Possible Swenson sleeper for cheap . . . . ?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ZoidMeister, May 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I wish this was my cup of tea and that I had a little extra $$ to speculate, but this local to me gun looks like it might have some Swenson touches and is being offered for $750.

I don't know enough to know enough, but some of you might. Good luck, I'm not in the running, but thought I should at least let y'all know about it and evaluate. Located NE of Atlanta near Lake Lanier. Not listed as willing to ship.

The thread is a little on the old side (late March) but I didn't see any inquiries, and it isn't marked sold. Photos by the OP of this thread.

FS Colt 1911 MK IV / Series 70 Government Model

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-colt-1911-mk-iv-series-70-government-model.1647047/

2018-01-09 15.34.44.jpg

2018-01-09 15.35.07.jpg

2018-01-09 15.35.33.jpg

2018-01-09 15.35.46.jpg

2018-01-09 15.37.01.jpg

WHEELS likes this.
  2. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I’d jump on it if I could get it into Kalifornia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWoo45 likes this.

3. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Swenson used smith and wesson adjustable reat sigjts. No french border or strippling. Swenson I think never used comps.

zipper046, ZoidMeister and WC145 like this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    This one looks like a great future candidate for the frankenbuild gun thread!

LPRoad, FWoo45, ZoidMeister and 2 others like this.
  5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Swenson ambi safeties were sold for years and years and were common, you can't assume that because a gun has one that Swenson worked on it. That gun doesn't look like any of his work to me.

william adams and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I thought the same when I first saw it, but the hammer and especially the grip safety, made me pause. The contour on the grip safety looks custom.

I didn't know, so I thought I would post it for the real experts.

WC145 likes this.
  7. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    The only thing "Swenson" I see on the piece is his ambi safety.
    Rather looks like a cob job as far as build quality- not a Swenson hallmark.

WC145 likes this.
  8. sean10mm

sean10mm Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yeah, I'd like it OK as a base for doing whatever, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not a Swenson gun.

9. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    My Hoag has Swenson safeties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

10. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Ok, the link says the item is gone. Which one of you yayoos bought it? :p

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Yeah, none of that says "swenson" to me. The checkering style is wrong, and i can't recall ever seeing him use that comp or Wichita rear sight either. I can't recall if I've seen a swenson with the old clark safety

I can't even say it would be viable for a base. You really have to like the configuration it's in. if the beavertail radius is overcut, you're stuck with it, and if the smith cut the slide back to fit the comp, then not much you can do with that either. Wichita sight cuts aren't compatible with bomar or the aftermarket. you can weld up all of those areas, but it wouldn't be worth it

simonp likes this.
  12. Jason Burton

Jason Burton Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I don't see anything on that gun that is keeping with the style of Swenson's work.

13. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Looks like the gun has been sold but now has me wondering who did the work and if it was any good. Guess we won't know now. Oh well. Could have been a good deal for the price if well done.

14. Greg6640

Greg6640 John 14:6 Supporting Addict

Apr 20, 2015
    Bubba Swenson!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I know that Swenson was one of the "pioneers" in the 1911 Custom game but his style never worked for me. I drooled over Steve Nastoff's work. Wish he had stayed in the professional "builder" game!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted