Precision Pistol 22, Nelson Conversion vs Volquartsen

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by PilotPhill, Mar 29, 2019.

Best 22 for Precision Pistol

1. Nelson Conversion

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Volquartsen

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. S&W 41

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. PilotPhill

PilotPhill New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Hello All,
    I’m wanting to get into Precision Pistol. I have a Ruger MKIV that I really like but I am not a fan of the steep grip angle compared to my 1911.

I would also likely use this Pistol in Steel Challenge.

What would you guys recommend? Nelson Conversion (I have a spare frame I could mount it on too), a Volquartsen, or something else?

Thanks, Phillip

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Steel Challenge allows 22s now? Cool.

I'd use my MKIII heavy barrel, but I actually like the grip angle on it. We're all different it seems. :)

3. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    20190213_183145.jpg I've got a Clark Custom Ruger MKII, nice pistol.
    I used to compete with a Hammerli 208S for years.
    Currently I compete with a dedicated lower below an all-steel, lock back Marvel 22 conversion. This is my favorite...
    I hate 8s, that one went a little quick.

FWoo45, gaijin and wrmiller like this.
  4. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    If you are running a 1911 for center fire and like it, go with the Nelson. Then each gun has the same feel and controls, mag change-drop-feed and less to think about with the switch.

Oldgunner, JNW and wrmiller like this.
  5. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    A5EF71D1-CF1D-4287-B1E4-51C91243085E.jpeg

I’m partial to a conversion. Mine has a custom built frame with everything to my spec. I love it! Don’t shoot my 41 anymore.
    Jeff

Steve B and wrmiller like this.
  6. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Yep.
    [​IMG]

FWoo45 and Steve B like this.
  7. PilotPhill

PilotPhill New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Those are some sweet looking 1911 Nelson 22s! Thank you for sharing and keep it coming

8. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Just trying to teach myself to shoot bullseye but I’m very happy with my Nelson. Wrote right hand bullseye on the target as I had been shooting left hand for a few months after right hand surgery. Now I’m back to shooting right hand.

View attachment 246641

9. 1911Luvr

1911Luvr Single stacks rock!

Jun 25, 2012
    I now shoot Steel Challenge with a Marvel Unit 1 conversion and my Ruger MKIII 22/45s all sit in my safe. After shooting a top notch conversion it’s hard to go back to the Ruger!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve B and FWoo45 like this.
  10. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I shoot SC with a Model 41 irons and a High Standard Supermatic Military optic. (Yes, SC includes all USPSA divisions plus Rimfire pistol and rifle, irons and optics.)

But I have a Marvel that shoots well, only needs the trigger pull reduced to suit a .22 instead of a .45.

11. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    My choice would be one of the Hammerli models ....if you are serious about bulls eye. My 2nd choice would be Pardini..

On a budget ...a model 41 or one of the High Standards might be a decent option ...But you need to find a good source for some of the older versions that were very high quality guns.

12. PilotPhill

PilotPhill New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Got it. Thanks guys!

13. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Get the conversion . Something else to consider . Set your conversion lower up just like your 45 wadgun . Same trigger , grips , 3.5lb trigger etc . Your 22 scores will suffer to begin with but it will payoff big time . It's much easier to learn one trigger & it will improve your 45 scores in the long run . USMC team shooter gave me same advise years ago . Built a dedicated lower just like my 45 & bought a Marvel Conversion . It took a few months & I shot my personal best with it . My 45 scores also improved . Before that I was shooting a HS 107 Military Citation or a S&W 41 in 22 portion of 2700 matches . 3 different triggers & I was struggling to break Expert . You get my point ? The Marine told me shooting a conversion helped him make High Master . In retrospect he gave me great advice . I still buy his post match beers when I run into him to this day . My first conversion was an aluminum slide Marvel w/o last round slide lock if that'll help you date my lessons . Steel Marvel or the Nelson . Most go with Nelson these days . BTW I still have the HS 107 , the S&W went down the road quite some time ago . Sounds exactly like what Greg Derr posted above . BTW Greg is a nationally known Bullseye Pistolsmith of great repute .

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Steve B likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted