Ported 9mm 1911?

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by BMac74, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BMac74

BMac74 Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Hi all, just curious as I've seen this in a few places including the new Firehawk from Nighthawk. Where does a ported 9mm 1911 fit in the philosophy of use for competition? I think they are allowed for USPSA open for example, but others would have the full on race guns and from what I read porting isn't a big difference in a 9mm. Thanks!

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

A ported single stack is likely the worst choice for USPSA that you would ever want to choose. Sure they are allowed in open... But you would be up against the 170mm Double stack 9mm major/38 super/40SW boys. In other words they can finish a stage in a single mag while you are f---d.. :(

3. BMac74

BMac74 Member

Nov 15, 2018
    I am in NY which has a 10 round limit, does that influence at all?

4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    yeah thats a pretty big addendum.

You would have to ask NHC if they think their gun can handle 9mm Major loads. There us a rep on here but I forget his tag name.

5. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    An iron sighted comp gun would not be competitive in Open against the ubiquitous red dot racegun.
    A friend has a President 9mm which is a very fine Single Stack or L10 Minor gun.

6. BMac74

BMac74 Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Oh I was also checking out the President. If I read right, the slide cuts don't work in Single Stack but are ok in limited?

Thanks for the feedback on the Firehawk. Cool, but ultimately more of a range toy.

7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I confess to not being up to the minute on SS specs. If they don't allow superfluous holes, NH makes a lot of other guns.

8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Single stack in USPSA does not allow holes in the slide or barrel. You can remove material from the slide but don’t punch through

9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    OK.
    Back to the catalog, Bmac.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted