What's your preferred takedown method?

• Slide Stop

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Bushing/Spring Plug

Votes: 24 37.5%

Preferred Method of Takedown

3K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  sawman556 
#1 ·
Was talking with a buddy about different takedown options and was curious what other prefer to do.

I tend to pull the slide back one handed and remove the slide stop and then slide the whole top end off but I'm sure others prefer to remove the spring plug and bushing, etc.

So what do you prefer?

#10 ·
For me it depends on which gun I’m tearing down. I prefer the slide stop take down because it’s just so much faster. But my hands are small and just not strong enough for some springs. That and I don’t want to break a nail if I can help it. 😗💅

#11 · (Edited)
I know the spring plug is only a $4 part, but given the number of guns I've had where the plug is scarred up from bushing removal method...

Pull the slide stop first.

I hate FLGRs with a passion if they force me to change this method. Springfield, I'm looking at you. Dawson tool-less guide rods do the job for me and there are a few paperclips/bent nails on my workbench that allow takedown and disassembly via slide stop with the spring compressed.

#14 ·
Why on earth would I ever want to break down my 1911s???

I just buy them and sell them.

Just kidding!!!!

Hand Arm Muscle Sleeve Gesture

#19 ·
I can take it down with the slide stop coming out first, but I kinked my recoil spring by trying to reassemble it that way. The little GI nub doesn’t hold enough of the spring for me to get it back together. I would imagine a 9mm or a gun with a flat wire recoil spring would be a little easier.

#22 ·
Same as most of you. Slide Stop method. As long as you're careful and capture the spring on the GI style. Full length guide rod is easy as heck with this method. No worries of the spring shooting across the room.

I've done it both ways and it's just easier and quicker with the slide stop. That is unless it's a new ACW! Freaking tight as heck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.