1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm looking to gain knowledge and experience here. I have a Springfield Armory MC operator in 45 that has a point of impact of 10" high at 25 yds. It is not the shooter for I test loads for different pistols at this distance regularly. The 1911 has less than 200 rounds through it. I assume it is barrel lockup but could be wrong. I could take the easy route and send it in but I'm feel like I would be missing a good opportunity. Could someone give me a checklist of measurements or in general of what to look for. I am a machinist by trade so I am accustomed to this type of work. Thanks

·
Turgid member
579 Posts
Look at some of the sight makers web sights for tutorials.
Novak Sights and Dawson for example.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I assume it is barrel lockup but could be wrong.
Mark welcome aboard. I'm not sure why you would assume barrel lockup over incorrect front sight height. IMHO if the gun will hold 1.5" at 25 yards the barrel lockup is most likely fine. I personally wouldn't make any changes until the gun had 1000 rounds thru it but the front sight would be my first choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark welcome aboard. I'm not sure why you would assume barrel lockup over incorrect front sight height. IMHO if the gun will hold 1.5" at 25 yards the barrel lockup is most likely fine. I personally wouldn't make any changes until the gun had 1000 rounds thru it but the front sight would be my first choice.
Well I have Springfields shipping label in hand but hesitated to send it in. My knowledge of the1911 is very limited and that is why i am here. Your advice is taken on breaking this in and going from there, and thanks for rhe welcome! And thanks to to everyone for their reply.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,171 Posts
One means of verification of sight to barrel consistency is to use an LED bullet to project the barrel aim and compare it to the POA differential. This should prove to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Assuming a 7 inch sight radius, 10" at 25 yds is .078" on the sight; more than a sixteenth of an inch, right at 5/64".

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
If it's grouping well , just high , more than likely it's sight combo . Maybe someone at the factory installed wrong combination . Measure them and see . As said above , you either need taller front or lower rear .

·
Registered
437 Posts
Send it back, make SA repair it. We get entirely too many defects from the mfgs. We need to break them of the habit. In the last 20 years I've bought defective guns form S&W, Beretta, Taurus, Kimber, Henry, Browning, Ruger and Citadel . I'm actually surprised if a new gun works as it should. Some I have repaired, some I sent back. New stuff should work!......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These sights are supplied to trijicon by S.A. and trijicon only does the insert. So if S.A. armory does have notoriously high rear sights that may be the problem. Anyone know what dovetail cut S.A. uses and what sights are compatible?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The sights are trijicon and it can hold a 1.5" group at 25 yards 10 inches high.
How many rounds to a group, and how repeatable?

Assuming the group you report is consistency achievable with your 1911, precision is quite good and you can reasonably assume decent barrel fitment; this is an accuracy issue relegated to the vertical plane, and yes, as has been said before, a proper front sight swap is likely the fix.

Good luck and post back results.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,773 Posts
My TRP was off in elevation and windage when I got it. I sent it back to SA but it wasn't improved when it came back. I sent the slide off to Novaks for their green FO front and adjustable rear. Cost was reasonable and turn around was quick. Now it shoots where I think it should.

·
Turgid member
579 Posts
When I bought a new SA 1911 a few years ago it's sights were set at 6 'o clock. While they had it in to change the sights they went through the gun and corrected an issue they found. In my case, and I suspect most cases, the sight change was successful.
I suggest you run several hundred more rounds through yours before sending it back. That way they can see the wear patterns and correct any potential issues when they go through it.

·
What me worry ?
11,747 Posts
Why don’t you do what we do to fix our shooting problems??????

TACS Terrible Tools Target Tamer. !!!!
9ED1A4A2-C1B1-41F8-9142-DECF77021060.jpeg

Impress your friends and family with improved shooting abilities.
( 50 rds at 25yd pictured )
EAECCAAE-D72B-4C51-BC9D-2CA2B23021EB.jpeg

Pre shot targets available. !

Send cash to TTT now .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts