1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Sister to the range yesterday to teach her to shoot & care for her Ruger LCP.
I bought a box of American Eagle 95gr FMJs 50 count.
I did lube it before we went to the range.
We had 12 FTF & FTE out of 50 rounds. Also I have never encountered a pistol that needed this much effort to rack the slide.
A complete tear down today I saw two recoil springs the inner spring is not straight & the outer is mostly straight. Do not think this is unusual but my 1911 springs are nice & straight,
With 11 out of 50 FTF & FTE with 95gr FMJ loads. I felt the unusually high effort needed to rack the slide might lead to the FTE & FTF problem. Not a reliable pistol at all.

Why is the slide so hard to rack? Would it hurt to remove the inner spring?
Do you have any knowledge of this pistol & any of the problems I have listed?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Is this a new gun?

Reactions: Mike A

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I have a LCP II. FWIW, this is what my recoil spring looks like:

20181021_150934.jpg

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a LCP II. FWIW, this is what my recoil spring looks like
Contact Ruger about it. I have 3 of them and not a problem at all. The short slides and spring setup are a little stiff but loosen up with use.
That's what these springs look like.

Well I just bought 100 more 95gr FMJ rounds. I will just go out tomorrow & shoot it. It should loosen up & run right.

Thanks guys, I think it is just new & needs a good run before it
starts to run right. I'll let you know :).

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well now for a range report. Today we shot 75 rounds of Federal
& Remington 95gr FMJ ammo with only 3 malfunctions.
Two FTE & one FTF.
I do believe that things are getting better. Another 2 boxes ought to fix anymore problems.

Now for something completely different.
After 2 years without Betsy she's back :).
I shot my Colt Trooper MKIII today & it was great.
Two years ago my Colt was way out of time with a very dangerous trigger. Without going into great detail I found a Gun Smith who was not afraid of Colt Revolvers. He timed & fixed Betsy to where She shoots like a Young Colt again.

I kept believing that she would be back in my stable someday & now she's home. Some day I may go into great detail about what she went through. But for now all I care about is I have
my First Firearm back by my side. She was born in 1969. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts