Pistols with arm braces.......beware.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pistolwretch, Oct 28, 2018.

1. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Great article, thanks for the link. The ATF is nefarious.

2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    That's downright scary.

3. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    At my LGS Saturday , an older gentleman came in wanting what he kept calling a stock extension or possibly ordering a full size stock for his Henry Mare's Leg . Naturally the store owner told him why he is forbidden by law to do this . He would have none of it . Got argumentative , said he can do whatever he wants to his " rifle " and left .

41 Charlie likes this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    That's why I've stayed away from pistol braces. I'll gladly support those who choose to use them. But I just don't want to wake one morning only to find out that I'm now a felon because the ATF had a sudden change of heart. In this case it's worse, because the ATF is apparently not notifying the public of their revised thinking.

There is a part of me that wonders if this is really just the ATF making a power move. This is just the ATF flexing its muscles and saying, "I'm the one in charge here."

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Wow that happened up near me. They really ruined that guys year for no apparent reason at all.

6. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    The problem with the owner of the Mare’s Leg, he is considering it a Rifle, but he didn’t buy a Rifle, he bought what is classified as a handgun.

ronin11 and Harleyvato like this.
  7. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    That's exactly what he didn't understand and refused to comprehend . Hopefully the next store gave him the same explanation .

8. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I’ve never had interest in these pistols. They look very impractical, I’ve always looked at them like I look at pistol grip only shotguns, useless.

This is another situation that really gives good reason for wanting the repeal of this unconstitutional garbage. What isn’t clear is how atf came by this information about an individual. From a YouTube video??? That bothers me as much as anything. They should have to clearly demonstrate that they gained this knowledge in a fully legal and constitutional way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock2740, Harleyvato and limbkiller like this.
  9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Agree with the second half 100% although I have considered one before and would still like one in 300blk

UBOATDOC, 1911fanatic and Harleyvato like this.
  10. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    IMHO (and I’m no lawyer) anything posted on social media / sites like YouTube becomes public domain and can be used against you. Kind of like kids posting videos of them street racing, and complaining when the local LEO’s come knocking on their door.

The lesson is to be careful of what you post online.

11. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    From the provided link.

Not quite the same as the magpul AFG that has been ruled as not a grip via letter.

StarkEquipment-SE5-ExpressGrip-2.jpg

12. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m thinking the collapsible stock is a bigger issue on an AR pistol??? Either way it’s BS but....

UBOATDOC likes this.
  13. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
  14. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I agree. That’s why I mentioned it.

I can understand that. Them being useless was my opinion.

15. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Worst thing is, once accused, the burden of proving your innocence is on.........YOU!
    I don't imagine hiring a competent lawyer to represent you vs the BATFE is cheap.
    I take NO chances. I dot every 'I' and cross every 'T'.
    They look HARD at southwestern FFLs.

Fred_G, UBOATDOC, Mike Meints and 3 others like this.
  16. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    My goal is to keep ATF , lawyers , cops , and judges out of my life .( In their professional capacity ).

17. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    As much of a pain in the butt it was to get a trust set up, file the forms, pay the damn taxes & wait for ever. I'm glad I did for my CZ EVO Scorpion S3. In MI it is initially registered as a pistol, that is now SBR'd with a can. I keep copies of Form1 & 4 in the case at all times.

I have a couple of buddies with AR pistols with braces & I will send them that link.
    Thank you so much for posting it.

George

colrhino and Kip like this.
  18. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    The SBR law is nonsensical BS. I can understand the full auto regulations, that doesn’t mean I agree, but it makes some kind of sense.

19. Babboonbobo

Nov 18, 2014
    I’m bothered a little about these pistols and the ramifications of improper use.
    I am just finishing up an episode of Guns&Ammo TV (first aired Oct29,2018)and Tom Beckstrand and David Fortier are doing a segment called success of the sixes where they are comparing a 6.5Grendal pistol to a 6.5Creedmoor rifle. In the shooting sequences Dave Fortier is definitely 100% shouldering the Grendel with a pistol brace and using it as a cheek rest!!!
    Now I’ve heard about the ATF letter on shouldering with pistol braces but from the article about the gentleman’s issues with the ATF this seems like a bad idea?
    I’m 100% onboard with screw the ATF and quite f’ing with our rights but there needs to be a definitive ruling so we don’t end up in the same scenario! My two cents and an observation I just made tonight while watching.

PS:copy and pasted this exact same response from another 1911 site where I originally posted it but I know some people don’t visit there that often if at all and I thought this was worth noting.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted