pro ears was the choice

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by boatdoc, May 4, 2017.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I have been researching better electronic ear protection lately. I normally use Elvex disposable plugs and howard leight pros as I shoot indoors and feel doubling up is the best I can do to protect my hearing

The decision came down to peltor tactical pro vs pro ear golds
    I tried a pair of peltors tac pros( a buddy let me try his) and found them adequate as far as gun shot sound reduction(shots sounded like they were 20 feet away, still a bit sharp for me),Also they picked up ambient noises like my shoes walking . and seemed to amplify them to a level that was annoying to me

The proears have a proprietary electronic system that is very different from my HLs and from the peltors. They are easy to use and are not harsh or annoying when turned up (many others seem to have a lot of white noise at upper volume settings. These have very little. )

The pro ears gold arrived last night . The static noise reduction was evident from the minute I put them on. Turned on the head sets and I could hear conversation clearly as well. no artificial amplification was noted . IF I wanted them to be more sensitive, there are adjustments for gain. I prefer them as they came in

On the range, they were comfortable, worked well reducing gun shot sounds even the AR shots I was exposed to today. The shots sounded like they were at least 20 yards away. They are far better than my HL pros. For me , they are a better fit than the peltors as well. I am very pleased so far.

BTW if you do want a pair, you can save up to $80 by buying direct from them

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Gary1911A1 and Cyborg11 like this.
  2. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I have a pair of pro ear golds as well. I have been very happy with them. The company is good too. I broke the headband on mine, and they promptly sent me a new one.

The cut on the lower part of the ear cup makes it so i can shoot rifle and shotgun without bumping them on the stock. The Peltors look like they would give more clearance but they didn't for me. I think even though the Peltor is slimmer, The ear cup is longer and it kept interfering with the stock.

The pro ears are very good at picking ub subtle sounds if you crank them up a little. I can hear every woord someone is saying when they are on a different floor in my house :)

boatdoc likes this.

3. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    Looking into a new set myself. Anybody use the behind the head strap? I am leaning that way, but unsure...

4. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I just ordered a set, right now if you order through the company you will get $90.00 off and free shipping.

sellersm and boatdoc like this.
  5. sellersm

sellersm Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Exactly which model of Gold did you all order? They have the multiple "Gold" models...

john_anch_ak likes this.
  6. john_anch_ak

Mar 7, 2017
    I purchased the Pro Tac Plus Gold model. It looks like all of their gold models are regular price of $299.00 and they are all $90.00 off. The free shipping is a huge plus for me as I live in Alaska and damn few companies offer free shipping to Alaska. Most companies shove ups down our throats for shipping and they are very expensive compared to the usps

Quack, boatdoc and sellersm like this.
  7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I've had my PE's for over 15 years, and love them.

john_anch_ak and boatdoc like this.
  8. john_anch_ak

Mar 7, 2017
    I bought these to replace my rather ancient Dillon electronic hearing protectors. They will now have an honored place as backup!!

boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted