1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Addicts,

Just randomly thinking about the press check. To me, it seems like a solution looking for a problem. Or maybe a better description would be a solution to address bad carry practices, like carrying on an empty chamber?

The only scenario for me personally where I could see using a press check would be if I took a gun off of someone else to use in a tactical scenario. The chances of me being in a scenario like that are about ZERO.

Can anyone provide sensible reasons for this practice?

Thanks in advance for input.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
The propensity for standard human error?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes Sir , it beats putting a rubber band on your Peter to remember
Your gun is loaded. :D
Better said than I could have.
As far as the practice of the press check, if you don’t have any other way to verify that the chamber is loaded before holstering, then the press check is the last chance to be absolutely sure of a “hot” chamber.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Better said than I could have.
As far as the practice of the press check, if you don’t have any other way to verify that the chamber is loaded before holstering, then the press check is the last chance to be absolutely sure of a “hot” chamber.
I guess I could see that. I just assume that when I reholster, the gun IS loaded and act accordingly. If I need to reholster an empty gun, I drop the mag, lock the slide back and eyeball the well and chamber before returning the slide to battery, dropping the hammer and reholstering.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,231 Posts
If the hammer is back and the safety is on......
Whats the point?
Well, we all make mistakes, and we just want to be sure.
Over, and over and over again.:confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oversights happen especially when you carry a gun every single day for work. Ive seen it happen and have done so myself over my 14 year career in LE where a simple oversight from drills or having to down your weapon to secure it and not re-chambering a round. if you have to leave your gun unattended for any period of time, its not a bad idea to do a press check when you go to carry it again.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,563 Posts
I think when training with your primary carry gun you should be 100% comfortable with all things related to it and every situation --- like press checking. I've seen people shaking so hard when doing a press check for the first time because they have some fear a round will go off if the slide was to slip, drop, etc. Why are they doing a press check for the 1st time? When I take a newbie to the range I try and show/explain/demonstrate everything and explain all possible terminology if we are doing multiple sessions.

I can see a self-defense situation where you had to reload and were taking cover that you may want to double check you had a round chambered before re-engaging.

·
6,563 Posts
Oversights happen especially when you carry a gun every single day for work. Ive seen it happen and have done so myself over my 14 year career in LE where a simple oversight from drills or having to down your weapon to secure it and not re-chambering a round. if you have to leave your gun unattended for any period of time, its not a bad idea to do a press check when you go to carry it again.
Agreed, 1000%

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think when training with your primary carry gun you should be 100% comfortable with all things related to it and every situation --- like press checking. I've seen people shaking so hard when doing a press check for the first time because they have some fear a round will go off if the slide was to slip, drop, etc. Why are they doing a press check for the 1st time? When I take a newbie to the range I try and show/explain/demonstrate everything and explain all possible terminology if we are doing multiple sessions.

I can see a self-defense situation where you had to reload and were taking cover that you may want to double check you had a round chambered before re-engaging.
That certainly makes sense. I have always unloaded and reloaded before leaving the house. I could see how a press check would be another pre-home departure check option.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yesterday I was running some drills with a few of the members here, We were being timed, had to know our round count, and sometimes the drill called for all the ammo we had in the pistols. Now before we hit the timer for the next round, we all checked our magazines and press checked to see that one was in the chamber and we were ready to go. We all did this before each round. It is embarrassing to pull the trigger and hear click at the line, It could be deadly in a self defense scenario. Also some pistols have either chamber indicators or slits in the top of the barrel so you can see the bullet in the chamber.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,459 Posts
I carry often, but not every day. I check my Officer's because it has been hanging in a shoulder rig for a couple days and kind of unattended. Someone tremendously more learned than I in the "Way of the Gun" told me to check. Just like I check the cylinder on my J frame every day or so. And most of all, because I do not like the look on my face when I draw a gun on someone I intend to send elsewhere on the planet or to the reaches of hell......and all I hear is click. And I can't find the right size rubber band.....LMAO!!!!!

·
6,563 Posts

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
If my guns have been lying on my desk, or my night stand, and I put one back in my pocket or in a holster before I go out, I just peek to be sure it’s hot. I futz with my guns, clean guns, shoot them in matches, and I just like to be sure it is in the condition I thought it was in before I might actually need it.

I also press check after every “load and make ready” at a match. If the mag is not properly seated you might think you chambered a round when you didn’t. You don’t have to start a stage without one in the pipe but one time.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts