1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some discoloration of my TRP frame under the grips. What’s the view on preventing this ? Light coating (of what ?) on the frame before putting them back on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
In for info.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,149 Posts
I’ve experienced some G10 grips leave a mark on the frame of some guns. What I’ve done is to fine sand the back side with 400-600 grit sandpaper and then I cut a protector of exact grip size from a clear plastic ziplock freezer bag to install under the grip.
Note: freezer style bags are a bit thicker than standard ziplock bags.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,992 Posts
I use a thin layer of white grease, it works.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Challis. Challis. Challis.

http://www.challisgrips.com/c/18-Bushings-Accessories.aspx

I bought one set of bushings and O rings to try. I now have them on all my 1911s and use their bushing removal tool. Everything else is second best.
Jeff
I use Challis too, but I still get the marks - especially on stainless frames. I think any kind of thin substrate under the grip would help, but for $2.50 I'm gonna try those frame savers. I've been meaning to try a set of Aluma-Grips ever since I saw a picture of someone's Deep River Custom with a pair I really liked.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I will have to try some grip savers. I have some really expensive shotguns and I’ve shot them a lot. I mean A LOT. They have some dings and bluing wear, even though I take good care of them. If you use stuff it looks, well, used. I have a few pistols I shoot a lot - 3,000 to 5,000 rounds a year through each. I don’t expect them to look like safe queens, which I have zero use for. I know guys who have guns refinished if there’s one ding in the wood or the tiniest amount of bluing wear. Seems like a waste of time and money to me. When guys buy guns to put in the safe and just look at I wonder if they married a gorgeous woman would they just look at her, or take her to bed? I know which camp I’m in!
Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts