1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been researching better electronic ear protection lately. I normally use Elvex disposable plugs and howard leight pros as I shoot indoors and feel doubling up is the best I can do to protect my hearing

The decision came down to peltor tactical pro vs pro ear golds
I tried a pair of peltors tac pros( a buddy let me try his) and found them adequate as far as gun shot sound reduction(shots sounded like they were 20 feet away, still a bit sharp for me),Also they picked up ambient noises like my shoes walking . and seemed to amplify them to a level that was annoying to me

The proears have a proprietary electronic system that is very different from my HLs and from the peltors. They are easy to use and are not harsh or annoying when turned up (many others seem to have a lot of white noise at upper volume settings. These have very little. )

The pro ears gold arrived last night . The static noise reduction was evident from the minute I put them on. Turned on the head sets and I could hear conversation clearly as well. no artificial amplification was noted . IF I wanted them to be more sensitive, there are adjustments for gain. I prefer them as they came in

On the range, they were comfortable, worked well reducing gun shot sounds even the AR shots I was exposed to today. The shots sounded like they were at least 20 yards away. They are far better than my HL pros. For me , they are a better fit than the peltors as well. I am very pleased so far.

BTW if you do want a pair, you can save up to $80 by buying direct from them

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,488 Posts
I have a pair of pro ear golds as well. I have been very happy with them. The company is good too. I broke the headband on mine, and they promptly sent me a new one.

The cut on the lower part of the ear cup makes it so i can shoot rifle and shotgun without bumping them on the stock. The Peltors look like they would give more clearance but they didn't for me. I think even though the Peltor is slimmer, The ear cup is longer and it kept interfering with the stock.

The pro ears are very good at picking ub subtle sounds if you crank them up a little. I can hear every woord someone is saying when they are on a different floor in my house :)

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I just ordered a set, right now if you order through the company you will get $90.00 off and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I purchased the Pro Tac Plus Gold model. It looks like all of their gold models are regular price of $299.00 and they are all $90.00 off. The free shipping is a huge plus for me as I live in Alaska and damn few companies offer free shipping to Alaska. Most companies shove ups down our throats for shipping and they are very expensive compared to the usps

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I bought these to replace my rather ancient Dillon electronic hearing protectors. They will now have an honored place as backup!!

Reactions: boatdoc
1 - 8 of 8 Posts