’d after repairs/tweaking and I regulated sight for 210 gr XTP handloads.

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
23,367 Posts
I work on a farm here in Colorado and it's very dusty. The fine dirt gets in everything. It will get in the lining of your shoes and you can't get it out. Question: what do you think would be the best sidearm for a very hot fine sand/ dusty environment?
That's a tough problem to have. That's like asking what's the best gun to carry at the beach. I've got no idea I was going to tag WC from the title. Then I read the post about the dust and I see WC posted.
I wish I had a good answer for you but I'm not sure there is a perfect solution. Best you can do is probably a pocket holster or at least some type of IWB and a tucked shirt.
Good luck.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I live in Weld County on the Wyoming border, so while not as bad as say Pueblo to the south or the Great Basin desert communities up north-west, we certainly get our fair share of wind-blown grit. Concealed, it doesn't matter much, and I routinely carry a 1911 for social functions. But for outdoor life, this is where my Glock 20 shines. Runs good even if it gets muddy or gritty, doesn't require much in the way of maintenance, and I don't give a rat's ass if it gets scratched up while carrying about my business. It is a tool that I don't have to think about until I need it, so it doesn't hinder me the way a gun I cared about might.

I am a 1911 guy, not a Glock guy, but sometimes it's the right tool in the toolbox.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. JohnnyEgo I'm in Boulder county and the Farm is in Weld County. I don't have a Glock and I'm thinking a striker fire might be best for the farm and well I'm always trying to rationalize another gun purchase.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
Assuming your asking on this web site for a 1911 recommended gat I’ll bite and say Colt Government Model or Commander in basic steel or a Springfield Armory 1911AI or RIA model. These in basic standard configuration and not tight frame to slide fit will suffice very well if cared for cleaned and lubed regularly. A closed top military holster will help keep a majority of the dirt out and if wrapped in Saran Wrap or thin baggie that will keep almost all dirt and debris out.
The Springfield I say is middle of the road as far as cost goes and I would guess at $500 to $700 and the Colt probably a bit higher than that depending on age and condition. The RIA would most likely be less than that. I would stay clear of alloy/aluminum frames if dealing with a lot of grit dust and dirt. Stainless will tend to gall if subjected to dry dirt but will not wear the finish and rust as will the steel if not cared for.

·
just one more
656 Posts
I'd say glock. It's sorta that ak47 of pistols, not very refined but very reliable and less than fine tolerances permit a lot of sand/dust etc to build up while still functioning. Still everything has a breaking point.

Whatever you choose holster will have a lot to do with the overall condition and then lube selection. I'd be thinking more coverage on the holster with dry lube, and maybe an increased cleaning schedule.

I'll be curious to hear what you select and how it goes.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts