Proud owner of a brand spanking new...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajstrider, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace Laserguard! I know I know, it isn't the same as a Wilson Combat Supergrade or anything, but that is why it isn't in the general 1911 forum! Anyways, I could snap some photos of it if anyone wanted but I think most of us know what it looks like. After reading some reviews and talking to a few people, I decided on this to be my small handgun for concealed carry when you have to go small. I wasn't going to get the laserguard but I honestly like the feel of a little bit more grip circumference from the laser and it will probably benefit me as an aiming tool I am sure. It isn't really cumbersome on the gun. I picked up two spare mags and package (two in a pack) of the Pearce grip extensions so my fingers have somewhere to go and gives me something to grab if I have to strip the magazine from the gun forcefully, which commonly happens with small guns and their magazine releases. The best part was that the gun was put on sale in front of my eyes by the LGS owner. He came around to help me and decided to put them on sale, $50 off, because he has quite a supply of them. $400 for gun and laserguard together. I do not normally get good deals on firearms like everyone else, I am just not much of a deal looker, I tend to buy when I want things. But for a normall $300 gun and $175 laserguard, I think $400 was a pretty good deal. I have not shot it yet because I am going to order an assortment of ammunition and wanted to give it a good cleaning first. I will post the initial range report and range trips later on to keep up with this gun. I think small pocket pistols get overlooked a lot, which is not good, because they are what most of us carry on a regular basis.

I will go ahead and post the two dislikes I had with the gun before I bought it, but things I was willing to live with. One, the slide doesn't lock back on empty magazine, and two, the slide release is hard to operate, but not much of a problem if the slide doesn't lock back on last round anyways to be honest.

2. Drgracin72

Drgracin72 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    congrats... great little pocket gun!

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've been thinking about picking up one of these just to have one. They're cheap enough that it's almost a "might as well." It would be an alternative to the 642 as a backup gun when I'm at work. They're pretty flat, that's for sure. :thumb:

Andy

4. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Congrats! I have a couple of semi-Hi end guns. But i must admit i carry my magnum research mini .380 most often.

5. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    As much as I love 1911s, i also have a soft spot for pocket .380 pistols...

I really like my LCP... I've gotten use to the trigger as well and am very happy with how it shoots to ten feet.

Get some range time and enjoy!

6. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Have the LC9 and I love it shoots great, no FTF, no failures at all, accurate for a small 9mm, great back up piece, perfect boot gun

7. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats on the LCP. Great little pocket gun.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    My LCP shoots great with about 750 rounds through it. I've had mine for some time and it was a little sticky at first. I ran about 250 rounds through it and would have about one in twenty (or so) failure to feed. It got better over time, BUT I went to the Wolff 13# springs and that fixed it. I bought the calibration pak (11#, 12#, 13#) and intended to go down in weight over time.. But I'm hanging with the 13# until it needs to be replaced. The guide rod is sacrificial on the LCP and will peen the head around 500 rounds. Ruger knows about this and people using heavier springs, so they'll give you one for free. I can't see running more than "mag clearing" through it after breakin anyhow, so I doubt I'll need a third guide rod.

The grip and trigger pull takes a lot of getting used to. The trigger pull is so long and the grip is so small that it's hard to keep a grip throughout the entire trigger pull. I use a "teacup" grip in that I basically shoot it with a single hand normal grip sitting on top of my palm up week hand. That works best for me and is quite natural.

The other thing about the LCP is that there's nothing to lock the slide in battery and with such a light spring, it will come out of battery when holstered. It seems to go back into battery when un-holstered, but it's a bit disconcerting. The stronger recoil spring will help there as well. The LCP carries great in a wallet holster (like uncle george) in a back pocket or front cargo pocket.

I find the LCP to be quite accurate at sever yards and I can put the entire magazine on a paper plate at that distance; often on a softball size target. If you want to stage the trigger you can get pretty good hits, but that's not what the LCP is for really. I empty the magazine as fast as I can..

The LC9 seems a-bit too big for use as a pocket pistol IMO. I thought I wanted one when they first debuted, BUT changed my mind when I got my hands on a $450 example. Recently however, I have thought I'll probably buy one for end-table, walking for the mail, mowing, etc.. when they reach $300 shipped... Ron

9. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    The Pearce grip extension makes the grip feel great to me, I also like the feel of the laser activation switch on the front of the grip.

10. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Congrats. I love my LCP. I always have it in my pocket. It sees more carry time that anything else TBH. If I just run to the store or something real quick, it is always with me.

11. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    ajstrider, enjoy your Ruger, it's a fine pistol! I was lucky this time to be able to get a supergrade, though I sold off quite a bit to get it..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted