Project 10mm

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by gravygrabber, Dec 9, 2018.

1. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Hi, new guy here to the forum. Anyway wanted to build a 1911 for awhile. Mechanic by trade, no shortage of tools or mechanical ability or anything. Was going to get an older frame like an AMT/Detonics or something and slowly build up something. Then I was looking at a 1911 builder/Fusion kit. Saw this pistol at a gun show. Looked like someones abandoned project.

It's a Caspian slide, Ultimatch .400 barrel, JPE frame. Ported/slide cuts, looks like a reverse crowned barrel. Has a bushing. Has a combat hammer and beaver tail. After doing some research looks like JPE just imported frames from who knows where and gov. mags don't fit which is what's going on with mine. They "fit" but stick out the bottom.
    It won't chamber a 10mm round. Gets stuck like halfway. Hmmm. Plenty of black crud in the barrel I thought for sure it's been shot and I had a functional gun. Guess not :(

Wondering what I should do first. I'm thinking maybe the barrel wasn't reamed yet? I could buy the tools and ream it to 10MM? I don't think it's .400 Corbon since that uses a .45 ACP for it's parent case...

IMG-3911.JPG IMG-3911.JPG IMG-3917.JPG IMG-3912.JPG IMG-3926.JPG

KS95B40 likes this.
  2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Welcome to the forum....
    53261ca0beb89434633982977157328b.gif

Mike Meints, Capthobo and ZoidMeister like this.

3. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    WHEELS likes this.
  4. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Welcome,

Just for shots and giggles do you have a .40 s&w kicking around?

5. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Ya, tried it too. Won't go in fully. A little discouraging but I guess I'll learn. Hope I didn't get too screwed.

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Interesting there isn't a complete photo of the right hand side (starboard side), the top of the slide, or the muzzle.

Barrel looks like it may be cut for an external extractor. With the amount of "flesh" in the barrel between the bore and external surface, what's the possibility you have a .38 Super barrel.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Waiting for the "Paul Harvey" moment on this one . . . . . .

BenchMonkey likes this.
  8. BenchMonkey

Nov 28, 2018
    Could be a genuine wildcat, but .400 bore? Just WAG's at this point.

9. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    When I google "Ultimatch cal. .400" it comes up to Schuemann Barrels.
    It's got a internal extractor.
    I tried a 9mm and the whole round went through bullet and case just fell through. So it can't be .38 super.
    I'm guessing it just wasn't ever reamed. The barrel ramp and chamber look new. The rest of the barrel was unfortunately sanded/worked on. Schuemann has pics on their website where they put a number on the barrel which decodes what it is. Of course it was sanded off.
    I can put up more pictures if it helps. I'm puzzled by the parts.

10. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    No disrespect intended, but I don't think it's the barrel that got reamed, or the only part that got "sanded / worked on".

The entire gun might be a "wildcat" and not just the chamber.

Did the previous owner leave ANY markings on the gun, other than the Caspian logo on the slide?

Screenshot_20181210-055520.png

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The magazine fit you are describing sounds like it might be an officer size frame, and not a full size.

12. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    It says Caspian on the other side too. It’s got a lot of blending, the top of the slide is rounded I don’t think Caspian makes them like that.
    I can try and take more pictures for you. I’m a little bummed out at this point I feel like I paid for a paperweight.

Should I measure the chamber next with a mic?

What wildcat uses .400 barrel?
    Could I ream it to 10MM?

Oh researching JPE frames Sarco sold them and they are like a cut down Government frame but they made them weird and neither mag works nor do grips since the grip holes are in the wrong spot. They sold mags that fit in the past but they weren’t very good. I’m thinking I can add a magwell and make my own grips or replace the thing with a good frame

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
  14. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Looks like it yes. Should I mic the chamber? Call Schuemann and ask what they think?

15. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

I got nuthin . . . . . .

I don't have a lot of experience with barrels chambered for unobtainium calibers and bullets. I am thinking you would be money, effort and $$$ ahead choosing a different barrel from a contemporary manufacturer. Giving Schuemann a call might give you clues obtainable no where else on the original design for this barrel.

Good luck with your research. I tried to go further down the rabbit hole but encountered this page . . . . . .

http://hmpg.net/

Then got this . . . . . .

Flagrant_Error.png

I have to go rebuild my solid state drive now. It has been corrupted with Windows 3.11 OS DLL's . . . . .

static-02.gif

BenchMonkey likes this.
  16. gravygrabber

gravygrabber New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Sorry I just wanted to learn, figured I could buy a project and try and revive it.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. It's a .400 barrel, if the chamber isn't big enough what's the problem with reaming it to 10MM now? The barrel/slide are already fit and the gun function checks as is.

17. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

No issues with learning, I cannot function as your "instructor" beyond this point however. Re-chambering a barrel is beyond my experience level / pay grade.

Maybe @Joe C , @lsbbigdog , or @EvolutionArmory can bring some sanity to this. That too, is beyond my experience level / pay grade . . . . . . .

BenchMonkey likes this.
  18. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    If you really want to identify the barrels dimensions make a cast of it with Cerrosafe. Measure all the relevant measurements and determine what it is. Cerrosafe is designed to melt at extremely low temperature and is reusable.

BenchMonkey likes this.
  19. BenchMonkey

Nov 28, 2018
    I really like the idea of a chamber cast but I don't think it will yield any results. As far as my limited knowledge extends, the 10mm and .40 smith are the only .400 bore cartridges in wide use today. OP stated that both would only go about "half" way in, now if correct I'm thinking unfinished blank awaiting final reaming (all that sanding to clean it up) to either of those or a caliber not in wide use like 10mm Mag or .40 G&A to name a couple.

Actually reading through again, what matches up to the slide face and ejector?

My guess? He got a project. Someone somewhere started out with a build, either through loss in a poker game or on some yard sale table and here you are.

Or worse, some ding dong cobbled togeather the best of a box o stuff....yeeesh.....

ZoidMeister likes this.
  20. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    There used to be a proprietary cartridge called 400 Corbon I think, and there may be other things out there. I fear, like Bench monkey, that it was someone's failed project. All that means is you might not be able to use every part that you got with this gun.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted