Problem Changing Grips

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, May 2, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Yes, I'm a newbie dummy regarding 1911's. I've changed grips on several DW's without a problem but I have one with my NH. The NH Krestel says it comes with "ultra-thin alumagrips". I tried putting on a standard thickness set and it fit and worked but my screws were buried way down in the grips, almost so that you couldn't see them. Is the fix for new grip bushings?

A month or so ago, I bought $300+ of Challis bushings, screws, o-rings, drivers, and both bushing tools just to have on hand for when I needed them. Could someone please tell me what's wrong & how to fix it? I might as well ask, when installing bushings, do you need to use lok-tite? Thank you,

Jim D

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Longer screws for one, but you should replace the bushings as well so there's more bushing into the grip hole for better security than just a 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch as it is currently.

Novak77 and WC145 like this.

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Sounds like you need to swap the bushings out for standard thickness. As for the thread locker, I use a drop of blue loctite on mine whenever replacing bushings. Hope this helps, and good luck!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I have had good results keeping screws from backing out (if you have that problem) by using #60 O-rings. You can buy a pack of 10 of them at Home Depot in the plumbing section for about $3, last I checked.

The #60 O-rings are fatter than those sold by Challis. The might be a good solution for you with the thin grip bushings. At $0.30 each, I don't care much if they get deformed, so I tighten them down fairly well. The friction from the rubber keeps the screws from backing out. No lock-tite to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Z

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Good point @ZoidMeister , I never really consider the locking in function of the o-rings. I do however use them because they offer a little extra cushion for my grips, and help prevent over tightening, which can result in wood grip panels cracking.
    I guess using both loctite, and o-rings combined may be overkill, but I've had zero issues since I started using both, that's proof enough for me that it works as advertised.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  6. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    You need to replace the bushings with standard ones, since they are currently slim. As stated use a little blue loctite on the bushings only, it isn’t needed on the screws. O rings will help with keeping the screws in place.

HOTCHKIS likes this.
  7. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    ZoidM,
    Thanks a bunch, and thank all of you. I just ordered 50 #60 o-rings. Any other money saving tips? I might have to put you on the payroll. Can you scrape by on $250,000.00 per year?

BCD 45

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm not a fan of loctite on small very fine thrds. I torque the Challis bushings a bit when I install them. If I don't shoot the gun a lot they don't seem to come loose...If I shoot the gun a lot I usually have the grips off for cleaning often enough I recheck that they are still tight...... but thats just me.... the guy that had to deal with trying to clean very fine small threads of loctite for many years in the business.

Mike Meints and WC145 like this.
  9. Moad

Moad Edge of Glory

Sep 4, 2011
    I have Challis bushings on all my guns. I have never found it necessary to use Loctite.

Ditch the Loctite is my recommendation!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

The other issue with using loctite on grip screws is that you are MUCH more likely to rip out the bushings when you change your grips. Then you will most likely destroy the bushings gripping them with channellock pliers trying to back out the screw.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Moad likes this.
  11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

I would be very willing to give it a go. When and where do I report for work?

@tac45 , I resign, again . . . .

gps man and tac45 like this.
  12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    If the screws were buried in the grips, it sounds like you were using standard grips with thin bushings and screws. All the bits need to match to ensure no damage to the grips.

Ive also found the #60 o-rings are too fat. They hinder the thread engagement of the screws and have the screws sit proud of the grip. I use Challis o-rings. One gunsmith here used to make o-rings from clear poly tubing, those worked well also

duketbrd88 likes this.
  13. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    What kind of standard size grips did you try putting on? There is a a shelf inside the grips and the grip screws should only go so far, unless they are wood grips, then you can over tighten them. I have found the #60 to fat also, the challis and vz grip o-rings always worked great for me.

14. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    @ZoidMeister
    I didn't mean that I loctite the screws themselves, only the bushings, and then use the o-rings on the bushings, and screws...
    I probably didn't word it right.

I basically follow Brian Challis' instructions, and it has been working great for me.

ZoidMeister and stlgecko like this.
  15. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    +1 for new bushings and or O rings.

16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Not again @ZoidMeister , OK, send $249,999 pre year resignation fee in CASH plus’s 758900 bananas for your relatives I employ,and don’t forget to send notarized no compete paperwork +seven figure donation to the TTT retirement fund. !!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Ohh and one o-ring .

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Loctite on bushings is serious overkill IMHO, I've never even had one work it's way loose. If you have the Challis tool you can get them plenty tight with no fear of stripping them

19. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Yes sir, the grips are wood and the shelf in them is deep. They look fine using 2 VZ 0-rings on each screw. Thank all of you.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    ZoidM,
    I'm getting the details worked out & be in touch later. Does no English, snakes, insects, and 125 degree heat bother you????????????

BCD 45

duketbrd88 and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Are you using thin gip bushings?
    If you are using the proper bushings and screws, there will be no room for two o-rings on each screw

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted