1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took a bunch of 1911's to the range . All are my new to me pistols I bought for SD . Majority are Full size 5'' & one is a LW alloy frame Officer size with a Commander slide . For years for my BE guns I bought Metalform mags because they were cheap & functioned well . If they didn't I 'd toss them . Well found out some of them wouldn't hold slide open after last round with full pressure or +P loads in 45 acp . For a range gun while aggravating but not life threatening . All these were the hardball mags with GI style followers with the tit . Even happened with a few in my NM " Hardball " gun . Needless to say they're going in the range only box . Had no problems with Mecgar mags or SA factory & Wilson 47D mags . Well I'm shopping for a bunch of new ones . Have been told that for Gov't size I want the CMC Power Mags or Wilson ETM's ( not the 47D ) . Compact alloy frame I've been told the CMC or Wilson with correct followers that will not contact the frame ramp . Again I'll state that these are for serious bet the farm use . I'd like some feedback before I buy . BTW pistols include SA TRP , RO , RO Elite , Custom built on a Nork , Custom built on a Caspian Recon & the LW . I've been using a Glock 30S for CCW for last couple years & it functions flawlessly with it's factory mags . I did put a minus connector in it & fitted a KKM barrel & Tru Glo NS . Quite accurate & controllable with Fed 230 HST +P & Horn Critical Duty 220 +P . Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome .

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,566 Posts
I'd use the magazine that works ;)

With that being said I like the Wilson ETMs and I think Ed Brown makes a really fine magazine but I don't think anyone here wouldn't feel safe carrying flush style Metalform's either. I've never had a failure with the Metalforms in my 38 supers

It's about what you gun likes. And, don't throw away you mags, Ed Brown gives a nice credit when you send them an old mag and buy a new one

Reactions: gps man

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
You need to use the mags that work w/ your gun. I have several different makes of mags (e.g. WC, Kings, Chip McCormick, and Colt). I have found that my Les Baer will eat anything, while the WC prefers WC mags.

Use what works.

Reactions: gps man

·
Registered
349 Posts
The truth is what everyone is saying, use the mags work well for your gun.

With that being said, I have found the CMC mags to be the best (especially the 10 rounders) for me. The new RPM mag body is awesome, and they are a usually a bit cheaper than Wilson Mags.

In alternate calibers to 45 (9mm and 10mm) I have had nothing but trouble with Wilson mags, but in 45 they seem to work, just no better than the CMC, Ed Brown etc.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,839 Posts
For a long while my primary mags have been CMC flush fits, 8rd for full size and 7rd for Officer's. Those are the ones that have been in my guns when I carry them, I've recently added a couple of factory Colt 8rd flush fits to that mix. My secondary mags, the ones I carry as spares, are Wilson 8rd. They're all proven and trusted.

For competition it's a mix of 8rd CMCs with bumper pads, 8rd Wilsons, and a few 8rd Wilson clones that I trust.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I only buy Tripp Research CobraMags anymore. They just seem to work reliably in every gun I've tried them in. I'm sure there are guns they won't work in but I guess I haven't owned those guns yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've used Wilson and CMC for years with no complaints. Heck last time I sold off my last 1911, I kept the mags knowing I'd buy another 1911 someday lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts