police harassment

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by boatdoc, Feb 20, 2019.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Police Harassment

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran an e-mail forum with the local community (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian e-mail participants posed the following question:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.

Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.

At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty.

So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass.

This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.
    The tools available to us are as follow:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment.

"My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like.

It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light.

Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours to determine why they didn't want to talk to us.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc...They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them.

Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well.
    We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they
    pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites.

Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista.

Jimhoag, UBOATDOC, Busa Dave and 32 others like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The MOST misunderstood job in the galaxy.

UBOATDOC, KS95B40, boatdoc and 6 others like this.

3. ERT354

ERT354 1911 addict

Jun 29, 2013
  4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    On Thanksgiving Day, after running the plates, my daughter pulled a car over that had expired and unregistered plates. The driver did not have a license, no insurance. The driver volunteered that they had been in the United States for two weeks and did not have I.D.

The entire back of the Subaru Forester was full of prepared food, bowls and plates covered with tin foil.

My daughter called her sergeant and together they decided that when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock they didn't have no I.D. or green card so let the car go.

That is the spirit of Thanksgiving and good policing.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    UBOATDOC, xerts1191, KS95B40 and 9 others like this.
  5. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Hilarious and awesome.

KS95B40, Stogies and ImperialBlade like this.
  6. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    That’s great. I do the occasional ride along with a friend of mine and I have determined that there’s no way in hell I could do their job. I just don’t have the temperament or patience for it.

KS95B40, boatdoc and ImperialBlade like this.
  7. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    My LEO career lasted only 3.5 years. I was a back country ranger in Northern Nevada. Area I covered extended from kind of Winnemucca south to say Tonopah. Glorified game warden. Never did arrest a drunk Indian though plenty of times locked them in my horse trailer to sober up.
    One of the best things I ever did for the community was me and a Forest Ranger from the BLM/USFS grabbed a wife beater and staked him on the desert naked for 24 hours, guy almost died of fright. Happy to report we restored that family to wholesomeness from that experience. Guy became a kitty cat and any time he had venison he'd call me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    UBOATDOC, xerts1191, KS95B40 and 7 others like this.
  8. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Note to self:
    Always leave a turkey in foil in the car :D
    That's cool 'Mouche :)

xerts1191, KS95B40 and boatdoc like this.
  9. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
  10. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Sarcasm is an excellent indicator of intelligence.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UBOATDOC, xerts1191, KS95B40 and 2 others like this.
  11. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Most LEOs I know chose their professional because they want to help others. From your "rant' I get a sense you think of no one but yourself. And that's okay, it's America. If you do find yourself in a scrap remember to call 9-1-1 someone is going to try their earnest to get to you and assist in whatever way they can.

UBOATDOC, xerts1191, Kip and 4 others like this.
  12. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    I like to think so, I read through your entire post.

xerts1191, Kip, KS95B40 and 1 other person like this.
  13. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    cop who replied had a great point of view of it all

xerts1191 and KS95B40 like this.
  14. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    the good police who do a great job have both.

the ones with too much ego and lack of respect for their job and what they represent--NOT.just like in any field. w e have to take the good with the bad.

kudos to those who serve and protect us all. too bad the media pick up on the others mor e often than not

BTW--it was a joke guys--to thos e who are offended--sorry but it is a joke from a cop who had a great time answering a citizen with sarcasm

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    xerts1191, Kip, KS95B40 and 2 others like this.
  15. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Some cops are great, and some are disasters in positions of authority, they're just people doing a job no different than most fields. I judge them case by case with an understanding that most of the time their work involves dealing with shitheads, which would coarsen even the best of us.

xerts1191, Kip, KS95B40 and 3 others like this.
  16. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    I've been a cop for 24 years. I've heard and seen just about everything you can imagine. It's a thankless job, that is getting harder and harder to do.

I understand that just like all professions, there are bad representatives. It is what it is, you can't weed out all the bad apples.

As far as perks go, yes it is true. If a cop gets pulled over, 9 out of 10 times, they'll be cut a break. Is that wrong? If I owned a restaurant, and a buddy came in, I'd comp his dinner. Is that wrong? If I was a plumber, and a buddy had a clogged toilet, I'd fix it. Is that wrong? I've given away free stuff to members on here, just because they are fellow members. Stuff other citizens would need to pay for elsewhere. Is that wrong? I dont know. I guess it comes down to opinion.

But I can tell you this. If you come into contact with a cop. Be polite. I can guarantee you that your attitude definitely weighs into the decision of how that contact is handled.

Have a good day everybody.

xerts1191, Kip, KS95B40 and 4 others like this.
  17. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks for being a good guy with a gun. stay safe

18. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Cause one is the loneliest number. Plus your parents would be very disappointed with you.

Kip, xerts1191, KS95B40 and 2 others like this.
  19. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I was gonna add a joke.....
    My take,some bad cops. But,also under a microscope.
    Take the gang here..... please!! hah!
    If I'm goofing off at work,this place is a flurry of activity at 9:10,9:15 am....
    Assuming all the "data entry" folks are on the clock.
    Hear corporate stories about "lunch stealing" and whatnot.
    Others know but it's hushed up.
    Ain't any "groups" free from any sin,just not newsworthy.

20. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Manners maketh man. The way you conduct yourself if the first and most obvious sign of your character. If you conduct yourself in an indignant manner, you shouldn't be surprised when things don't go well for you. God forbid you have to take responsibility for your actions when you can just blame others.

Kip likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted