close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please explain 38 super to me

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by cody mcniel, Jun 6, 2017.

1. cody mcniel

cody mcniel Member

Feb 7, 2017
    hey everyone. I will admit I am no where near as knowledgeable as many on here regarding the platform or handguns in general. Looking around I see several articles about the 38 super. It seems like it has a slight ballistic edge over the 9mm. I also see where it costs almost 3 times as much to shoot in factory loadings plus way less defensive load options. My question is what is keeping the 38 super relevant as a carry gun? I can understand if you are a high level competitor that reloads, but for all other purposes the 9mm seems like the better option. Now I shoot and reload tons for shotgun and have a love affair with the 28 ga, especially when it's a built to scale frame gun. In this respect I understand the "there's just something about it feeling" that can't be described, but must be experienced. So maybe I just "don't get it", but I want to get it!

Steven1973 and limbkiller like this.
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I'd compare it to the 40sw vs 10mm auto. Real 38 super loads are faster than most of you +p+ 9 offerings. In 1911 platform specifically it is typically a little easier to keep reliable since it is as long as 45acp. You don't have to have mags with spacers, super long ejectors etc.

You're right about factory ammo being more expensive, but it is a really fun round to reload.

3. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 9, 2016
    For me my curiosity with 38 super is because it's a classic chambering for the 1911. I'm kind of traditional in that I like blued guns with wood grips. I had never shot 38 super until this past Saturday. Now I'm "getting it" thanks to Limbkiller.

wcanterbury, Cyborg11, EXFI and 6 others like this.
  4. nix_gary

nix_gary New Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Subscribed as I am just starting to get into 38 super and 9x23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcanterbury, EXFI and Steven1973 like this.
  5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    .38super is Gods caliber. It was invented, in it's original form the .38 Auto, before the .45 Auto. It is faster and lighter recoiling than the .45 while attaining close to .357 mag ballistics in a gun with 10 rounds. Tis true that some factory ammo is a bit more expensive but if you know where to look you can find it reasonable...or you can just reload. It also functions very smoothly in a 1911 style pistol.

S391, colrhino, wcanterbury and 19 others like this.
  6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    If you like 9mm - buckle up for some real fun! It does help to roll your own though. Plus you have the option to load them up from mild to wild.

7. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I do love the versatility. I can load little 115gr poppers that are super fun to shoot and heavy 147gr loads that would put a hurting on any of the bigger beasties we have roaming around out here (trail cams record both mountain lions and black bears). I guess the same could be said for the 10mm. Since getting my PM38, the 38 super has become my favorite round to shoot and reload. I just wish I could afford to have Joe Chambers build me the gun of my dreams :)

Getting another 100 rounds loaded :D

006.JPG

8. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    I forgot to mention that out of all the BE guns I've built over the years, the .38super is consistently the most accurate round in the 1911 platform at 50 yards. It typically produces 10 shot groups at 50 yards in under 1" and always under 1.2" if the reloading is done right and the gun is set up correctly...not to mention if you reload there is a wide variety of ballistics available to you from 90g bullets at the speed of lightening to 147's for suppression. And somewhere in between is that magical load with 4.0g of Bullseye powder that is so insanely accurate...

IMGP3230.JPG

9. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    Gaaaah! you're killing me! Amazing gun, amazing shooting.

10. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Makes you really want to get on the list doesn't it...LOL!

Jimhoag, EXFI, salelcid and 9 others like this.
  11. Squidman24

Squidman24 NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

wcanterbury, Weiker and Kip like this.
  12. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    I'm thinking of robbing banks, possibly selling organs....

Hey, you mind if I share that pic on FB? giving you credit of course.

Kip and Joe C like this.
  13. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Share away! Feel free to tag me in it if you like.

salelcid and LPRoad like this.
  14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have had Supers almost since I have been shooting.
    Lots of fun, great cartridge. The one I have now needs work.
    My advice is, when you have several 1911's in 45 and 9mm and you have plenty of inexpensive practice ammo for them, then start thinking about a Super. Unless of course if you start off reloading right away..

wcanterbury, Cyborg11, EXFI and 2 others like this.
  15. Greg6640

Greg6640 John 14:6 Supporting Addict

Apr 20, 2015
    Screw you guys, now I am wanting a .38 super.
    :o.o::greedy::confused:

16. ImperialBlade

ImperialBlade Armed with my opinion and not afraid to use it. Supporting Addict

Aug 22, 2015
    Really....Do I have to see another super awesome insanely beautiful custom 1911. C'mon Joe, you're killin me. :)

wcanterbury, Cyborg11, LPRoad and 3 others like this.
  17. Pennywise827

Pennywise827 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 23, 2017
    Right?! I'm all like 'I wonder how much I get for donating plasma.....'

EXFI, Bro. Pappaw, Kip and 2 others like this.
  18. mikegalway

mikegalway DILLIGAF Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    It seems to be a great shooting caliber . I've never bought one because I don't need to load another caliber . Plus they really blend in with the 9mm laying on the ground at the range .

wcanterbury and LPRoad like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    Troof . . . . . ^^^^^^^

And here is why for me . . . . .

Twins Colt .38 Super-001.JPG

Twins Colt .38 Super-003.JPG
    Twins DW Guardian-005.JPG

Twins DW Guardian-002.JPG

Twins Kimber-001.JPG

Twins Kimber-004.JPG

wcanterbury, Cyborg11, Dwe and 8 others like this.
  20. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted