Pretty sure I'm a Addict

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by LateLearnerCT, Sep 25, 2020.

1. LateLearnerCT

LateLearnerCT Member

Sep 18, 2020
    51 years old. Just introduced to shooting last year with a Beretta 9mm and FNX 45. Loved the FNX so started doing my research and looking around. Picked up a used gen4 Glock 34 which I put a Apex trigger into and a Holosun red dot along with some Talon grips while I kept looking for pistols I was more interested in.

Shot a friends Sig 1911 and was blown away with the trigger feel. Ordered and just received a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 which I am very excited about after reading endless DW recommendations on this forum and elsewhere. A half hour after I picked up the PM9, I got a call from the local gun shop telling me they had a HK VP9 longslide inbound and since I had mentioned that if HK would just make a LS instead of selling a conversion kit after the purchase, I would be interested, they put me on top of the list. So, I am now a proud owner of that one.

While filling out the paperwork and professing my love for 1911s, they showed me two trade-ins. A Wilson Combat Professional with a bob tail that looks to be in very good condition and a Springfield TRP Operator(5") with RMR in 10mm which was traded in after 20 rounds through it because it wasn't approved for IDPA.

Here is my dilemma. Both of these were offered to me at a very good price. I have wanted to get a 45acp next but the Operator felt great too. I have not fired 10mm but have no trouble with 45. At equal or similar $, would you strongly suggest one over the other or just personal preference? Full disclosure, I don't plan on hunting with a 10mm, just range steel, bowling pins and fun. I can't buy both because buying 4 in a week would probably require admission to a treatment facility or a 12-step program!

Care to help a fellow Addict out?

isialk, jcc7x7, Babboonbobo and 4 others like this.
  2. soverystout

soverystout Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    They are offering a Wilson Combat Professional 45 for "similar money" to a Springfield TRP Operator in 10MM.

Everything else being equal you should take the Wilson all day long. The Springfield can easily be added later on.

3. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Welcome from Alabama, hope you enjoy! Wilson.jpg

simonp, isialk, cherokee2u and 4 others like this.
  4. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    ...and all night. Totally agree.

isialk, Lineman1982 and 1911 crazed like this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    1439b.jpg
    I do believe you came to the right place for help. :sneaky:
    U C the 10 mm has ammo availble right now & when the .45 acp comes back you can shoot your .45. It's that easy just buy both. :laugh:

U did ask a bunch of Addicts to help you buy a 1911 sooo your wish is our command Master.

Don't forget @Gripwright he has what you need for shoes.

tac45, isialk, cherokee2u and 4 others like this.
  6. ace009

ace009 Kamehameha!!!

Dec 5, 2019
    I'd pick up the Wilson. The 10mm TRP w/ rmr will more likely sit at the shop long enough for you to eventually buy it too.

simonp, isialk, WC145 and 6 others like this.
  7. LateLearnerCT

LateLearnerCT Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Thanks for the help. Ticket price on both was very similar but they quickly offered $300 off the TRP. If there is any wiggle on the Wilson, that will push me over the edge fast!

And those grips look gorgeous! My sweaty mitts might need a little more texture though

isialk, WC145 and Mike A like this.
  8. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Another welcome from Alabama.
    PM9 two tone.jpg

simonp, Mike A, tac45 and 7 others like this.
  9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Welcome to the Addiction

10. Eddie D

Eddie D Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2020
    We all have the addiction!! I love my Wilson and that would be my pick. Welcome from South Mississippi. Enjoy the journey, it’s a long ride and me personally, I want them all!!! 382AA830-FA05-41AD-AE3C-3A617BE29398.jpeg

tac45, isialk, cherokee2u and 5 others like this.
  11. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    209F7DFC-68E0-47CC-A5F3-D166E61ADE74.jpeg Welcome from Lockhart, Texas.

tac45, isialk, cherokee2u and 6 others like this.
  12. LateLearnerCT

LateLearnerCT Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Thanks for all the support and guidance!

Can't believe I'm buying 3 guns in one week! Went from "this range bag is way too big" to "might need a second range bag" in a matter of days. And I thought my car modifying addictions were bad...oh well, when it rains, it pours...and in a drought, rain is good so...

13. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Welcome to the show, with out a doubt you are well on your way to addicts"ville"!
    Buy the Wilson.
    38 Super on SA frame.jpg
    SA Frame with a 38 superb top end!

14. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I must say you may be a late learner, however you surely are a fast learner LOL.
    Welcome aboard we need fellow addicts like you, after all can't take it with you :laugh:.

You will want to keep a close eye on the classy E fides there some who show things like Karl we all know him. :sneaky: He has things that make you :cry: well things like thinking where you can get some dam money to buy it. :bang:

So just pull up a log & set back by the fire, & swap stories with everyone.

isialk, LateLearnerCT and 1911 crazed like this.
  15. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Well, looks like you got bit by the same bug that bit us! Haha, you landed in the right place.
    Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

20200606_191839.jpg

tac45, isialk, cherokee2u and 9 others like this.
  16. dasroofr

dasroofr Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Welcome to the forum, from Southern Colorado. You have just joined the largest group of enablers on the net!!!!!

isialk, OldCuz, Mike A and 4 others like this.
  17. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Welcome from nw Ohio and sounds like you have a good start:o.o:
    Buy the Wilson

isialk, OldCuz, Mike A and 3 others like this.
  18. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Welcome from Illinois!
    Buy a Wilson! 340BDB99-89CF-4A02-9011-318F823F425E.jpeg

JM44, jcc7x7, isialk and 5 others like this.
  19. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Welcome to the board.

To be honest, you should turn and
    run...:)

You just stepped in a rabbit hole that runs deep! You stick around here
    You’ll end up with the nicest collection in town, broke, and in divorce court:cool2:

JM44, isialk, OldCuz and 5 others like this.
  20. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Howdy from TexMexistan...
    Get the .45
    Or the 10mm
    [​IMG]

tac45, isialk, OldCuz and 6 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted