1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
What’s a HOAG.
Jim Hoag was a pioneer in the custom 1911 gunsmithing world. He worked at King's Gun Works back in the late '60s/early '70s before opening his own shop. You'll hear his name mentioned with the likes of Armand Swenson, 'Al' Capone, Jim Clark, Sr., Austin Behlert, and other top 'smiths from that era. He just passed away a year or two ago. I've only owned one of his guns but had the pleasure of speaking to him a few times on the phone, he was a very nice guy.

This was mine, it belongs to another forum member now.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim Hoag was a pioneer in the custom 1911 gunsmithing world. He worked at King's Gun Works back in the late '60s/early '70s before opening his own shop. You'll hear his name mentioned with the likes of Armand Swenson, 'Al' Capone, Jim Clark, Sr., Austin Behlert, and other top 'smiths from that era. He just passed away a year or two ago. I've only owned one of his guns but had the pleasure of speaking to him a few times on the phone, he was a very nice guy.

This was mine, it belongs to another forum member now.

I am going to make your day. Jim Hoag isn't dead, just in a retirement home. After his shop and tools were auctioned off people assumed he had died.

·
7,829 Posts
I am going to make your day. Jim Hoag isn't dead, just in a retirement home. After his shop and tools were auctioned off people assumed he had died.
That's great to know since it was all over the gun forums that he had passed away. He was very gracious when I spoke to him and happy to answer my questions and just shoot the breeze for a few minutes.

·
7,829 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always liked his grip safeties. Just the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. I wish someone would mass produce them. I think each one was a standard safety that he welded up and refit to the individual pistol.

·
7,829 Posts
I always liked his grip safeties. Just the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. I wish someone would mass produce them. I think each one was a standard safety that he welded up and refit to the individual pistol.
A good 'smith should be able whittle one out of a beavertail for you but there are a couple being made that are reminiscent of Hoag's.
This is Greg Derr's-

And this is Wilson's Concealment grip safety-

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A good 'smith should be able whittle one out of a beavertail for you but there are a couple being made that are reminiscent of Hoag's.
This is Greg Derr's-

And this is Wilson's Concealment grip safety-
I have a gun with the Derr safety and while it's nicely made and can be perfectly fitted, I prefer the feel of the Hoag.

·
7,829 Posts
I have a gun with the Derr safety and while it's nicely made and can be perfectly fitted, I prefer the feel of the Hoag.
So do I, I don't have any use for the "memory bump" on the new ones. They're similar but not matching, but they're something to work with since you're not going to find any Hoags laying around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.