Printing

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by RatBikeRod, Dec 22, 2018.

1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    So, I have gained a bit of weight over the last months (home too much and stress snacking while trying to find a new job). Since I tend to always carry OWB, with the added weight, I am noticing I am printing more than my 6’6” Frame would typically.

Anyhow, just a few observations; first, and we all know, the two things that heighten printing or not printing is both holster choice and butt profile (gun, not personal butt...well, for the most part).

My V-Bob in my favorite Tucker Gun Leather holster is far and away the best combo. It’s ride, cant and design coupled with the bobtail of the V-Bob make it just disappear. The down side is that when I am driving the butt tends to dig into my ribs a bit due to the high ride.

My P320 conceals pretty well in an El Paso Saddlery High Slide holster, but it becomes a bit uncomfortable after a while due to the barrel digging into my hip a bit. My Cook’s kydex is great for all day comfort but due to the lower ride and a minimal cant the butt tends to poke out a bit. The profile of the kydex does make the gun profile disappear, and as I have said in other post when I am on my motorcycle I like the positive retention of a kydex holster. Not that retention on my leather holsters is bad, but that confident “click” into place with the kydex is nice.

All in all, I still prefer the V-Bob and Tucker’s for concealability and all day comfort. He makes an outstanding holster!

2. Acroyer

Acroyer Off my meds Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    I have reached the weight where small animals and objects tend to circle me due to my gravitational mass. I also carry full size handguns. Gone are the days of carrying at the 4-5 O'clock position. When I do, it looks like I am trying to smuggle a loaf of bread somewhere.

I typically carry a mid-rise OWB holster at the 3:00 position, now. My kydex holsters are all straight up and down, so they are a no-go without a coat on. I use forward cant leather holsters and a cover shirt at other times. I just make sure I pull the holster as far forward as is comfortable on my hip, and that's just how I deal with it.

I carry a 1911 commander size, a Sig P229 or an N Frame S&W this way. The only issue is I have to wrestle with the seatbelt buckle a bit when I get into the car.

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I carry a bazooka in a Milt Sparks criterion holster, all day comfort but the downside is you have to learn to walk without bending your knee.:p
    But seriously try an IWB

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  4. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Oh, I have ‘em, just dont like ‘em!

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It's winter just about everywhere (even here in AZ) right now, use a shoulder holster, the easiest way to carry by far IMHO and then work on losing 20-30 lbs for spring and summer ;)

ORShooter and 1911 dawg like this.
  6. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Hummm, lose weight or just be happy with my V-bob in my Tucker...think I will keep on eating...:o.o:

7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Apparently you haven't found the correct one yet.
    Don't give up it's out there.

Mini Me and FWoo45 like this.
  8. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Check out warbird leather. Pretty and comfy. Paul is great to work with.

simonp and dstallguy like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted