Positive "snicking" on/off on thumb safety.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by knedrgr, Feb 7, 2012.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Since this was recently discussed in a TS thread, I thought I would post a thread on this. Plus I had to put a STI ambi TS on my SA Compact.

First, this applies for both single TS and ambi TS. A more positive "snicking" off on a TS will prevent it from accidentally disengage from the "on" position. Here's is an area to modify if your TS doesn't have that positive clicking off.

Look at the concave area that the plunger comes into contact with. Also look at the corner that the plunger needs to break for it to click off. The sharper and more square the corner, the harder it is to click off. And the rounder the corner, the easier for it to over come the force of the plunger spring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So if you want a more positive click (ie harder for the TS to disengage). Take a file and increase the concave and sharpen corner.
    [​IMG]

There's no magic measurement on how much to file or how deep to go. It's different for every gun. Just remember that it's easier to take metal off than to add it back on. So go slowly and keep on testing the feel.

Once you're done, take some 600-800 grit sandpaper and polish up the area to remove file marks.

2. RaginCajun

RaginCajun Got Guns, Got Freedom Supporting Addict

Oct 20, 2011
    Really helpful post man, I had to pay a local smiff to show me this one.

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info Cuong.

4. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
  5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for that. I have been contemplating doing that since the first thread and the pics you provided. I did notice how my safety is clicking off, it happened two days ago. I carry all the time, except when I get on the facility that I work at, then it's stored in the truck. So, when I was taking the holster out of my pants and placing everything on the seat I heard the click. My thumb is on the top of the leather that is over the safety, and pulling all of that together is clicking it off. Makes 3 times it's happened now, but at least I now know how to fix it, or what to be careful of when disarming. I'm going to play with the feel of it and see if I really want it to be harder to click off (I like it being easy, but I'm not sure that's its not too easy), or if I just need to adjust the way I remove the holster when I arrive at work.

Anyway, thanks again!

6. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    You're welcome guys.

So base on the post, you can set the detent of the TS to have a pronounce concave and corner for a more positive disengagement.

In addition, you can also set up the engage detent to have an easier on clicking. So it's easier on your thumb to click the TS into the "on" position. Dress and polish the detent area for a smooth contact surface between the TS and plunger.

I've seen some plungers that still have some machine marks on there. So lastly, you should also polish the plunger ends w/ some used 600-800 grit sandpaper to remove these marks and smoothen both those ball ends.

7. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    So I got my Wilson Combat ambi safety fitted just about in my Sig 1911 rcs, but when I got both sides installed and everything back together it's like 3 times more difficult to engage and disengage the thumb safety..function checks prove it's working correctly but it's just really hard too flip up and down...ideas please?!

8. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Did you detail strip the gun and test to see if the left TS will move around the frame w/o any binding? Small burrs could cause it to bind to the frame. If it moves freely then great.

Does it left TS move freely, when function check w/o the right side? If so then great.

Does the right TS move freely in the frame w/o the left TS? If yes, then great.

If all of the above checks out. Once fully assembled, it binds. So check to see if your sear pin and hammer pins are relieved for you to run an ambi TS. If those pins are sticking out, then it's causing the right TS to bind, especially when the lock tab is placed under the grip.

And if your pins were relieved for an ambi TS, then check to see if your right grip is fully relieved for your lock tab to be under. I've found that some ambi have a longer lock tab, and it will go pass the ambi pocket in the grip, thus causing it to bind when the grip is secure to the frame. If your tab is too long, either open up the ambi pocket or file off some of the tab.

9. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    The left and right side moved freely when in the frame, right side more so than the left..I filed down the hammer and sear pins just enough to be flush with the frame. And I have a ambi cut in my new alumagrips and it's big enough for the right side..that's why I'm kinda puzzled why it's so stiff when using an I also made sure it had enough clearance in the lug so it cleared the frame

10. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Does it move without the grip tighten down?

11. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    It's still rough...

12. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    why did you not go with Wilson BP ambi?

13. Kutz

Kutz 1911zzz

Oct 6, 2012
    Interesting

14. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Are you sure you had removed enough materials off the sear block on the TS? It might be a tad thick for it to made it hard when rubbing on the sear.

15. alias

alias Dremel jockey

Aug 18, 2011
    Remove the hammer, sear, disconnector and the plunger spring assembly.
    Now try the safety.
    Add the plunger spring assembly.
    Try again.
    Now try it with everything but the plunger spring assembly.
    This should clearly reveal where the problem is.

16. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I got it smoothed out perfectly :) just needed some filing on the area that the safety plunger detent contacts the thumb safety. Smooth as butter now! Had to file more than I thought I would. uploadfromtaptalk1392275521264.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted