Proper sight alignment

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by nmbuzz, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large Supporting Addict

Apr 9, 2013
  2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011

3. nmbuzz

Apr 9, 2013
    Well, It's a place to start.

41 Charlie, boatdoc and limbkiller like this.
  4. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    We are all point shooters here. We don't need no stinkin' sights.

Sights are for limp wristers with excessively thick hard chrome.

5. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
  6. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    I actually use that video in my classes to demonstrate sight alignment, for those that choose to use it.

Sterling Archer and nmbuzz like this.
  7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair.

Aug 18, 2011
    Dang I was taught that at twelve before I was allowed to go tree rat hunting. That was 50 years ago.

Kip, Sterling Archer and nmbuzz like this.
  8. nmbuzz

Apr 9, 2013
    No, we are not all point shooters here. Some of us aim to hit what we shoot at.

Some of us like to hit what we "point" at. All of the pistols, rifles, revolvers I have seen on this forum or made by any mfg have ALL had sights on them. Even shotguns have a bead or a dot.
    You are Not required to use them any more than you are required to use certain lobes of your brain. BUT they (sights and brains) are there, just in case, you would like to utilize them. Some of us like to improve our shooting abilities and when you reach the "pinnacle" of reach and bang ...something like scores will be needed to keep track.
    I do understand if you cannot hit what you aim at then by all means, point and shoot! Repeat if necessary. Most weapons are repeaters and you may get lucky. Chicago is rife with "point and shoot" disciples as are many of our major cities. It seems they hit many things and people and a few may have even been "targeted".
    Much of what is discussed on this forum has to do with accuracy. Just trying to keep this thread
    "accurate". NMBUZZ

Kip, boatdoc and Avenger1 like this.
  9. nmbuzz

Apr 9, 2013
    I am guessing you were taught to use the sights LK, as was I. I also believe there are many
    new shooters and gun owners out there who had no upbringing regarding shooting or hunting and many believe a semi auto pistol is ONLY good from 7 yds and in. Spray and Pray.
    I would love to hear of the results of one of your squirrel hunts utilizing a 1911 with a 22 conversion on it. NMBUZZ

Kip likes this.
  10. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    looks like the shooter is 1/2 way to shooting ghetto thug style a few more degrees toward horozontal and he will have it

11. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Your sarcasm meter must be completely nonfunctional.

If you have seen my posts on the point shooting thread, you would know I was just having a little fun here.

I believe in training using sights. And that in the unlikely event that dire circumstances at short range just demand point shooting, then the muscle memory built up by using sights in practice will take care of things.

12. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    I think many shooters of varying skill "think" shooting over 10 -15 feet is HARDER due to the distance. As you try it out, you find it is your skills and consistency that matter most, not the distance.

of course , more experienced shooters know how to adjust sighting for longer distances--JMHO

nmbuzz likes this.
  13. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    not sure if thugs actually point--they shoot --a lot- quantity not quality and a lot of luck to get hits

nmbuzz likes this.
  14. nmbuzz

Apr 9, 2013
    Except for the fact that I shoot left handed...and the fact that my sight alignment is exactly like his... until JUST before the shot breaks.... and the 10 ring X ring scores I don't recognize at all
    that could be me cause my front and rear sights and the target are all fuzzy just like his!!

15. ligocally

ligocally Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I've taken a couple of squirrels with a Colt .22 unit on a 1911, while walking alongside of a guy who had a Marlin .22lr Glenfield autorifle, who just didn't bring it into play fast enough. I've also used such a glenfield, with a scope on it, to hit a running .22 rabbit before a buddy could do so with his 12 ga. I simply looked alongside the barrel, swung thru the bunny and fired 3x. third shot was for nothing, cause the second one had downed him, but the barrel blocked my view at that moment.

All the power and accuracy in the world dont mean a thing if a .22lr gets to the brain first.

16. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    Sights are useless. Here's me point shooting at 100 yards with a 1911. Don't need no stinking sights!

It even works at 80 yards with a real 1911A1

Kip and Sterling Archer like this.
  17. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair.

Aug 18, 2011
    :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro: Been a hunter all my life and there isn't a pistol shooter in the world who could get a rabbit before I did when I had a shotgun. I promise ya!!!!!!!!!!

Kip and nmbuzz like this.
  18. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    You young guys have steadier hands than some of old folks. Not to mention better eyes.

I guarantee you my groups are tighter at 15 yards than at 25 yards.

cghelton and Kip like this.
  19. nmbuzz

Apr 9, 2013
    Dang , That is impressive! I looked up all the Natl champions in Precision and other disiplines
    of pistol shooting the last couple years and I didn't see Avenger 1. But it is on You Tube and I heard a ding so it must be the real deal. Amazing! Also, I noticed your pistols had SIGHTS on them. WHY?

What is an unreal 1911A1 BTW ?

Kip and Avenger1 like this.
  20. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    This is a real man here 100yds using his killer's intuition/black op magic/mind's eye to aim. Props glad there are a few real men on this board**just sarcasm NMBuzz**

Kip, Avenger1 and nmbuzz like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted