1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I want to start this off by saying I really like Brownells, their 100% satisfaction guarantee is totally legit, and they've always done right by me with no exceptions.

However, I am getting a little frustrated with their Reamers. I have yet to buy one out of the dozen or so I have that the handle hasn't broken loose from the reamer.

So can someone tell me where to get some good quality hand Reamers for our beloved 1911 please?

They do not hesitate to send me a new one but, just gets a little frustrating replacing em all the time. They spin free but don't seem to want to pull out so I can reinforce them.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Ok so I want to start this off by saying I really like Brownells, their 100% satisfaction guarantee is totally legit, and they've always done right by me with no exceptions.However, I am getting a little frustrated with their Reamers. I have yet to buy one out of the dozen or so I have that the handle hasn't broken loose from the reamer.
So can someone tell me where to get some good quality hand Reamers for our beloved 1911 please?
They do not hesitate to send me a new one but, just gets a little frustrating replacing em all the time. They spin free but don't seem to want to pull out so I can reinforce them.

I guess I don't know your issues from lack of smithing experience...however, 20 + yrs of using hand reamers in my job. Our hand reamers had square ends like a thrd tap and we used tap handles. What am I missing? I searched Brownells for hand reamers and only found those with squared ends as well.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I don't know your issues from lack of smithing experience...however, 20 + yrs of using hand reamers in my job. Our hand reamers had square ends like a thrd tap and we used tap handles. What am I missing? I searched Brownells for hand reamers and only found those with squared ends as well.
They have reamers with screw driver handles on them.. Which tbh is Cats meow if they didn't break free of the handle.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../reamers/1911-pin-hole-reamers-prod32364.aspx

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Often a retailer offers a good warranty to entice the customer to buy subpar tooling.[/QUOTE

I agree some do that And these are their brand, I rarely purchase much in their brand, but most other stuff I have gotten there hasn't been bad quality. They sell a good deal of name brand as well with the same warranties

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
I sometimes would put hex nuts on the reamers to use with sockets.

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sometimes would put hex nuts on the reamers to use with sockets.
I got to watch with the small holes can be easy to egg waddle out the hole a little if you get to much movement. The handled ones would actually be pretty sweet if they didn't come free. Just can't seem to put much on em. They really need to do a better job with how they attach the handles.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
+1 on the chucking reamers. The amount of stock you leave in the hole is also important and will have an effect on tool life. I’ve always used 2% of the diameter. .250 reamer = .005 stock.

FYI - A good knurled keyless drill chuck makes a fantastic reamer handle.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Slapshot has been my source for reamers.

I have a selection of his chucking reamers for the needed 1911 sizes for barrel links pins, slide stops and frame holes. They have worked very well.
I was meaning to ask him, thanks.. I've gotten some gauge pins and some ball mills that were excellent tooling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.