Preferred Hand Checkering Files and Jigs?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Rezarf, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Rezarf

Rezarf Active Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Hi there,

I am going to checker the front strap on one of my old faithful guns. It is an alloy frame Champion from SA. I was curious what brand files (or even where to source them beyond Brownells) you have liked and what jigs you prefer for the hobbyist beginner.

I'd like to do 20 or 25 LPI

Thank you in advance-

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I've always gotten my files from Brownells, so I'm not sure what else is out there.

As for jigs, I've never used one. For the verts I use the inside of the smooth vise jaws to get one or two lines started. The horizontal lines I use the old Mk I eyeball. I will put a zip tie up near the top to help better terminate my vertical lines.

FYI, I've not tried to do 20 lpi checkering on a alloy frame because that pitch has the deepest cuts and I try not to get too aggressive with anything on a alloy frame for fear of cracking it. Probably just me though. :)

Rezarf likes this.

3. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I just finished a 20 Lpi on the same gun. Like posted above, all my checkering files have been purchased from brownells. I have the cheap 25 dollar fixture they sell and the marvel jig ($250 or so if I remember correctly). I use the marvel jig to get my first lines, both horizontal and vertical started, then continue by hand.

Aluminum is less forgiving than steel, so I actually find it harder to checker. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. E306C25D-CB5D-4942-B78C-3413EF4CCE93.jpeg C84201F9-3E0C-478E-A132-4744A326B215.jpeg

Greg45acp, Mike0251, wrmiller and 7 others like this.
  4. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Oh, my goodness !!

That Op is gorgeous !!

5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Nice checkering. :)

I like full pointed checkering (read sharp), so I go a bit deeper than that. Just personal preference.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted