Colt Production guns

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 1911fanatic, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:18 PM.

1. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    This is sort of a different topic, maybe.

When it comes to off the shelf production 1911’s, I’ve narrowed what I look at to 2 brands. These are Dan Wesson, and Colt. I don’t even look at other production level 1911’s anymore. I’ve come to the conclusion, for me anyway, that if I deviate from Colt or DW, it’ll be in the custom realm, (gun crafter, or ACW).

When you guys and gals are at a shop browsing, do you have a list of what you look at, and what you pass by?

I’ve owned Springfield, Taurus, Colt, DW, etc. I gravitate to DW because I think it is top dog in the production realm. And Colt, well, because it’s Colt and I’m a sucker for almost anything Colt.

I realize that other brands have things going for them, this is what I like, and I’m curious about you’re thoughts.

We aren’t talking semi custom here or what should I buy. I know me, and I know what I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    My preference is Dan Wesson. The last two Colts I bought were fraught with problems. Poor finish, machine marks, etc. Overrated. Every DW I have was immaculate.

3. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    Hard to beat Dan Wesson lot of gun for the money.
    It's like the Toyota Corolla of the 1911 world.
    ETA okay maybe the Camry.
    I wouldn't own a Corolla.
    Even better perhaps, the Honda Civic.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    1911fanatic and Colorado Sonny like this.
  4. mauserfan

mauserfan Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Colt is the brand that all others are judged by. They have had their issues but a Colt is a Colt. As far as guns that just plain shoot....it's tough to beat a Springfield Armory. There are shooters that like to impress by what they shoot. .....then there are the shooters that simply impress by how they shoot. There is no substitute for time spent behind the sights.
    Darrel

july19, switchback and rmac like this.
  5. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I have had 3 Dan Wessons, one of which was a custom. They were great pistols, but frankly, the quality of the two recent Colts I have purchased have made the cost difference between Colt and DW unnecessary. I would buy a Colt CCU before I would buy the analogous DW, and then buy ammo with the difference.

6. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    For production 1911's, Colt and DW are also the only ones I really look at anymore. If I am going to keep it stock, DW all the way. If I am planning on modifying or using a pistol as a base, it can only be Colt.

7. Boldkarma

Boldkarma Active Member

Oct 20, 2019
  8. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    That is my opinion as well. There is just something about a Colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin_TX and AJP like this.
  9. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Colt, Colt, Colt. I have several of the well known expensive guns but it keeps turning out that when I carry a 1911 as opposed to a 2011, I use a Colt as an everday carry gun. Not bashing Dw, but had a bad experience with a DW, and I do not buy nitride guns so that eliminates a lot of DWs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Whiten likes this.
  10. Zero1911

Zero1911 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I hate that Sig has nice 1911’s

Ingramite likes this.
  11. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm a Colt fan, I prefer the look, the balance, and the legacy. I'd take a well built custom Colt over a new "semi-custom" anything every time. I also like Springfields, though not as much Colts. I have no interest in DWs, Kimbers, SIGs, etc.. Higher end stuff is considered on a case by case basis, though I'm liking what ACW is doing as a manufacturer these days.

12. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm a DW and Colt fanboy....
    But I must say...I like my TRP..... I think the TRP is worth a look

13. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Those who know me will know.
    I am going with Colt Firearms & for these reasons.

My 1917 Colt 1911 is so perfect, it was built by true craftsmen.
    My 2011 Colt 1911 is a very well built 1911 with CNC machining.

Oh hell I know that Colt has had problems, & at just 68
    I have had issues in my life. I had the first year production
    of the first Colt 1911 Officers model 45 acp.

I will not spend to much time on one gun, however this
    was a real POS from brand new. I traded it on a Commander
    after 1 year of trying to fix it,

I have 9 Colt 1911s & I trust every one of them. So you did
    ask. I vote for a brand new Colt 1911 in the flavor of your choice.

Yes indeed look at the fit or lack of at the rear where slide
    meets the frame & over the years I have seen some pretty poor fits.
    I have fit slides to frame, it's not easy to get a great fit but it
    can be done with time & attention to detail. By hand of course.

Today maybe not Tooday, you could buy a brand new reliable
    1911 From the ORG Mfg. for under 1,000 bucks. Not bad for
    a quality 1911 with a Pony on it. :happy:

colt1.png

14. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Mostly DW has left me cold, hard to explain , just never bonded with most of their offerings. Fine 1911 at their price point, which is ever increasing. Once they reach Baer $$ its a no brainer - for me

But I'm a Colt guy thru and thru, but do have an older springfield GI model. I'm a sucker for vertical cocking serrations. I live in a lightly populated area, so locally not too many 1911s to ogle.

1911fanatic likes this.
  15. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I have one factory Colt, a rattle trap of a Wiley Clapp that just shoots well, the other three have been customized by NHC, GCI, and Jim Garthwaite. The only other production gun I’ll buy are Dan Wesson’s,
    of which Ive owned more than my share. Every one came with a first rate fit’ finish, and performed
    like a semi custom. You can say I’m a fan.

16. Boldkarma

Boldkarma Active Member

Oct 20, 2019
    That's the thing with Colts like a box of chocolates not knowing what you will get; ) My Wiley Clapp is pretty tight for a Colt with no rattles.

17. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Have had good luck with both Colt and Dan Wesson. Can't go wrong with either.

18. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I'm a DW fanboy if you couldn't tell. All mine even the pre CZ ones are fit and finished very well. I probably have had less than 20 hiccups in the tens of thousands of rounds put thru them, and about half were magazine related. The main gripe against them is the nitrided finish will mark if you use the wrong cleaners, but if you don't want to heed the manuals recommendations for products to use then you can't blame the finish.

19. Boldkarma

Boldkarma Active Member

Oct 20, 2019
    I have never seen a tougher finish then the Duty Finish on DW. My 2010 Valor still looks new and its carried alot.

Dwe, HooDoo Man, july19 and 1 other person like this.
  20. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I learned to roll my own, but...

Have any of you guys seen a Colt 1911 put together at the Colt Plant???

NOT, a lot of hand fitting there, and what is done, is done very fast and away we go!

Just sayin!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted