1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Happiness is a range in your backyard
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice day today so I went out to the range to shoot the Staccato C.

Fired about 40 rounds when the 4th round in the current magazine went boom. Bottom of my hands were black and stinging and my face was stinging. Blew the magazine out of the gun. Scared the begeeba's out of me to say the least. I may have even said a bad word.

Checked myself and no damage to me, guess it was hot powder on my hands and face. As I always do, I had eye and ear protection on or I shudder to think about what may have happened to my eyes.

Checked the gun over pretty good and all seemed to be well. I then proceeded to shoot 290 more rounds through the gun and everything functioned well (with the exception of my groupings, my hands may have been shaking a bit more than normal).

When I got home I started to clean the gun and that's when I found an issue or two. The problem didn't show up until I started to get the gunk off. This was a real eye opener for me as it didn't occur to my tiny little brain while at the range that potential problems could be hidden because the gun was dirty. Rest assured I will not make that mistake again.

I think what happened is the round did not quite fully seat, leaving a tiny gap.

I'm not too good with describing things so I'll let the following pictures explain.

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

·
...Terminal Addict
1,114 Posts
Man, I am glad you are ok!

Glad to see the Staccato-C survived mostly unscathed, and hopefully there is no further damage hidden.

·
What me worry ?
11,331 Posts
Wow, I’m very happy your ok ,the rest can be addressed, replaced or fixed .
A long talk with STI is in order .
We need a good pilot to stay healthy at the beach .

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,153 Posts
Glad your ok...

Looks like it could be an buldged or unsupported round.

Reactions: pcso13 and B81

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Checked the gun over pretty good and all seemed to be well. I then proceeded to shoot 290 more rounds through the gun [...]
You've got balls. I would have given up on the gun immediately after it went kaboom, leaving me looking like Wiley Coyote after a failed attempt at catching the road runner.

I'm glad to hear you're okay, though.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
You've balls. I would have given up on the gun immediately after it went kaboom, leaving me looking like Wiley Coyote after a failed attempt at catching the road runner.

Agreed, glad your ok but not sure I would have continued to shoot it until cleaned and inspected

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've balls. I would have given up on the gun immediately after it went kaboom, leaving me looking like Wiley Coyote after a failed attempt at catching the road runner.

I appreciate the thought but stubbornness and lack of intelligence might describe today better. :oops:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Glad all of your digits and eyesight are OK. That was quite a kaboom.

Reactions: pcso13

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed, glad your ok but not sure I would have continued to shoot it until cleaned and inspected
You sir, are 100% correct and obviously a great deal smarter than I am. However, even though I tend to learn things the hard way I usually don't make the same mistake twice (except for golf, I do the same stupid things over and over playing golf :frown:).

Lesson learned in this case however.

·
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know ,I too was highly concerned untill the guys at the airport
@pcso13 flys out of reassured me that it’s fine , it seems he’s a daredevil and survival expert ,things like this happens to him all the time !

View attachment 265321
Seriously???

I pay those guys good money to keep that stuff secret. ;)

·
NRA Endowment member
3,149 Posts
What was the ammo?
New or Reload? Possibly a double charge.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
glad you are ok and use the right ear and eye pro. too bad you do not have a pic of your face after :)

IMHO a round that does not seat properly will not fire. I had that issue with LAX 185 gr fmj in cz/ dw guns. the slid e did not return to full battery and would not fire.

hope it never happens again

1 - 20 of 62 Posts