1911 Firearm Addicts banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
The Tinker
3,828 Posts
One handed press checks. I mean if you're going to do press checks just go all out! 😁

Yawn... been there done that. :)

There are those who do it, and those who don't. For those who disagree with one position or the other, express yourselves, and then move on. Having said that... ;)

Reactions: OldCuz

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,402 Posts
Yawn... been there done that. :)

There are those who do it, and those who don't. For those who disagree with one position or the other, express yourselves, and then move on. Having said that... ;)
I posted that being sarcastic. If I have a gun that's loaded then there will be one in the hole. No need for me to ever press check. If I shot competition I would think that I would often. But I don't. When I'm at the range with others and shooting each others guns I will.
If I'm alone shooting I have no need to.

·
The Tinker
3,828 Posts
I posted that being sarcastic. If I have a gun that's loaded then there will be one in the hole. No need for me to ever press check. If I shot competition I would think that I would often. But I don't. When I'm at the range with others and shooting each others guns I will.
If I'm alone shooting I have no need to.
Figured that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. And it's all good. Not sure who that guy was trying to impress, but about the third time I did that, I almost dropped my pistol. I don't do that anymore. IMO that stunt is more hollywood than anything.

Reactions: OldCuz

·
Registered
None, boating accident!
88 Posts
How can any safety check be bad?
If you are really unsure, and think press check is bad, what’s better?

as a combat vet, you can bet I press checked over and over in some places.....
Nervous habit. But I knew over and over I was ready..
I was not alone....

dropping a mag to do so is not an option...
If I needed bang, I needed bang....
And artillery, and air support, and first aid.
And over watch...anything to win the fight.

That served me and the team well...

·
The Tinker
3,828 Posts

I was not alone....

Maybe some of these folks have never seen combat, or even been in a competition setting? Who knows.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,402 Posts
Press checks, safety checks and all the other checks are just that. To check, to confirm what state the firearm is in. If I don't know I want to know and I will check to see. But, if I already know I am not going to check. I'm not against checking but checking when it's not necessary is not necessary. 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts
The longer I'm around guns the more frequently I find myself press checking. Early on in my firearms handling experience I though I was king ****.... well I managed to not verify that all of my mags were empty and sent a round through a couple of walls. Now I understand that complacency is amongst the largest issues we face. I want to always make sure I know what condition my firearm is In; the best way to achieve that is by press checking, and tugging the mag.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I never in a million years thought that when I started this thread there would be so many responses. Lots of thought provoking comments from lots of knowledgeable individuals. I sometimes think I should have worded the title to the thread differently. In hindsight, maybe a bit TOO provoking! Definitely agree that when you carry, you should confirm if you're loaded/unloaded prior. I had never used a press check method before was all. Never used in combat either, but only because I always watched to make sure the round was being stripped and going into battery, including reloads. As long as it works for you its all good! Appreciate the comments folks!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I agree with you. Press checks are Hollywood, and meaningless.
If you are being facetious, not bad.

If you are being serious, your thinking is just as seriously flawed. In that case, I would strongly recommend organized training in the Modern Technique of the Pistol.

·
Premium Member
27,317 Posts
I never in a million years thought that when I started this thread there would be so many responses. Lots of thought provoking comments from lots of knowledgeable individuals. I sometimes think I should have worded the title to the thread differently. In hindsight, maybe a bit TOO provoking! Definitely agree that when you carry, you should confirm if you're loaded/unloaded prior. I had never used a press check method before was all. Never used in combat either, but only because I always watched to make sure the round was being stripped and going into battery, including reloads. As long as it works for you its all good! Appreciate the comments folks!
A wonderful topic......well done Sir

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts

I was not alone....

Well....press checking with your bugger hook on the bang switch may qualify as a "bad safety check"...;):)

Reactions: TexasBB

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
If you are being facetious, not bad.

If you are being serious, your thinking is just as seriously flawed. In that case, I would strongly recommend organized training in the Modern Technique of the Pistol.
I have actually taken Hollywood types up to the range to show them how things really work including cyclic weapons. Huge waste of time. But it was a favor so I actually did it.

Real press checks were popular in the 70s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I first began carrying, I would press check every time I would holster the gun. Mind you, I would never unload it at night and the damn thing is never further than 20 yards from me when not holstered, but still I would check. One day I had to clear the weapon for one reason or another and the ejected round looked a little off. I compared it side by side with a fresh round from the mag and sure enough, set-back.

Something to consider if you do not shoot your carry ammo with some regularity. I know I would not want to find out what happens when you shoot a shortened version of an already stout cartridge. I have since stopped press checking, but that may change if my current circumstance ever does.

·
He's a large "member"
1,295 Posts
When I first began carrying, I would press check every time I would holster the gun. Mind you, I would never unload it at night and the damn thing is never further than 20 yards from me when not holstered, but still I would check. One day I had to clear the weapon for one reason or another and the ejected round looked a little off. I compared it side by side with a fresh round from the mag and sure enough, set-back.

Something to consider if you do not shoot your carry ammo with some regularity. I know I would not want to find out what happens when you shoot a shortened version of an already stout cartridge. I have since stopped press checking, but that may change if my current circumstance ever does.
Out of curiosity how far were you sending the slide to the rear? 2nd what gun were you carrying?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts

If your pistol is causing set back from press checks there is something wrong with your barrel. Now ejecting and re chambering the same round repeatedly is another story.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Out of curiosity how far were you sending the slide to the rear? 2nd what gun were you carrying?
If your pistol is causing set back from press checks there is something wrong with your barrel. Now ejecting and re chambering the same round repeatedly is another story.
It is a DW Classic Bobtail I had custom built. I would only pull the slide back far enough to see brass, 1/4 inch, if that.

Wouldn’t surprise me if something were wrong with the barrel, but I can’t be for sure. The pistol is currently with Steve at Integrity for, you guessed it, a new barrel (among some other things).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have actually taken Hollywood types up to the range to show them how things really work including cyclic weapons. Huge waste of time. But it was a favor so I actually did it.

Real press checks were popular in the 70s.
What differentiates a real press check from a... fake presscheck?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 241 Posts