1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,012 Posts
Great article, thanks for the link. The ATF is nefarious.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
At my LGS Saturday , an older gentleman came in wanting what he kept calling a stock extension or possibly ordering a full size stock for his Henry Mare's Leg . Naturally the store owner told him why he is forbidden by law to do this . He would have none of it . Got argumentative , said he can do whatever he wants to his " rifle " and left .

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
That's why I've stayed away from pistol braces. I'll gladly support those who choose to use them. But I just don't want to wake one morning only to find out that I'm now a felon because the ATF had a sudden change of heart. In this case it's worse, because the ATF is apparently not notifying the public of their revised thinking.

There is a part of me that wonders if this is really just the ATF making a power move. This is just the ATF flexing its muscles and saying, "I'm the one in charge here."

·
Registered
368 Posts
At my LGS Saturday , an older gentleman came in wanting what he kept calling a stock extension or possibly ordering a full size stock for his Henry Mare's Leg . Naturally the store owner told him why he is forbidden by law to do this . He would have none of it . Got argumentative , said he can do whatever he wants to his " rifle " and left .
The problem with the owner of the Mare’s Leg, he is considering it a Rifle, but he didn’t buy a Rifle, he bought what is classified as a handgun.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
The problem with the owner of the Mare’s Leg, he is considering it a Rifle, but he didn’t buy a Rifle, he bought what is classified as a handgun.
That's exactly what he didn't understand and refused to comprehend . Hopefully the next store gave him the same explanation .

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I’ve never had interest in these pistols. They look very impractical, I’ve always looked at them like I look at pistol grip only shotguns, useless.

This is another situation that really gives good reason for wanting the repeal of this unconstitutional garbage. What isn’t clear is how atf came by this information about an individual. From a YouTube video??? That bothers me as much as anything. They should have to clearly demonstrate that they gained this knowledge in a fully legal and constitutional way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I’ve never had interest in these pistols. They look very impractical, I’ve always looked at them like I look at pistol grip only shotguns, useless.

This is another situation that really gives good reason for wanting the repeal of this unconstitutional garbage. What isn’t clear is how atf came by this information about an individual. From a YouTube video??? That bothers me as much as anything. They should have to clearly demonstrate that they gained this knowledge in a fully legal and constitutional way.

Agree with the second half 100% although I have considered one before and would still like one in 300blk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What isn’t clear is how atf came by this information about an individual. From a YouTube video??? That bothers me as much as anything. They should have to clearly demonstrate that they gained this knowledge in a fully legal and constitutional way.

IMHO (and I’m no lawyer) anything posted on social media / sites like YouTube becomes public domain and can be used against you. Kind of like kids posting videos of them street racing, and complaining when the local LEO’s come knocking on their door.

The lesson is to be careful of what you post online.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
From the provided link.

The relevant issues at trial relate to the specifics of Wright’s firearm, an AR pistol platform that was modified with an angled foregrip and collapsible stock.

Mr. Wright had a vertical foregrip on his pistol.

Not quite the same as the magpul AFG that has been ruled as not a grip via letter.

StarkEquipment-SE5-ExpressGrip-2.jpg

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
IMHO (and I’m no lawyer) anything posted on social media / sites like YouTube becomes public domain and can be used against you. Kind of like kids posting videos of them street racing, and complaining when the local LEO’s come knocking on their door.

The lesson is to be careful of what you post online.

I agree. That’s why I mentioned it.

Agree with the second half 100% although I have considered one before and would still like one in 300blk
I can understand that. Them being useless was my opinion.

·
Dremel jockey
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Worst thing is, once accused, the burden of proving your innocence is on.........YOU!
I don't imagine hiring a competent lawyer to represent you vs the BATFE is cheap.
I take NO chances. I dot every 'I' and cross every 'T'.
They look HARD at southwestern FFLs.

·
In the staging lanes
2,230 Posts
As much of a pain in the butt it was to get a trust set up, file the forms, pay the damn taxes & wait for ever. I'm glad I did for my CZ EVO Scorpion S3. In MI it is initially registered as a pistol, that is now SBR'd with a can. I keep copies of Form1 & 4 in the case at all times.

I have a couple of buddies with AR pistols with braces & I will send them that link.
Thank you so much for posting it.

George

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The SBR law is nonsensical BS. I can understand the full auto regulations, that doesn’t mean I agree, but it makes some kind of sense.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I’m bothered a little about these pistols and the ramifications of improper use.
I am just finishing up an episode of Guns&Ammo TV (first aired Oct29,2018)and Tom Beckstrand and David Fortier are doing a segment called success of the sixes where they are comparing a 6.5Grendal pistol to a 6.5Creedmoor rifle. In the shooting sequences Dave Fortier is definitely 100% shouldering the Grendel with a pistol brace and using it as a cheek rest!!!
Now I’ve heard about the ATF letter on shouldering with pistol braces but from the article about the gentleman’s issues with the ATF this seems like a bad idea?
I’m 100% onboard with screw the ATF and quite f’ing with our rights but there needs to be a definitive ruling so we don’t end up in the same scenario! My two cents and an observation I just made tonight while watching.

PS:copy and pasted this exact same response from another 1911 site where I originally posted it but I know some people don’t visit there that often if at all and I thought this was worth noting.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts