1911 Firearm Addicts banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yep, bullseye is like golf or chess to watch.
Bullseye, absolutely the most difficult of all the pistol games! Has anyone ever "recorded" a perfect score?

Some even say "Gallery" B/E is even more challenging!

Smiles,

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Hello Fellow Addicts,

Just randomly thinking about the press check. To me, it seems like a solution looking for a problem. Or maybe a better description would be a solution to address bad carry practices, like carrying on an empty chamber?

The only scenario for me personally where I could see using a press check would be if I took a gun off of someone else to use in a tactical scenario. The chances of me being in a scenario like that are about ZERO.

Can anyone provide sensible reasons for this practice?

Thanks in advance for input.
I'll play, even though I'm lazy and didn't read the 11 pages , so I am sure the narrative has changed by this point,

I carry daily and press check every time I throw the gun in the holster for the day, and I'll also check the mag to make sure I am topped off with 1 in the chamber,

The real question is , why would you not
If only carry 1 gun or feel you are squared away not confirming, alright then.
Personally I rotate a lot of carry guns from full size/mid/compact....too many weapons to keep up with not to do it, and there really is no downside, zero.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a clearing barrel in my garage next to my bench. Every day on my way out, I drop the mag of whatever pistol I'm carrying, rack the slide (3 times) and verify clear. Then reload, chamber, top off the mag and holster.

Thanks Gunsite.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not exactly a press check story, but more of a check your gear...

I was a LEO in Alaska, and one day I took a bad spill on some black ice. Got up, cleaned myself off and felt to make sure my weapon was in place (carried a Glock 23 at the time) and all felt well. I went about the rest of the afternoon and when I got home and took my gear off, the mag was slightly dislodged - looked and felt in place. When i fell, my bodyweight smashed the gun between me and the ground, just enough to get the mag release. In hindsight, that would have been a good moment for an overall gear check.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a clearing barrel in my garage next to my bench. Every day on my way out, I drop the mag of whatever pistol I'm carrying, rack the slide (3 times) and verify clear. Then reload, chamber, top off the mag and holster.
Sounds more complicated than necessary, but if it makes you warm & fuzzy, be all means keep up your garage barrel routine.

As to the mechanics of a proper press check, this guy manages to over-complicate what should be a simple hand-movement. No doubt vids like this give Steven Seagal giggle-fits. ;)

Thanks Gunsite.
Why blame them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have one 1911 with a little cutout in the chamber so you can see brass, and I gotta say I like it, makes press checking unnecessary. Never thought I'd say that!

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,563 Posts
I can't believe this went 11 pages and morphed into bullseye shooting and safety checks.

A press check is to insure the gun is loaded and ready, period.

Short of dropping the magazine and racking the slide, chasing down the ejected round, etc. The press check is easy and quick. Anyone that is afraid of doing it shouldn't be carry a weapon.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,728 Posts
Some of the credit may go to the tv/movie people. They do it all the time, just like the way some of them will rack the slide on their shotgun 2 or 3 times while entering a home.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Or rack the slide on their revolver. :confused:

Reactions: Frank Black and Kip

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I have a gun loaded it will have one in the hole. A full mag and one in the barrel. No exceptions, ever. The only time I have ever press checked is while shooting with others. We are usually shooting each others guns so sometimes I will press check. That's the only time I ever do it.
I agree with you. Press checks are Hollywood, and meaningless.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I agree with you. Press checks are Hollywood, and meaningless.
I guess you just don’t shoot enough, take enough classes or train in a complex environment. I see some one in almost every class go to shoot a drill, quals or demo and click. Guess they should have press checked. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

I also insert a magazine. Smack it a bit with the palm of my hand and then give it a pull to make sure it’s seated. I’m all Hollywood.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts