Poll - Vanity or Practicality when funds are tight

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Pablomigraine, Apr 22, 2018.

What lineup when it's time to trade extra pistols for Diamonds?

1. Practical - P320s for EDC and P220 SAO for Nightstand / Home Defense

7.4%
  2. Expensive - P320s for EDC and 1911 Commanders for the win

22.2%
  3. Keep everything, and postpone the decision until I REALLY need the cash lol

70.4%
  1. Pablomigraine

Pablomigraine Whatchoo gots?

Feb 17, 2018
    I'm struggling with this decision fellow addicts. I need some enabling. I mean convincing. I mean advice..... I think.

First, some qualifications: I have some nice MSR's but that's only because I'm half-a-crazy-prepper. I primarily shoot pistol, and conceal carry daily. I've had about 200 hours of professional training in various disciplines, and I'm at the range practically every weekend for the last 12 years. My EDC for the past few years has been some P320 variation in 9mm... or more recently a 45ACP 1911 Commander from Dan Wesson, SA or other semi-custom. Years past I carried and shot P226 and P229 DA/SA exclusively, but sold them all off when the P320's came out. I am not a collector, I cannot afford nor justify "Safe Queens" and every gun I own has a role, a purpose and gets carried and shot heavily.

Here's the issue. I LOVE shooting 1911. I love them. I get stupid with the tweaking and customizing of them and it's a damn money pit that never leaves me feeling satisfied, just gives me more ideas and new things I want to customize or add-on to. They're big, they're heavy, they don't carry easily on my skinny 31" waist, and now that I've just picked up a pair of brand new P220 Legion SAO's... I cannot justify having BOTH them AND two somewhat expensive 1911s. I only need 2 fullsize .45acp pistols, and my OCD (and training regimen) dictates they be the same operating platform.

I need to sell one or the other; the 1911s or the P220 Legions SAO's.

I know keeping the Legions is the practical option, as they'll serve just as well and I'll pocket a LOT more cash selling the 1911s. The Legions are less expensive, they conceal-carry the same as the Commander 1911s in terms of size and are MUCH lighter.... they're 100% reliable and hell-and-back tough. They wear the same flat trigger and Xray sights as my several iterations of P320. I'm not a good enough shooter to leverage whatever increased accuracy beyond 50yds the 1911s might have over the Legions. I shoot them both equally well after a few practice rounds. But there's just something about the 1911s I love.

In short - Have you every struggled between a 1911 or P-Series SiG as your Primary in a given role? What did you decide and how did it work out?

"Keep all of them" / "Keep one of each" / "Buy a CZ!" etc are not options. I need to clear some cash and dont need any extras. That's the way of things. If you haven't guessed already... I'm getting married. :)

I posted earlier this year about this kind of dilemma, rotating your EDC... now it's time to vote!

Enable me Addicts!

2. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    “In short - Have you every struggled between a 1911 or P-Series SiG as your Primary in a given role? What did you decide and how did it work out? “

Yes. I sold my 220 and most of my other Sigs to buy more 1911s.

That is my preferred platform and what I carry.

You must also face the fact that if you sell off your 1911s the heavens will open and lightning will strike you dead....

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I voted but theres not a "screw anything that's not a 1911" option. Seriously though, I understand having a constant platform to work with. I've chosen the 1911. Being from Komifornia with a 10 round limit it was an easier decision for me though. I shoot my 1911's the best and I figure it will make a better club than a gluck if it comes to that.

WC145, gaijin, Kip and 3 others like this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I'll make this simple. Don't ever sell a gun you can't replace. Especially if it is for the "love" of a woman. You'll be kicking yourself in the arse if you ever do it.

Second. Make damn sure YOU want to get married and not just her. And third. Be sure you've been together at least a year minimum. Possibly even living together prior to it. Good luck.

5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    In the past I've sold off a nice double,and then a really nice Python for close to nothing because I "needed" cash.
    Never again.
    Your guns are already bought and paid for,no need to sell.
    And yes,I'm king of spending foolishly.
    I'll buy something and sweat buying gas and wishing I had something as good as Ramen noodles for dinner.
    In the end it all works out,and helps keeping skinny too!!!!:D

6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    No advice I give you will make any difference, as this is a decision that you will have to make on your own.

Since you are the one that will have to live with this decision. I wish you luck with your struggle.

7. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    Your asking a 1911 forum whether it's better to keep 1911 instead of a plastic gun?

8. Pablomigraine

Feb 17, 2018
    Haha thanks man. I almost didn't mention it for fear of a thread derail.

We've been together many many years. She's wonderful. Truth be told, its bigger than just paying off the last bit of the engagement ring (the immediate need for cash). I'm very close to being entirely debt-free now, and I want to build a house for us on my lil piece of land in Stowe, VT starting next year. I could keep all of them, and do pretty much whatever I liked.... but I've been working hard for a long time towards these goals... and to have spare / extra pistols simply isn't the responsible choice.

Back on topic! Votes!

Perhaps not, but it's always fun and often helpful to hear about how similar decisions worked out for others in the long term.

9. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I have a P226 in 9mm and two Para Ordnance PXT745 1911s in .45 Auto. I don’t have the luxury of carry capability as I live in the gun hating land of Canadastan, but I do shoot them equally and evenly. If I had my druthers, I would use my Sig as a daily and my Para as a beat around specialty gun.

Use them equally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    How small will this house be if two Dan Wesson's cover building????

11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Stay single is the responsible choice. Enjoyed my life way better single than being married.

12. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    My rule. Sell or trade anything plastic first.

But, I personally don't care for polymer guns that much, and never carry them. I am a Sig fan, and they have a role.

I have a stainless P220 I will never sell. But, my perfect German P220 got traded off. If I ever miss it, I guess I have pictures. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that's factory grease.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Damn straight Limb!!!

limbkiller likes this.
  14. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I like both the 1911's and Sigs . My regular carry piece is a P220 SAS . For carry I like the double action first shot and the decocker . 1911s are also my weakness . The ergonomics and the fact they just feel handy make them hard to resist . I would have to keep at least one of each .

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  15. Pablomigraine

Feb 17, 2018
    I think you misread something... this sale would cover the last lil bit of the engagement ring... but really it's just a piece of much larger long term thing.

Kip likes this.
  16. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    For easy money, I would sell the Legion. It's easy to replace later. Gets you to your goal quickly.

Pablomigraine likes this.
  17. Pablomigraine

Feb 17, 2018
    I'm a 36 year old consultant. Well-Dressed, well-groomed and talented but average on the whole.

She's a 24 year old underwear model from the Netherlands who thinks I'm practically superman. I'm wrapping it up.

Okay no more derail lolz!

Back on-topic!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  18. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Lmao

Kip likes this.
  19. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    This is like 10 bucks,and.....it's the thought that counts ;)
    il_570xN.1412868002_g8jl.jpg
    And yeah we're giving you a hard time...
    Patience dude,things always workout

20. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    You know what they say pics or it didn't happen... :p

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted