Primers for small primered brass

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by doc1911, Nov 13, 2011.

1. doc1911

doc1911 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2011
    Silly question. All I have reloaded in 45 ACP up to now has been with CCI large Pistol primers.
    I just bought 2000 rounds of Federal Champion 45ACP and they all have small primers.
    What brand of small pistol primers do you recommend? Also do the loads stay the same? I typically use 5.0 gr W231 with 200 gr LSWC's.
    Thanks for your help.

2. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Any small primer will work, and keep your loads the same.

I ran into some of the Speer clean-fire stuff some years ago, and didn't notice the small primers until I reloaded on the Dillon and the large primer wouldn't seat.

I know one of the engineers at Speer, so asked him about what you're wanting to know...and he said what i stated above. I did that and haven't had any problems.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Always wondered why they did that?
    Just to irritate reloaders ha ha.

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Federal and CCI are the most used from what I gathered when I started reloading earlier this year. You should be fine with either, but get Federal if you're worried about light primer strikes (like from a modified Glock).

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Grrr I hate that. Im reloading a buncj of .45 now and I am having to sort SP and LP brass as I go along. Mainly Federal and Blazer. Ive had good luck with Federal and CCI.

6. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    The small primers are because of the new lead free primers. From what I understand, there are ignition issues with the lead free compound in a large primer format. There is also small primer .308 brass out there, so keep an eye out for it too.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted