1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have gained a bit of weight over the last months (home too much and stress snacking while trying to find a new job). Since I tend to always carry OWB, with the added weight, I am noticing I am printing more than my 6’6” Frame would typically.

Anyhow, just a few observations; first, and we all know, the two things that heighten printing or not printing is both holster choice and butt profile (gun, not personal butt...well, for the most part).

My V-Bob in my favorite Tucker Gun Leather holster is far and away the best combo. It’s ride, cant and design coupled with the bobtail of the V-Bob make it just disappear. The down side is that when I am driving the butt tends to dig into my ribs a bit due to the high ride.

My P320 conceals pretty well in an El Paso Saddlery High Slide holster, but it becomes a bit uncomfortable after a while due to the barrel digging into my hip a bit. My Cook’s kydex is great for all day comfort but due to the lower ride and a minimal cant the butt tends to poke out a bit. The profile of the kydex does make the gun profile disappear, and as I have said in other post when I am on my motorcycle I like the positive retention of a kydex holster. Not that retention on my leather holsters is bad, but that confident “click” into place with the kydex is nice.

All in all, I still prefer the V-Bob and Tucker’s for concealability and all day comfort. He makes an outstanding holster!

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,162 Posts
I have reached the weight where small animals and objects tend to circle me due to my gravitational mass. I also carry full size handguns. Gone are the days of carrying at the 4-5 O'clock position. When I do, it looks like I am trying to smuggle a loaf of bread somewhere.

I typically carry a mid-rise OWB holster at the 3:00 position, now. My kydex holsters are all straight up and down, so they are a no-go without a coat on. I use forward cant leather holsters and a cover shirt at other times. I just make sure I pull the holster as far forward as is comfortable on my hip, and that's just how I deal with it.

I carry a 1911 commander size, a Sig P229 or an N Frame S&W this way. The only issue is I have to wrestle with the seatbelt buckle a bit when I get into the car.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I carry a bazooka in a Milt Sparks criterion holster, all day comfort but the downside is you have to learn to walk without bending your knee.:p
But seriously try an IWB
Oh, I have ‘em, just dont like ‘em!

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,295 Posts
It's winter just about everywhere (even here in AZ) right now, use a shoulder holster, the easiest way to carry by far IMHO and then work on losing 20-30 lbs for spring and summer ;)

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's winter just about everywhere (even here in AZ) right now, use a shoulder holster, the easiest way to carry by far IMHO and then work on losing 20-30 lbs for spring and summer ;)
Hummm, lose weight or just be happy with my V-bob in my Tucker...think I will keep on eating...:eek:.o:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts