close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pistolsmith wait times

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Kokopelli, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I needed to have a Hi-Vis FOFS put on my 5" springfield and the SA adjustable RS reinstalled. The sights we did originally were just not working out for me, so it was time to change. My new 9mm (P19134LP) needed the Hi-viz FOFS, EB perfection ignition parts added for a 3 1/2# trigger, 19# MS, Wolff sear spring, light weight FP spring and a general "race gun action tuning. I wanted a 20lpi frontstrap checkering and complete refinish as well. Jay couldn't do the finish work work now as he has three pistols in the queue ahead of me for the full monty. I asked him to put a place card in the queue for me and dropped the pistols and parts off Thursday afternoon. We discussed what I wanted done on both pistols and shot the breeze for an hour and a half I guess. He told me that he would try and get the functional aspects completed in a couple of weeks and the refinishing at some point in the future. I left his shop around 4:30PM Thursday, hoping to hear from him toward the end of September. I'm surely blessed and will hold Jay up during church services tomorrow morning.. That's 29 hours to rebuld the 9mm, my hands to his hands.. Fantastic..... That's about all can say.. Cheers.. Ron

Service or what???

This is the message I received from Jay last evening....

Ron,
    I just finished your guns! Call me when you want to come by. I am busy all day tomorrow though.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Would be nice to have a local guy I could trust!

3. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Actually,.......it's a dang good thing I do not have a good local Pistolsmith I know of.
    Wife would kill me,......

5. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    I have a very good one close to me . OttoComp here in St.Louis. I have used them many times. I had a barrel shortened on a Remmy 700P just last week. He cut it , recrowned and refinished it . It was only gone about a week .

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Closest good smith that I know of is Drake. It's only a ~$100 for shipping round-trip anyway, so who cares. :thumb:

7. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Last I heard, Drake wasn't taking on any new work. Maybe I'm wrong...

8. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    you are correct paul.

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Last I heard NO good smiths are taking work. Seems like the economy hasn't effected them too bad. Or, they just require so much time to build a proper running 1911, their backlogs get filled very quick.

10. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Seems like the only one I hear taking work is Dave Helton.

11. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
  12. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Who is that guy? He does good stuff but I can't find a website.

13. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  14. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    No that Jeremy guy

15. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=284633

And that was his first attempt...guy has a lot of talent, I'm sure he'll go far.

From Bob Rodgers:

"I have been fortunate in having a few guys come through my class that exhibit skills that far exceed their experience. Some might call them 'naturals.'

Dwayne is one, and, as you can clearly see from these pictures, Jeremy is another. Jeremy came to the class with a little bit of experience gleaned from working on his own stuff. All I had to do was point him in the right direction, refine his technique, and help him develop a more critical eye.

Write his name down in your pistolsmith book. Against all my efforts to encourage him to get a real job, he's planning on opening his own shop. Get on his list as soon as he opens. Heck, get on his list now in anticipation of his opening. It will fill fast."

16. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Pistolsmith's that are good and can get to your job before social security are hard to find.. Best to make fast friends if you find one.. Ron

17. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    He doesn't have a website to my knowledge. I asked Bob Rodgers about fixing one of my 1911's but he obviously was too busy to take the work, but he recommended Jeremy to me and provided his email info. I could give you his email through a PM or the easiest way would be to PM him through 1911forum. I believe he's helping with Bob's class that's coming up so he may not reply right away.

18. JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Wade, Im new to Missouri and looking for a good gunsmith...would you say Otto is with the 3 hr drive for me? whats is turnaround time?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted