Preferred 1911 mags for SD / CCW

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Boatbum101, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Recently took a bunch of 1911's to the range . All are my new to me pistols I bought for SD . Majority are Full size 5'' & one is a LW alloy frame Officer size with a Commander slide . For years for my BE guns I bought Metalform mags because they were cheap & functioned well . If they didn't I 'd toss them . Well found out some of them wouldn't hold slide open after last round with full pressure or +P loads in 45 acp . For a range gun while aggravating but not life threatening . All these were the hardball mags with GI style followers with the tit . Even happened with a few in my NM " Hardball " gun . Needless to say they're going in the range only box . Had no problems with Mecgar mags or SA factory & Wilson 47D mags . Well I'm shopping for a bunch of new ones . Have been told that for Gov't size I want the CMC Power Mags or Wilson ETM's ( not the 47D ) . Compact alloy frame I've been told the CMC or Wilson with correct followers that will not contact the frame ramp . Again I'll state that these are for serious bet the farm use . I'd like some feedback before I buy . BTW pistols include SA TRP , RO , RO Elite , Custom built on a Nork , Custom built on a Caspian Recon & the LW . I've been using a Glock 30S for CCW for last couple years & it functions flawlessly with it's factory mags . I did put a minus connector in it & fitted a KKM barrel & Tru Glo NS . Quite accurate & controllable with Fed 230 HST +P & Horn Critical Duty 220 +P . Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome .

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'd use the magazine that works ;)

With that being said I like the Wilson ETMs and I think Ed Brown makes a really fine magazine but I don't think anyone here wouldn't feel safe carrying flush style Metalform's either. I've never had a failure with the Metalforms in my 38 supers

It's about what you gun likes. And, don't throw away you mags, Ed Brown gives a nice credit when you send them an old mag and buy a new one

gps man likes this.

3. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    FWIW........I use Tripp Research "Cobramags" exclusively. I use them in all my single stack 45 acp guns and my single stack 9mm guns. Always work and lock the slide to rear when empty. YMMV.

TR

azpoolguy and gps man like this.
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    You need to use the mags that work w/ your gun. I have several different makes of mags (e.g. WC, Kings, Chip McCormick, and Colt). I have found that my Les Baer will eat anything, while the WC prefers WC mags.

Use what works.

gps man likes this.
  5. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    The truth is what everyone is saying, use the mags work well for your gun.

With that being said, I have found the CMC mags to be the best (especially the 10 rounders) for me. The new RPM mag body is awesome, and they are a usually a bit cheaper than Wilson Mags.

In alternate calibers to 45 (9mm and 10mm) I have had nothing but trouble with Wilson mags, but in 45 they seem to work, just no better than the CMC, Ed Brown etc.

6. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I tend to agree about Wilson mags even the new ETM ones .

7. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    For a long while my primary mags have been CMC flush fits, 8rd for full size and 7rd for Officer's. Those are the ones that have been in my guns when I carry them, I've recently added a couple of factory Colt 8rd flush fits to that mix. My secondary mags, the ones I carry as spares, are Wilson 8rd. They're all proven and trusted.

For competition it's a mix of 8rd CMCs with bumper pads, 8rd Wilsons, and a few 8rd Wilson clones that I trust.

8. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I only buy Tripp Research CobraMags anymore. They just seem to work reliably in every gun I've tried them in. I'm sure there are guns they won't work in but I guess I haven't owned those guns yet.

9. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I've used Wilson and CMC for years with no complaints. Heck last time I sold off my last 1911, I kept the mags knowing I'd buy another 1911 someday lol.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted