• Other

Votes: 3 16.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I’m wanting to get into Precision Pistol. I have a Ruger MKIV that I really like but I am not a fan of the steep grip angle compared to my 1911.

I would also likely use this Pistol in Steel Challenge.

What would you guys recommend? Nelson Conversion (I have a spare frame I could mount it on too), a Volquartsen, or something else?

Thanks, Phillip

·
The Tinker
3,804 Posts
Steel Challenge allows 22s now? Cool.

I'd use my MKIII heavy barrel, but I actually like the grip angle on it. We're all different it seems. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
20190213_183145.jpg
I've got a Clark Custom Ruger MKII, nice pistol.
I used to compete with a Hammerli 208S for years.
Currently I compete with a dedicated lower below an all-steel, lock back Marvel 22 conversion. This is my favorite...
I hate 8s, that one went a little quick.

·
Custom Pistolsmith
744 Posts
If you are running a 1911 for center fire and like it, go with the Nelson. Then each gun has the same feel and controls, mag change-drop-feed and less to think about with the switch.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Just trying to teach myself to shoot bullseye but I’m very happy with my Nelson. Wrote right hand bullseye on the target as I had been shooting left hand for a few months after right hand surgery. Now I’m back to shooting right hand.

View attachment 246641

·
Single stacks rock!
164 Posts
I now shoot Steel Challenge with a Marvel Unit 1 conversion and my Ruger MKIII 22/45s all sit in my safe. After shooting a top notch conversion it’s hard to go back to the Ruger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I shoot SC with a Model 41 irons and a High Standard Supermatic Military optic. (Yes, SC includes all USPSA divisions plus Rimfire pistol and rifle, irons and optics.)

But I have a Marvel that shoots well, only needs the trigger pull reduced to suit a .22 instead of a .45.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My choice would be one of the Hammerli models ....if you are serious about bulls eye. My 2nd choice would be Pardini..

On a budget ...a model 41 or one of the High Standards might be a decent option ...But you need to find a good source for some of the older versions that were very high quality guns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get the conversion . Something else to consider . Set your conversion lower up just like your 45 wadgun . Same trigger , grips , 3.5lb trigger etc . Your 22 scores will suffer to begin with but it will payoff big time . It's much easier to learn one trigger & it will improve your 45 scores in the long run . USMC team shooter gave me same advise years ago . Built a dedicated lower just like my 45 & bought a Marvel Conversion . It took a few months & I shot my personal best with it . My 45 scores also improved . Before that I was shooting a HS 107 Military Citation or a S&W 41 in 22 portion of 2700 matches . 3 different triggers & I was struggling to break Expert . You get my point ? The Marine told me shooting a conversion helped him make High Master . In retrospect he gave me great advice . I still buy his post match beers when I run into him to this day . My first conversion was an aluminum slide Marvel w/o last round slide lock if that'll help you date my lessons . Steel Marvel or the Nelson . Most go with Nelson these days . BTW I still have the HS 107 , the S&W went down the road quite some time ago . Sounds exactly like what Greg Derr posted above . BTW Greg is a nationally known Bullseye Pistolsmith of great repute .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts