1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The primer situation is crazy. I've been scouring the web for small pistol primers for months without much luck. I see them on Gunbroker but the prices are ridiculous. About 5 months ago a LGS posted on Facebook that they had gotten in 30k spp. They were limiting sales to 200 per customer. I went there the next morning and bought the last 200 that were remaining for $30. That is what I was paying for 1000 before covid. I hate to admit this, but I went to a gun show this morning and paid $200 for 1000 Winchester spp. If this situation doesn't end soon, I may have to find a new hobby. I'm thinking about taking up spear throwing.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
They are going to ammo makers. Do not expect any changes any time soon. :mad:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Just be patient and if possible shoot LPP, I alternate in classes over the last year between running my EDC in 9 or one of my 1911’s in 45.

Fortunately for me I’m still using up the ammo I loaded last March & April when this started, probably crack open my primer stash in June/July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just be patient and if possible shoot LPP, I alternate in classes over the last year between running my EDC in 9 or one of my 1911’s in 45.

Fortunately for me I’m still using up the ammo I loaded last March & April when this started, probably crack open my primer stash in June/July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I primarily shoot and reload 9mm and .45 acp. Since this mess started, I've been shooting mostly .45. The prices are high but LPP seem to be easier to find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, $200.00 per thousand. That is high enough for me to considering to sell a few, of course it would have to be face to face. Stocked up when the prices were good so the shortage has not bothered anything.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Feeling your pain, thats typical price (200/1000) around here at gun shows for primers. And there’s piles of them if you want to pay the price. Starting to see just a few dropping their price just a little bit, maybe a good sign. Oddly enough powder and most bullets are priced more reasonable. Loaded factory ammo is priced out of sight however.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They are going to ammo makers. Do not expect any changes any time soon. :mad:
The primers aren’t going to the ammo makers. They already have them as they are the ones who make the primers. And those primers are going into their loaded ammo first. In the big picture, Joe Blow reloader guy isn’t their #1 priority. They make more money from selling loaded ammo.

The CEO of Federal said he doesn’t expect primers to be available for sale to the public until 2022.

Reactions: Tnj1911

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
At gun shows they are bringing $150-:200; per 1K
BG is up to 35-40 cents PER PRIMER.

hoping either primers show up by the end of 2021 or ammo prices drop enough to make buying ammo the way to go until primers come in

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
The primers aren’t going to the ammo makers. They already have them as they are the ones who make the primers. And those primers are going into their loaded ammo first. In the big picture, Joe Blow reloader guy isn’t their #1 priority. They make more money from selling loaded ammo.

The CEO of Federal said he doesn’t expect primers to be available for sale to the public until 2022.
Addicts need an "unlike" button for posts like these!

I get that 2022 is only 7 months away but I really hope Federal is wrong or its just Federal.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
It sucks, and I feel your pain, but I'm not going to pay those prices they are just ripping the reloaders off. I got enough LG Pistol Primers to last me a long time, the problem is I've gotten into the 9mm scene with the Staccato line and I never thought about buying Small Pistol Primers when I was buying 5000 LGPP every two weeks till I got them built up to were I am now.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts

Need to learn about primers and who the actual manufacturers are. Yes Federal Is one of the manufacturers who manufacturers primers for themselves and others. FWIW the primers always go to loaded ammo first. That is the way it has always been and most likely will always be.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Need to learn about primers and who the actual manufacturers are. Yes Federal Is one of the manufacturers who manufacturers primers for themselves and others. FWIW the primers always go to loaded ammo first. That is the way it has always been and most likely will always be.
I’m going on the fact that Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington are all under the same CEO/company (Vista Outdoors) and make their own stuff. And Winchester makes their own primers. Yes, they may also supply others but those are the biggest names the average person gets their primers from for reloading.

It all might be a moot point anyway if Biden gets his way and signs an EO or gets legislation through that bans online ammo sales and requires a background check for ammo purchases because you can bet that’s going to include reloading supplies.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
Primers are at least eight months away, when you see them they may be Xtreme and Wolf.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
brownells is offering remington 1 1/2 spp now 2000 limit pe r order

Reactions: Mike Meints

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is anyone using Discord? I see primers 4-5 times a week. Going rate is ~$100/1,000 with the limits per day. They don’t last long, but they are there if you are willing to pay the $100.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I picked up 2K SPP from Brownells a couple of weeks ago. Not cheap. My favorite 9mm bullet, RMR 124gr MPR, are now back in stock. I received 2K today. It's better today than it has been for a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts