Preferred extractors & Angle Bored Bushing ?'s

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Boatbum101, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I've got 7 Gov't size all are 45acp . Most are SA , 1 Nork & 1 DW Valor . I imagine the DW is good to go & only 2 mods I'm considering are a small radius FPS & a tighter barrel bushing . The SA's I'll gradually replace all the MIM stuff along with small radius FPS & tighter bushings . Years ago the C&S extractors were the cats meow , but needed some mods etc . These days I'm more inclined to either the EGW HD , Nowlin " Tuff Stuff " or Wilson " Proof " . Looking at the EGW it seems the most robust , but looks as though they might be a pain to fit . Have no personal preference but would prefer something that'll give good service assuming I do my part & fit them correctly . Was wondering what the current consensus was .
    Bushings I believe I'll go with EGW angle bored as I can get them custom machined to my dimensions . Lets say I want .001" clearance both ID & OD . Do I subtract my clearance from actual measurements or just order what barrel diameter & slide opening actually mic ? I've only fit NM bushings on BE guns & using the EGW's all the works pretty much been done . No reaming , expanding skirt to fit slide or turning down & no relieving for barrel lock / unlock clearance .
    I've been fitting / installing small radius FPS & really like the Harrison ones . They come with a 3/64" bevel already & are less work to fit than the EGW ones especially if you're doing it all by hand . I'm also looking at their smooth faced triggers with fixed overtravel stops . Dang serrated trigger faces eat my fingers up now days & are painful if I shoot more than 50 rounds .

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    I’ve had great results with the Wilson BP extractors so I’m mentioning those.

C&S has an extractor that they claim is the only one made from the milspec steel. Could be interesting.

EGW or Bunker on the bushings.

3. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I like paragraphs.

Ifyourunawholebunchofdifferenttopicsintoonemassofsentencesitbecomesarealchoretodecipherandespondtoposts...

azpoolguy likes this.
  4. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    A month ago I called everyone who makes extractors to find out the length of theirs from the rear wall of the firing pin stop slot to the hook to verify my choice of extractors. Things change and I just wanted to double check my choice for replacement extractors.

For some years now my SOP is to throw away every OEM extractor that crosses my path and replace it with the EGW HD. I do this because in my experience most OEM extractors are sub-contracted out to the lowest bidder. The result is usually extractors that are way too long, lousy steel, and/or generally poor dimensions.

I like the EGW because it is the shortest commonly available after-market extractor in terms of the breechface to hook distance. You're looking for this distance to be .075" in a .45. The EGW gets the closest to this measurement and often is right on it in Colts, Springfields, and Caspian slides. Any longer than that and you begin having to file away the front of the hook to get it to clear the case bevel.

Also, the EGW has an oversized claw which allows you to maximize the claw contact area while still being able to put a nice bevel and radius at the bottom of the claw and at the bottom of the tensioing wall. It also has an oversized locating pad which, again, allows for a precise fit in terms of deflection to your specific slide.

As for the angle bore bushing, I urge you to call EGW directly. They are super knowledgeable, friendly, and totally customer oriented.

gaijin and HOGRIDER like this.
  5. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Wilson BP and EGW.
    Not necessarily in that order.

6. jglenn

jglenn Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Steve explained exactly why I've been on EGW extractors for a while.. their simple practical extractors work perfectly for me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I tried an EGW HD extractor in my first build. It was difficult to tune. I then started reading the specs on most full house customs and one part that most of them had in common with the Wilson Bullet Proof extractor. I have since used them in my last 4 builds. They work very well and are easy to tune.

I have only ever used the EGW angle bore bushings. They are great for guys like me that are just working with hand tools and don’t have access to a lathe.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and wrmiller like this.
  8. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    The length of various extractors came up earlier in this thread.

I measured an EGW Heavy Duty extractor that I had on hand and it's length was 2.3465". I also had a Cylinder & Slide Ultimate extractor on hand and it measured 2.365". So the C&S was .0185" longer than the EGW.

If anyone has other extractors, I'd be interested to know how their length compares to these two.

EGW 2.3465"
    C&S 2.365"

Length is defined as "distance" in the picture below.

[​IMG]

Pedro, Boatbum101 and azpoolguy like this.
  9. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Mar 10, 2017
    @Steve in Allentown, I just measured a Wilson's Bulletproof out of my Officers acp and it was 2.3455 leaning on the thumb wheel.
    My calipers are cheap, but I checked it a couple times.
    Pedro.

Steve in Allentown likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted